Add a New Class !!!

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 14 March 2008
6pt-sika posted this 28 February 2008

I would really like to shoot the bench rest matches at Fairfax or in West Virginia and possibly at Tamaqua .

But I shoot only lever actions at the moment with cast bullets .

I would love to get a CBA in 32-40 or whatever to shoot in the plain base class , but that is not an option at this moment . And I have no desire to shoot in any of the bolt gun classes or handgun .

What is the possibility and starting a lever/pump/auto class for regular monthly club matches ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 28 February 2008

levers are eligible to shoot in factory class

Attached Files

CB posted this 28 February 2008

I believe Bill is correct, you can shoot lever guns in production class.. I think the final ruling though is left to the match director.. But I believe the rules states any production rifle where the years production exceeds 1,000 units and is under 12 lbs in weight.

But I concur, it would be cool to have a lever gun class. I dont own one at the moment, but things have been known to change..

Attached Files

Jeff Bowles wrote: I believe Bill is correct, you can shoot lever guns in production class.. I think the final ruling though is left to the match director..

I was already told by Dave Lombard that it was alright !

However I am pretty certain accuracy from a stock Marlin lever will not be in the class of a Savage 308 with a varmint weight barrel .

To me thats like racing a VW in a nascar race !

Attached Files

Sometimes it just has to be fun, competition is a good thing taken in moderation. Not that I dont enjoy it, but it helps break it up a bit to just go and do something for fun.

Go and have a good time, meet some people and most of all be observant.

There is a postal match just for lever guns, you can do that and you can suggest officially to the CBA to consider having a class for just lever guns.

Of course you are welcome to have a levergun only match write something up for the Fouling Shot...

Attached Files

You are correct about the fun aspect , however that is not always an easy pill to swallow . To be honest I would find it difficult to drive 50 miles to a match that I know before I leave home that I do not even have an outside chance of being competitive in !

I have been saying I was going to do the postal matches for the past couple years . But have yet to shoot them ! To me they are just not the same as shooting with your competitors close by !

Maybe I will ask about another class , but I really don't see a positive answer coming from it :(

After all has anyone else ever mentioned such a thing ? I kinda doubt it , so why start a class for just me .>

Attached Files

If you think it is worth pursuing, then pursue it.

If you could rally enough support for your cause there are ways to do things. Get a copy of the CBA bylaws, there are instructions contained there that could guide through the process of getting an issue before the CBA BOD for consideration.

Attached Files

Lefty posted this 29 February 2008

:caution:Not intending to hijack a thread, let me offer a slightly different spin.  How about a plain base class the requires fixed ammnition.   This might be a class the levers could compete in but would still leave room for single shots etc.  With the price of gas checks, we are seeing increased interest in the world of plain based bullets.  I intend to shoot a 30-30 single shot with pb bullets this summer.  I doubt that I will be competitive against the traditional pb rigs but its time to get my feet wet.  I agree with the earlier post that you don't have to win to have fun.

This was probably worth less than 2 cents

Attached Files

KenK posted this 29 February 2008

Plain base shooting is where it's at IMO.  If I'm going to stick a copper gas check on I'd just as soon buy a jacketed bullet.

I have shot less than MOA with five shots at 100 yards with my Marlin 30-30 and the RCBS 150 grain “Cowboy” bullet.

No offense meant for those who like the gas checks.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 29 February 2008

Lefty wrote:   I agree with the earlier post that you don't have to win to have fun.

I didn't say I had to win .

I said I would like to feel the equipment I had could be competitive !

Attached Files

KenK wrote:  

No offense meant for those who like the gas checks.

None taken ;)

I prefer gas checks , but I am open to plain base as well !!!!

Attached Files

Personally if I had my way . I would like to see something like a lever action event , where you MUST shoot a flat nise bullet .

And there could be sub categories !

Plain base open sights , plain base scoped , gas checked open sights and gas checked scoped .

Attached Files

CB posted this 29 February 2008

Then why not suggest it?

PM me if you want to know how..

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 March 2008

6pt-sika wrote: ...I would like to see something like a lever action event , where you MUST shoot a flat nose bullet. And there could be sub categories!

I have often thought about this...  Try these on for size, comments?

Standard cowboy rifle:

Original factory iron sights, barrel, action, stock and trigger. 

Chambered for a RIMMED, REVOLVER cartridge, which will feed from the rifle's tubular magazine, using a cast, plain-based bullet.

Rethroating of factory chamber is allowed.

Bedding adjustments, such as relieving wood or shimming are OK without adding fiberglass, epoxy or metal parts.

Record strings must be fired with round or flat-nosed cartridges which are fed from the magazine.

Same targets, bench and standing courses of fire as for military issue class.

Modified cowboy rifle:

Any iron sights, click adjustable front and rear aperture OK. No scopes. 

Set-back and rechambering of factory barrel or custom rebarreling for any safe center-fire RIMMED cartridge is OK.

Replacement of factory action parts with mass produced, commercially available replacements is allowed. 

Alterations to factory wood, recoil pads and glass bedding is allowed.

Any RIMMED cartridge with plain-based bullet.  Single-loaded fixed ammunition, including pointed bullets, which will not fed from magazine are allowed. 

Same targets, bench and standing courses of fire as for military modified class.   Long Range Cowboy rifle

Rifle not to exceed 13 pounds with sights.

Any iron sights or fixed power, straight-tube telescope with external adjustments, not to exceed 6X

Any rimmed cartridge with plain-based cast bullet of 2” overall cartridge length and .30 cal. or larger.

Any single-shot or lever action, original or reproduction of a design manufactured before 1898.

Replacement of factory action parts with mass produced, commercially available replacements is allowed. 

Alterations to factory wood, recoil pads and glass bedding is allowed.

Separate-loaded or breech seated ammunition, is allowed. 

Same targets, bench and standing courses of fire as for military modified class.  

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 13 March 2008

Ed,  I like your suggestions.  I think that the class would be a lot of fun.  I've a Win 94 that my Dad gave me whenI was 5, and I only shoot cast out of it (best is 1.75” for five shots) and a Marlin 44 mag that shoots fairly well. As with most things we shooters tend to get too involved in the mechanics of things and trying to get a leg up through technology.:fire

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 14 March 2008

Hey, I kinda like that ... but would like to consider another rule:  the lever actions are not to be shot off sand bags, but the bench classes must be fired ::

off of western style horse saddles  ( defined::  those with a saddle horn are western style )

that would be so cool .... seriously...

Also seriously, one of the problems with adding classes is that the 2 or 3 guys that wind up doing all the work at most any kind of group competition ..... cannot easily add just one more type of event ...  if the relays that are already competing fill up the daylight, to slide in another new one might mean that an existing class has to be dropped ...

just a thought, and yes, I do think it would be great and interesting to see all them Winnies whackin the tar out of them upstart elitist Marlins ...

regards,  ken campbell, iowa

Attached Files

Close