Weather and Health

• 3.2K Views
  • Last Post 13 March 2008
6pt-sika posted this 04 March 2008

Sometimes your best laid plans just go to crap :(

For about three weeks now I have had a bunch of stuff loaded up and ready for the range . And on my days off either the weather has sucked , or I have had some form of virus/flue !!!!!!!!

I have a bunch of stuff loaded up for my 375 WIN with the Ranch Dog 379-235GC .

And then there is the new Ranch Dog 359-190GC . I have stuff loaded with this one for both a 356 WIN and a 35 REM .

I also have a group buy mould from castboolits it's a .434"-330 grain GC FN offering that should “hopefully” do well in my second model 444 Marlin .

I also have another offering that I am embarrased to say I have had for about 5 months and failed to test drive yet . This is also a castboolits group buy . It's a .311” 150 grain GC FN design and I have it loaded up for my 336CB in 30-30 . I wanna try it on paper and then on the silhouettes .

If this takes much longer I should have my new NEI #21 mould for my 25-36 Marlin and will have that ready as well !

Instead of getting anywhere near caught up , I seem to be getting further and further BEHIND :(

Well perhaps friday :}

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 04 March 2008

Oh Oh.  You not only have the flue bug and the bad weather syndrome, but you got the winter blues. I had it real bad last winter around the end of January when the power bill came. The power bill still hurts when I see a new gun go up the chimney every month just to stay warm. :taz:

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 05 March 2008

Dan , I truely believe I could quit work and spend just about every day outside of hunting season at the range . And it would still take me 10 years to accomplish everything I have visions of doing :(

Mind you thats not all cast bullet work , as I am still strong on jacketed bullets in the fast bolt rifles .

But still my backlog of things I wish to try is building way quicker then I can keep up ;)

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 March 2008

6pt-sika wrote: Dan , I truely believe I could quit work and spend just about every day outside of hunting season at the range . And it would still take me 10 years to accomplish everything I have visions of doing :(

Mind you thats not all cast bullet work , as I am still strong on jacketed bullets in the fast bolt rifles .

But still my backlog of things I wish to try is building way quicker then I can keep up ;)

Hey, I know exactly what you mean about too much to do!

I'll never forget the day of my favorite uncle's funeral (he died at an old age), his widow was sobbing and said out loud, “Oh, he had so much he wanted to do!"  You know what? THATS LIVING, always planning for things to do! :dude:

Attached Files

CB posted this 05 March 2008

Yep, behind the eight ball.. I know what you mean 6pt... I spent almost three months since the end of last shooting season caring for my mom in Phoenix, really put me behind schedule, couple that with the crappy weather here since I been back home... I am so far behind I will never have the time to die.... And since the great snow god decided to dump another 8 inches on us last night, instead of casting today, I get to move that %&$#@# white stuff... Another day behind.. Getting to the range to work on my load for the match next weekend? Yeah, right, evertime I even think about putting the gear in the van we get an ice storm.. ARRRRGH!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 March 2008

I am sure the guys I work with think I am nuts :shock:

Most all of them hunt quite a bit , but they all shoot factory ammo and I am constantly writing down a load combination I want to try be it cast or jacketed .

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 07 March 2008

6 pt    good to se that the winter blues  havnt got you all the way down . Keep plugging  and you'll make i t to the range  fine 

Nice to see you here

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 March 2008

Bluehawk wrote: 6 pt    good to se that the winter blues  havnt got you all the way down . Keep plugging  and you'll make i t to the range  fine 

Nice to see you here

BH , hows life in PA ?

Haven't talked with you in quite awhile .>

Yesterday I recieved a NEI #21 (257-114GC) 6 cavity aluminum mould in the mail and the top arrived today !

So if I can get to the range today or tommorrow , hopefully also this weekend I will also have time to cast a couple hundred of these also ;)

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 08 March 2008

Things are jsut fine up herre in PA  with one exception   I AM NOT RETIRED YET  TO SHOOT CAST AND HUNT ALL DAY LONG

Plus im not as rich as you so I cant salve my wnats by going out and buying a gun e ery  week :D:dude:

Just kidding of course       how are htings with you  glad to see your welland shooting and casting as much as ever   Dan

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 March 2008

Bluehawk wrote: Things are jsut fine up herre in PA  with one exception   I AM NOT RETIRED YET  TO SHOOT CAST AND HUNT ALL DAY LONG

Plus im not as rich as you so I cant salve my wnats by going out and buying a gun e ery  week :D:dude:

Just kidding of course       how are htings with you  glad to see your welland shooting and casting as much as ever   Dan

Dan I did get a rifle recently from a dealer up your way . The dealer was in Frackville .He does a good bit on Gunbroker I think . Anyway I got a NIB Remington Model 7 stainless in 7mm RSUM .

Had one of these before and had to let it go , but it was the blued laminated version . I bought this one almost 5 years later for $10 less and in a more expensive model . Of course they have quit making this model and chambering for this cartridge I believe .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 March 2008

Well got up this morning to rain ! So went back to sleep and woke up again about noon . The rain had stopped so I decided to take the new NEI #21 mould out and give it a try .

Got all my stuff lined up and the pot loaded and darned if it didn't start to sprinkle .

I stayed ,ong enough to get 6-8 sets poured , but they did not really get all the wrinkles out . But I did get a couple to give me a decent idea how the mould will do .

And the verdict is this one should work for me :dude:

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 March 2008

Okay here we go again !!!!!!!

I have 5 rifles already stuffed in the truck along with target stands , and paraphenalia . Just inside the front door I have three more rifles , two shotguns and all my ammuntition ready to stick in the back of the pickup and head to the range at 8:30AM .Now if the weather is as nice as the guy on TV said ...........................

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 13 March 2008

I took an early retirement at 50 my first boat I wore the bottom out dragging it around fishing.. got a new boat and the works 5 years ago  . It's been sitting in the barn , never got it in the water.... Been in and out of the horsepistol every years since I'm about ready to bring it outside and shoot it full of holes with the million cast bullets I've made sitting inside with nothing to do...;) Going to let you folks in on something “Do it while you are young and in good health!” They have this retirement thing A$$ backwards you should retire while young and work after you are to old to do anything else...... Just my 2 cents spouting off!:dude: MM

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 March 2008

ditto MM, you're not spouting off......this a is a forum.

I used to be invincible, but somewhere along the way the world got rougher. I first noticed it back in '96 while hiking up an AZ mountain. Now it is more work to have fun than what the fun is worth. Haven't had my boat out for over 10 years; about ready to take it to the scrap yard. But as long as I can drag my butt to the range and pull the trigger, I'm going to burn powder and throw lead,

or whatever runs out first! :2pist.................Dan

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 13 March 2008

Heck I've got the shooting part down pat..... I just open the cellar window and shoot from inside where it is warm....Dang good thing Mom goes and puts the targets up or it would take me two days to shoot , one day to walk the targets out and the next day to go and replace them...;).> MM

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 March 2008

I just open my back door and there is my personal rifle range. But I am getting over the winter blues at the moment. I am ready to go to the range or shoot on my property. It's still a little too muddy in some places.

Even thou it got to about 65 today, it didn't last long, if I could have three days with out rain, I would be outside  casting.

But then again, I just my Lyman 358315 mold came today, so I want to cast a bunch of those bullets.

It's just the fact that I think many of us are really tired of winter. :D

Jerry

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 13 March 2008

Well I was at the range this morning bright and early at 8:50AM . Set up a target at 20 yards to begin  patterning my new Sparten 12 gauge 20” SxS shotgun . Had bought this thing just for shooting buckshot when chasing Sika deer on the Eastern Shore . I had full chokes screwed in each side and they shot Winchester Supreme OO 2.75” shells very well in both barrels . So I was done with that one .

Next came the H&R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe 20 gauge with the 3.5” chamber . I had a Leupold 4.5-14 on top when I fired the Hastings slugs . I could shoot two with them touching but seems I pulled the third about 3/4's of an inch each time . Shot two groups at 50 yards and then a pair at 100 yards with about the same results . At 100 it will keep three in 2” easy . So I was pretty much done with this one .

Next came the Second Model 444 Marlin shooting the 434-330GC castboolits group buy bullet . Had this one loaded with XMP5744 and was shooting just plain iron sights at 50 yards . I was getting three into 1.5” easy enough . So I was okay with this one for a start .

Then I pulled out the old 336CB in 30-30 to try another group buy mould , this one was a 311-150GC bullet and I was shooting Lyman Globe front and a Williams Fool Proof rear with target knobs . Anyway at 50 yards I was consistently cutting ragged holes for three shots . Had these loaded with XMP5744 also .

So by now I am thinking it can't get much better , wished I hadn't thought :D

Pulled out my 336ER (356 WIN) cast bullet rifle and started one the Ranch Dog 359-190 bullet , this was my first chance to try this bullet . So expectations were running high and I had a 20x Leupold on top . The first group at 50 yards was about 4” I think . Then I tried a second group a couple minutes later and that one tightened up a bit . After letting her cool some more I shot a third group which was right at 2” , not great but workable . I think with a little more work this one will be okay , although IMHO not as good as the “original” 359-180.

Well then I pulled the scope off the 356 and put it on my Marlin 375 cast bullet shooter and shot a couple groups with the Ranch Dog 379-235 . I shot three groups at 50 yards with this one and they were right at 1.5” for all . So we were kinda back on track .

By the way I loaded one load for the 356 and one for the 375 , both were fueled with XMP5744.

Next I pulled out my old Marlin 336SC in 35 REM and tried the Ranch Dog 359-190 again fueled with XMP5744 , but on this one I was using a Lyman peep . Shot three groups at 50 yards and they were right in the 2” area . So I could live with this as well .

Now I was done with cast for the day and whipped out my new to me Marlin 1894 in 25-20 (circa 1903) and shot some variouse 25-20 jacketed loadings I had on hand .

Strangely with open sights I shot a couple pretty decent groups at 50 yards with this one also .

Next came out the speed demons . Tried my new to me Remington 700BDL stainless synthetic in 264 WIN MAG . This thing was a special run for Accu Sport a couple years ago . I had gotten one when they first came out and like a fool sold it after a year or two . This one I had today a friend had bought new the same time I bought the one I used to have . Anyway we made a trade about a month ago and I had not been able to shoot it yet . Well today I took her out . Was shooting Hornady 129 SST's and fueled with IMR4350 . Had four different charges starting at 55 grains and going up . Well I got it on paper at 100 then started shooting for group . 56 grains wasn't bad , and 57 grains closed up a tad more , but when I shot the 58 grain loads it was almost a ragged hole at 100 yards . SO I think I will try the 58 grains again and possibly 59 and maybe 60 grains.

My last for the day was a brand spanking new Remington Model 7 stainless synthetic in 7mm RSUM . I had some stuff I loaded for another 7mmRSUM with the Hornady 154 grain SST and also loaded up some Hornady 139 grain SST's . Both were loaded with IMR4350 . After getting it on paper I shot real good three shot groups with both  bullet weights although the 139 did a little bit better .

Well I finally got out and got a good bit more then I expected taken care of .>

I started to load up some 32 H&R MAG's for trying in my 327 Federal , but I abstained as I still want to try the 327 Federal in the little revolver first !

Attached Files

Close