STP for bullet lube

• 5K Views
  • Last Post 16 September 2008
billwnr posted this 11 April 2008

I “bumped” 100 bullets the other day for shooting in a match tomorrow.  I used STP as the lubrication for the bullets in the bump die.  When I loaded the bullets I noticed they still had a thin film of STP on them ala liquid alox.

I have found that regular lubing of the bullets is sufficient and it isn't too much lube nor too little lube

I've read some of Tom Gray's old articles about lube purging and was left wondering “would excess STP film cause some bullets to fly outside the normal group?"

I wondered if anyone had any experience with this.  In any case I'll have the answer by 1PM tomorrow afternoon.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Duane Mellenbruch posted this 11 April 2008

There is one home mix bullet lube that utilizes STP as an ingrediant.

1 pound beeswax, one pound parafin and 1/2 pound STP.

Not too sure that STP will do much for sealing the bore, but should keep lead from sticking to the barrel.   But will it group?  Duane Mellenbruch  Topeka, KS

Attached Files

DonH posted this 12 April 2008

Duane Mellenbruch wrote: There is one home mix bullet lube that utilizes STP as an ingrediant.

1 pound beeswax, one pound parafin and 1/2 pound STP.

Not too sure that STP will do much for sealing the bore, but should keep lead from sticking to the barrel.   But will it group?  Duane Mellenbruch  Topeka, KS I'm not too sure about that formula. Darr lube as formulated by Barry Darr is equal parts of parafin and petroleum jelly with  something like 2 tablespoons of STP per pound of lube. Darr says he used the lube with success for both schuetzen rifle and handgun silhouette in magnum revolvers. I think there would be better lubes for HV rifle ;oads but I am using it satisfactorily  for pistol target loads.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 12 April 2008

The lubes that include STP as an ingredient only have the lube in the lube grooves.  Because of the bumping process my bullets have a thin film of STP over all of the bullet.

News soon as I leave in 20 minutes for the match.

Attached Files

CB posted this 12 April 2008

Yes Bill please lets us know the results. Us curious minds have to know. I used to wipe all my CBs dry with solvent to get the lube residue off from handling the CBs. A couple of years ago I didn't wipe the residue lube off and they happened to shoot better groups, so lately I don't bother now days. This winter I found wiping the loaded CBs lightly with ATF help with accuracy in cold weather in my old Sprg barrel. But STP? That may be different!

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 12 April 2008

I can't say Dan whether the STP on the bullets made a difference one way or another, but I finally found a bullet that didn't shoot as well as the rest.  Once I find that thread I'll post the results.

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 April 2008

I know there are a couple of lube formulas floating around that have STP as an ingredient, but I have never tried that.

I as Dan used to wipe my bullets clean, but have also stopped doing that for the same reason he stated...

Now I just shoot em as they come out of the boxes I store them in, I actually prefer a bit of lube smearing on the bearing length of the bullet.

Maybe I should work on a special lube just to do that with, make it something like the consistancy of a makeup cream or something.. Hummm... Might have to devote some time to that one..

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 April 2008

My experience with lube on noses is the same as Dan's and Jeff's but from the opposite direction, sort of. I took the trouble to wipe 50-50 on the noses of my 72 grain NEI 225 bullet for years and got excellent accuracy with the 223. Being lazy, I eventually stopped and after shooting many groups found that the thing shot just as well with bare noses. From all three of our experiences you might suspect that it doesn't make any difference - at least the way we did it. Since airguns shoot bare lead bullets with amazing accuracy and no leading it is clear that the function of bullet “lube” isn't to lubricate at all as others have pointed out.

John

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 13 April 2008

airgun pellets touch the bore in two small areas. The riding area on the head of the pellet and the tail end of the skirt.  Rifle bullets usually have a longer bearing surface.

I could see where a pellet at 1000fps or so could get away with no lube.  My “conventual wisdom” would think bullets with the longer bearing surfaces, harder alloy and faster velocities would require a lube of some amount.

Maybe just enough to lube the area at the top of the gas check and bullet shank is enough.

Just my thoughts John, whether they are correct or not.

Attached Files

REDTAIL posted this 16 September 2008

other than mid

way usa where can i buy a 1 or 2 lb can of motor mica i checked at brownells and they do not carry it i looked on the net but no luck there must be a company somewhere who mfg this stuff, any suggestions on companies who carry moror mica in lb quanites will be appreciated

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 September 2008

REDTAIL wrote: other than mid

way usa where can i buy a 1 or 2 lb can of motor mica i checked at brownells and they do not carry it i looked on the net but no luck there must be a company somewhere who mfg this stuff, any suggestions on companies who carry moror mica in lb quanites will be appreciated

Try:

http://www.grafs.com/product/187362>http://www.grafs.com/product/187362

Attached Files

Close