222 mag & cast load info

• Last Post 19 January 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
GWarden posted this 17 January 2021

Have a 222 mag with Shilen 10" twist bbl. Ready to give it a go with cast bullets , this rifle is "super" accurate with the other bullets people use (jacketed). With the component shortage that we are going through now, I don't want to reinvent the wheel or waste valuable components. My main interest is accuracy loads. Sure would appreciate load data that you are willing to share about cast loads in the 222 mag that are accurate for you. The molds I have to work with are Lyman 225438 , 225415, 225462. Powders available are imr 4227, imr 4198, sr4759, 2400, Unique. Have other powders available , but this list seems to be what I find in most manuals. With a 10" twist, would I be able to go with a heavier; custom mold to get the most from this rifle. Again, looking for what has worked for you. Thanks in advance for any info you share.

bob

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Bud Hyett posted this 17 January 2021

I think the light cast loads for .223 Remington would be a good start. The cases are similar in capacity but not interchangeable. 

I have a factory SAKO L461 .222 Remington Magnum with the 1 in 14" twist that is accurate. I've thought of shooting it in Production with cast and use .223 Remington loads to start. I've run loads in QuickLoad to see what could be feasible, I can share if you send me your email. 

One of several projects that are on hold for the COVID19 scenario. The problem is it is so good on prairie dogs that I should save it for this purpose.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 18 January 2021

19g H4198 in a 12T 223, with the Lee 225-55 has been magic. Velocity is up there but,if you really get the fit and jam dialed in,it's not a problem. Scary accurate.

Good luck with your project.

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 18 January 2021

Bud

private message sent.

bob

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 January 2021

As usual Bud is right, anything you can find about what works in the 223 should apply to the 222 mag.  The 222 is only a nickel's worth of difference and the 223 only two cents worth.  For cast bullet loads that don't get near max pressure there is no real difference.

I wrote all I knew about 22 cast bullets at the time for Joe's "Cast Bullets for Beginner and Expert"  starting on page 296.  This rant included arguments about the conventional wisdom myths about why 22 CB's are hard to shoot that I hope proved them false.  Listen only to folks who have actually shot the things successfully.

Of the bullets you have I have had best luck with the old original 415 and the 462. For two short bullets just as good or maybe even better see my article on squirrel bullets in TFS #261. However, I have never been able to shoot such short bullets better than about 1.5 moa for a aggregate of five shot groups, and I don't know anybody who has in front of witnesses at a match.

Longer cast bullets are easier to shoot well and your bullets are the equivalent of about a 100 grain 30 caliber which you never see at  a match for good reason. Your 10 inch twist will stabilize a cast bullet up to about .8 inch long. That translated to a round nose bullet of about 70 - 75 grains (NOE's 22572 RN is an excellent bullet that is fairly easy to get to an honest one MOA or under) or a pointed bullet of maybe 60 grain of which there none on the market. I can't recommend a custom maker because most custom makers either can't or won't make small bore pointed bullets. 

A lot of powders will work just fine.  I have had good luck with 2400, 700X, Bullseye, Blue Dot, TiteGroup, 4759 and 4756.  

I look forward to hearing how that Shilen barrel shoots.

John

Attached Files

GWarden posted this 18 January 2021

Thanks for the info John. Found the article.

bob

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 18 January 2021

225462 over 13gr H4227 in my .223Rem makes for 2300fps and fine accuracy.  The HP version of bullet........oh dear, the rabbits rattle after a hit from that bullet.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 18 January 2021

Shopdog and Jeff,

How hard are the bullets in the loads you mentioned?

John

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 18 January 2021

Shopdog and Jeff,

How hard are the bullets in the loads you mentioned?

John

Air cooled wheel weight. 1-12 twist. Any faster and accuracy goes south. Must be on the cusp of alloy strength.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Shopdog posted this 18 January 2021

Range scrap and Rotometal,Hardball

Cast right at the point of frosting,water dropped.

Sizing amounts to;

Lyman 450 gets used with a custom top punch,and a torque wrench as the handle. Each batch,and "aging" comes into play on what the yield point is,as measured by the wench.

Then,only the GC is pushed into the die. The body gets roll sized and knurled on certain parts of the lube groove. Would have to check notes... sometimes it's just the vertical surfaces of the groove,other times it's both,vert and bttm of groove.

Depends on which rig as to what the bore ride part gets. But,let's say it needs some. This would be done on a C frame jewelry press if the nose needed to be made tapered,or smaller. If it needs yo be bumped up... that's done on the 450 with the torque wrench.

I shoot a BUNCH of different rigs,which is why there's notes. The alloy has never been the limiting factor. Well,not that I could tell. As with the lube,hardly use any... and is boringly simple ingredients. BW/Vaselatum.

The 223's here all love 4198... and it's always between 18.5 and 19 grains. 22-250's are just so-so with 4198 and the Lee. They do OK but for some reason they really wake up with HEAVY loads of IMR4831 and different moulds.

I have a Lyman 225415... fantastic quality. It's the smaller,older version. Bug dang if I can get it to shoot.

The Lee 55,and an RCBS 60G are the main 22 bullets used here. Sorry for the novel.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 19 January 2021

My favorites are the NOE 80 grain and LBT 60 grain bullet. The 80 grain bullet was shortened .030" at the gas check shank and it is very accurate in a 1/12 twist barrel. Fitting both bullets for a snug fit in throat is most important. Titegroup is my favorite powder...about 5 to 7 grains will work.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 19 January 2021

Oh yes...and softer alloys such as 20/1 lead tin or very slightly harder.

Attached Files

Close