222 Rem Coated vs Uncoated Test

• Last Post 29 December 2021
Paul Pollard posted this 05 January 2021

The last test with this rifle had case necks so loose that the bullets fell back onto the powder when chambering. Accuracy was really good, if you wanted to use ALL the target. Back in the loading room, I switched out the .248 bushing for a .246 bushing. The same test was run with the same batches of bullets. The powder charge used the highest charge last time as the starting point and increased in half click increments. IMR 4227, CCI 450 primers. Powder charge this time 13.3 grains through 14.3 grains. The final group was with 300MP at 12.4 grains. 

The bullets were RCBS 22-055 SP about 18 BHN, gas checked and lubed with Blue Angel. The coated bullets used Eastwood Ford Light Blue, ASBBT; baked at 400 degrees for 20 minutes. The coated bullets did not shoot well until hitting 2400 fps. When looking at all the 4227 loads, the choroplast backer showed that the bullets were entering at an angle. The group with MP300 showed point-on hits on the target and was the smallest group for coated bullets at 1.2". The average for the coated groups was 2.837 for 5 groups of ten shots.

The uncoated bullets averaged 1.625" for 5, 10 shot groups. Four of these groups were about 1.250, with one group of 3". 

The bullet coating looks like a viable thing. My wife liked the 30 caliber bullets because they were shiny and clean. I shot a few samples of these. I forgot how much that rifle kicks. A ten shot group of 1.375 and a 7 shot group of .875. That's all the sample I made. These were coated with Smoke's Jet Black to match the color of her rifle's stock. No lube was used on these. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 06 January 2021

It has certainly opened my eyes. Just remarkable how the coating adheres to alloy.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 07 January 2021

At what range were these groups ?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 07 January 2021

Thanks for reporting your results Paul.  This coating stuff is getting more and more interesting.

I wonder why the coated bullets didn't like the lower velocities?

John

Attached Files

Paul Pollard posted this 07 January 2021

WW - These were all 10 shot, 100 yard groups. 

John - It seems to me that the coating is slipperier than uncoated. I also learned that slipprier  is not a word! My 1:14 twist puts everything on the edge of stability, too.

Paul

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Geargnasher
John Alexander posted this 08 January 2021

Ah yes.  I didn't think of the old standard twist for the 222. However, that twist stabilizes the RCBS 55 grain bullet in my 222s even at low velocities.

John

Attached Files

4and1 posted this 08 January 2021

I don't think changing from naked bullets to PC bullets can necessarily share the same load. Yes, PC bullets are very slippery. A new load work-up is called for. But they shoot!

Attached Files

Wheel Weights posted this 10 January 2021

AGAIN what range ?

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 10 January 2021

He already stated:

“ WW - These were all 10 shot, 100 yard groups.”

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Geargnasher posted this 26 December 2021

I don't think changing from naked bullets to PC bullets can necessarily share the same load. Yes, PC bullets are very slippery. A new load work-up is called for. But they shoot!

This is absolutely correct.  No direct comparisons with the same load can be very meaningful, the powder charge and seating depth are best optimized for powder coated bullets as the preferences--and advantages-- of the coating are somewhat different. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Maven
Eutectic posted this 29 December 2021

I noticed the same results in lubricant testing. "Better" lubricants "allowed" higher velocities. I think what was actually happening was the powder required a minimum pressure to achieve consistent burning. You can argue about the inertia vs bore friction ratio showing the bore friction is a minimal part, but minimal is not non-existent. The "better" lubes required a higher charge to shoot accurately. does the same apply to PC?

Going to a faster powder, lower velocity but not lower pressure made the lubricant differences smaller or not statistically significant. Does it work the same with coated vs lubed bullets? 

Nice work Paul. Maybe we can eliminate "Coating color must match rifle stock" as an accuracy criteria.

Steve

Attached Files

Spindrift posted this 29 December 2021

Interesting question, Eutectic.

My observations with powder coat vs lubed bullets: 

The same load will yield slightly higher velocity with lubed bullets. PC’ing the bullets will shift the accuracy node to higher loading weight than your accuracy node with the same bullet, lubed. 

I do believe this has to do with friction, pressure and burn conditions.

Attached Files

Close