Marking lead?

• 6.8K Views
  • Last Post 01 May 2009
Mauserman posted this 12 February 2008

When you guys melt down a lot of lead how do you mark it or keep it from getting mixed up with other types.. Say like pure lead, ww, and lino type... I have been stamping mine with letters but that can be a pain.

:coffee MM

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 12 February 2008

MM

I used to do that. The last several years, I now store my ingots in the small ammo cans, each according to alloy. I label the outside so I can see at a glance how the stash is fairing. The small ammo cans:

<>can handle the weight. <>have a handy handle. <>weigh 63lbs when full (a weight I can pick up) <>keep the alloy clean while storedI'll bag up small alloyed batches in baggies and store 2 or 3 in a box. Sometimes I lay notes and labels inside the ammo cans explaining the contents. I used to use the bigger 30-06 ammo cans and could store 230lbs in a can. Eighteen younger years ago I could pick up one full 230# can in each hand and carry em, when I moved back then. I can't even pick up one of them 230 pounders now with both hands!  :jawdrop:  ................Dan

Attached Files

454PB posted this 12 February 2008

A Sharpie works well.

Attached Files

Yeah a sharpie is the way to go... I mark mine with the alloy type (ie: mono, lino, ww, 30-1, rangescrap, etc) and the date... Unlike Dan I cant store mine in small ammo cans, I have amassed too much. I have a heavy duty cart used for toting bearings around in a bearing plant and a 2'x'2x4' heavy duty box on the same type of wheels I pull around with my quad. Plus I got several odd plastic buckets with range scrap and tin and other assorted metals in corners and along one wall. Last I added it up I had about 5 tons.. Needless to say there aint no room in my garage for a car. I have it all marked and entered in a log sheet so I know what I got.

Attached Files

OK I gotta ask.What the heck is a  “Sharpie “. Must be a new generation thing!:dude::dude::dude::dude::dude::coffee:coffee:coffee MM

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 12 February 2008

A Magic Marker-type permanent marker with a pointed tip that looks like a fat snap-cap pen.

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 12 February 2008

Mauserman wrote: OK I gotta ask.What the heck is a  “Sharpie “. Must be a new generation thing!

Attached Files

.>:coffee OK .... Hell when you get old! :) MM

Attached Files

Gee Wilikers MM....

Sharpies have been around a long time....

Attached Files

Guess I just spend to much time in the shop.. I refuse to enter a store.. I need anything thats what the wife is for... Never need a sharpie till now.... I cannot remember when the last time I was in a store..... 13 hip surgeries, 5 back and two open heart makes it a little hard to get around ... And you know what >>>> I don't miss it...... ;)  I just open the basement window and shoot...... I got a shop most men dream about and I'm enjoying it... Life to short to worry about little things.:coffee MM

Attached Files

That dont sound to bad, the shop that is.. Health problems are a bite in the butt.. Mine aint as bad as yours though, but any are bad enough.

If ya run out of sharpies, I got a hammer and chisel you can borrow..

Good thing Midway and others have web sites huh? I hate going to stores anymore, I buy a lot of what I need on line.. Just punch a button and someone brings it to ya!

Life is good!

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 February 2008

I have stamps for metal, which I could do, but I go with the sharpies, it's easier and none have ever worn off over the years.

Jerry

Attached Files

Mauserman posted this 13 February 2008

Jeff Bowles wrote: That dont sound to bad, the shop that is.. Health problems are a bite in the butt.. Mine aint as bad as yours though, but any are bad enough.

If ya run out of sharpies, I got a hammer and chisel you can borrow..

Good thing Midway and others have web sites huh? I hate going to stores anymore, I buy a lot of what I need on line.. Just punch a button and someone brings it to ya!

Life is good! Is the chisel sharp and the hammer big enough? :D:D MM

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 February 2008

You Betcha! :wnk:

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 February 2008

Frank Marshall had a simpler system.  He whacked ingots with a 1/2-inch box wrench and sorted them into two boxes labelled “ping” and “thud."

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 13 February 2008

Ed Harris wrote: Frank Marshall had a simpler system.  He whacked ingots with a 1/2-inch box wrench and sorted them into two boxes labelled “ping” and “thud."

Ah for the simple life again.

I have ammo cans I fill and label.

Scored 2 old motar bomb cans a few years back.  Thought they would be great for storing ingots and they are......................till you have to move them.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 02 April 2008

A vibro etcher works good. I melt  20+ pounds at a time, check the hardness and mark the month/year and hardness. I then record this info plus the number of ingots on an Excel spread sheet. 

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 03 April 2008

JeffinNZ wrote: I have ammo cans I fill and label.

Scored 2 old motar bomb cans a few years back.  Thought they would be great for storing ingots and they are......................till you have to move them. I can well imagine! For those who haven't discovered this, 5.56mm ammo cans are perfect. 8 rows of 8 fit ingots comfortably, AND you can still lift it. They stack nice too. -Don

Attached Files

CB posted this 03 April 2008

Ya Don, those are the ones I was talking about. 62-63 pounds worth a can. They stack real nice under my bench, 2 high. I didn't buy all 38 cans at once to hold the alloys, but picked up 2 or 3 every time I went to a gun show (twice a year) or just whenever, wherever. Been a good investment over the years, now like money in the bank :D  .................Dan

Attached Files

Joe S posted this 14 September 2008

I have been using a 1/4” set of metal stamps and mark the alloy and sometimes the date Joe S

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 29 September 2008

I discovered Sharpies a while back, read that-permanent laundry marker.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close