WAFFENFABRIK MAUSER, OBERNDORF A/N 30-06

• 4.6K Views
  • Last Post 12 June 2008
linoww posted this 11 June 2008

There is one at a local shop in 30-06 that seems to be original military style.The numbers do  no all match,but otherwise seem original configuration.Barrel in marked 30-06 in front of reliever ring.Original ???

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 11 June 2008

It might be an original chambering in .30/06 if it's a Mauser 1925 Special Range Rifle. I couldn't find any information about calibers for that version.

My guess is it's not an original chambering.

Attached Files

barrel contour is 100% like an original 8mm i compared it to.Strange somebody would go through all that trouble to make in an '06 barrel for it.Bore is mint and barrel seems to be newer than the action.I am curious who may have done these conversions.

George

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 11 June 2008

The Model 25 Special Range rifle was imported to the USA between WW1 - WW2 for shooting competition.  I couldn't find any chambering information on it.  I would find it surprising the US would want to shoot an 8mm in competition instead of a .30/06.

Attached Files

Model 25 was Sporter style similar to the NRA/NRB Springfield 1903's.

George

Attached Files

sfoster posted this 11 June 2008

I have seen a number of KAR98k rifles that were rebarreled to 30-06,  but otherwise unaltered, that were done by the Norwegians shortly after the end of WWII.  These used to be fairly inexpensive, but have skyrocketed lately. 

I remember them all being nice looking, well done rifles.  Wish I bought one when I had the chance.

Matching numbers sometimes occured, but does not seem to be the rule.

If you like it, and the price is right, buy it.  I'm sure with a little bit of informed advrtising you could recoup your costs if you don't like the way it shoots.

Sean

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 12 June 2008

I have a FN 24 south american mauser,with KAR lenght barrel and straight bolt handle.

Originally in 7x57 were rebarreled by the firm FAMAGE fabrica material de guerra in 30-06 after the second world war.I do not recall if it was costarica or ecuador.

The national crest lies under the front scope base.I sporterized the rifle,years ago,now I am repented.I would not ruin the collector value of theese old guns.

There is a small cut in the front of the action to allow ejection of loaded rounds.

I have read that many 98K mausers after the war were rebarreled in 30-06 or 308W by the Israelis bearing waffenamt eagles and the star of David.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 12 June 2008

I was told (by Ric Bowman) it may be Israeli converted during the British occupation prior to the state of Israel in the early 40's .I guess they converted anything they could to 30-06 as they could get ammunition and barrels fro the US. I probably will buy it if it is still at the shop.I wonder if it would be legal for our military shoots?

George

Attached Files

sfoster posted this 12 June 2008

Here is a link on the KAR98k, with information near the bottom of the article on both Norwegian, and Isreali conversions.  The Norwegian has the flat milled onto the receiver for a new serial number, and the Third Reich markigs are left alone.  Isreali mausers selsom will have an un-defaced swastika.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner_98k>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karabiner98k

Sean

Attached Files

linoww posted this 12 June 2008

I waited too long gun was just sold.

Thanks for all the information guys.I'll be better informed next time.

George

Attached Files

R. Dupraz posted this 12 June 2008

There were surplus Belgian army 98's in 30-06 made by FN sold in the 50's and Israelie  FN's in .308 in the seventies

RD 

Attached Files

Close