Longnecks...just for Lone Star Beer...?

• 6.6K Views
  • Last Post 15 January 2014
Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 23 November 2007

Has anybody here ever considered cutting a reamer for the 308, shortened with a long neck?  Like a 30BR with the original 308W length and a long neck.  Couple that with a Loverin-style bullet that is about 70% of the total length mini-grooves.  Just enough nose for about one caliber in length.  If the throat is cut to match it should shoot competitively, eh?

Thoughts on the subject encouraged.

Rich outside the box

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 24 November 2007

Rich,

Are you talking a case as long as the .308 with a BR body? If so no I never considered it but a tight necked 30/30 either full length or a little short with a 17 or 18 twist barrel has crossed my mind and you having HBR experience might know or heard of someone who did it. I'd match it up with either the 155 gr LBT bullet I use now in my 30x47 or something in the 140 gr range cast in WW. I'd then throat the gun short with little or no ball seat with a 1 1/2 degree taper and turn the neck for an interference fit to prove that the case neck has to be considered part of the throat when talking about chambers and cases.

Wouldn't gain a thing over the 30x47 or 30x44 but it'd be fun to shoot a 30/30 in competition and I think it would shoot great. The major hurdle would be finding a 30/30 bolt face but with the Savage bolt design it shouldn't be too hard to monkey something together for not a lot of money or just turn the rims down.

Pat

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 25 November 2007

Pat i,

yes. That is a thought, the 30-30. I have ten boxes of the Federal 30 American Brass on the shelf, next to the same amount of Remington 308BR. Visualize a 30BR with an extra 1/2” neck length. Then see the bullet about .050” shorter in the body than the neck length with about a caliber semi-spitzer nose. Only the nose sticks out of the case neck. There is not throat to speak of, just a 1 1/2-degree leade into the rifling. Tests the theory that the neck is indeed an integral part of the throat.

The Savage .223 bolt head is about $25. and it could be opened to whatever on the lathe. About 15 years ago I opened one up to take the 378Wbee case head...built a 22-378 AI version of the 22 Eargesplitten-Loudenboomer.

I also have an early Postwar Mauser commercial action with DST's in a semi-baroque 40x-style stock. It's a 219 Donaldson Wasp, so it just needs a new barrel.

Thanks for the input

Rich

Attached Files

CB posted this 25 November 2007

I have two LBT moulds that would be a perfect match for what you're talking about. You could put a little taper on the front to match the leade and they'd probably shoot great. I still like the 30/30 idea and one of these days I'll put one together with a 17 twist barrel since I have a Savage action in a TMBR stock all ready to go.

I have some 308 BR brass but haven't seen 30 American brass in years.

Pat

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 25 November 2007

When I form my .303 Pygmy cases they end up with a neck about 1 1/4 inches long prior to trim. 

I could seat a bullet out of sight just like the Nagant pistol round!!!!!!!

Hunting I would never know which were fired and which were live though.  :D

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Idaho Sharpshooter posted this 25 November 2007

JeffinNZ,

is there a way you could post a picture of before and after you trim the 303 Pygmy cases? That might be a very accurate approach.

Rich

PS: is that a rockgun or a capgun?

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 18 June 2008

Rich, I know your post is old, but I may have something close to what you were looking for, if you are still thinking about pursuing the project. It has a long neck with a 30 degree shoulder located about halfway between a 30 BR and a 30 x 47 HBR. Starting with a 300 Sav. brass and shoving the shoulder back in the HBR sizing die ( where the case head barely sticks out from the die ) leaves the OAL ( about 1.875” ) of the case matching the chamber cast without the need to trim the case, if that gives you a visual of what it looks like. If it sounds interesting, I can put together some pics. of the case ( with some comparisons ) and chamber cast and post them later ( I will not be able to see post responses or able to take pics. until Sunday, 6-22....a short vacation away ). Let me know.

Roger Allen

Attached Files

Daryl S posted this 18 December 2010

If the neck of a .30/06 is long enough, then holding a .30/06 reamer back to cut a chamber for a 1.6” .303 cased round for magnum bolt faces, or a .35 Rem also shortened to 1.6” for standard bolt faces will work well. This is mine - chamberd up in about 1984 or so to utilize a very much shortened and worn-out Palma match barrel. Even shortened to 20 or 22", the throat is very long - but I'm told is about perfect for cast bullets. Don't know- but it still shoots well with jacketed. The dies are the easiest part of this. Shorten a set of .30/06 dies - you are done. The FL die will neck down full length .303 brass or .35 Rem brass in one pass - no failures - light lube and into the sizer - done. Trim, turn necks, chamfer and load. Nice long neck and efficient case. Mine does 2,460fps with 165gr. Sierra HP BT's for deer hunting, or 2,800fps with 125's and 130's for gophers - 2,900fps+ with 110's as well.

I have only just started experimenting with cast bullets in this barrel.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 18 December 2010

Try a search for  Jeff in NZ's .303 Pigmy, interesting adaptation of 303 British.   It's fascinating, and I know almost nothing about .303s but, found it to be worth the pictures and history.  Jeff has quite a thing going on with his 'down under' hunting adventures.

Ron

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 December 2010

This is my variation on the short 30 caliber thing. When I put my first cast bullet BR gun together years ago the only reamer I had was an 06 so I ran it in short and formed the brass out of 35 Rem. Mounted it on a Savage long single shot action and had at it. Shot as well as anything else I've tried and better than some.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 18 December 2010

Here is my 30 X 48 Rimmed Long Neck. Built for years ago for the proposed Idaho Falls pistol bench rest comp. Nothing happened, but is a fun pistol with 160 gr. LBT. Case made from 307 brass with turned neck. Reg

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 10 January 2014

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 10 January 2014

Sorry, I couldn't get the edit feature to work.  The first two from left are the chamber cast and an empty case , then a 30 HBR loaded cartridge.

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 10 January 2014

Rich: I built a 30 x 48, using a 308 Ackly improved reamer, being careful on the depth. I use 300 Savage cases. The rifle has a 17” twist and the TC has a 11” twist. I can get away with shooting a 160 grain LBT spitzer in the rifle and the TC seems to like lighter bullets, but does well heavier ones if your wrist can take it. Reg

Attached Files

Crooked Creek posted this 11 January 2014

The 30 HBR I've shown is the 30 x 47 variant (I should have been more specific), which found a lot of favor for Custom Hunter Class in the Midwest starting in the 1980's. Shortening the 30 x 48 just a little bit to get to a minimum case capacity by NBRSA rules.  As can be seen, the long neck case has less capacity than the 47, but is closer to a 48 in O.A.L.  I don't really know what my chambering is (was) called as there is no barrel marking. When I bought it, it was advertised as a “30 Dogie” but based on my research (of which I found there is very little on the 30 Dogie) that is not what this is, as the neck length, shoulder angle and overall case length are all wrong.  At any rate, it still looks to me that it could be a good cast bullet gun and may shoot benchrest jacketed bullets O.K. (I know the 11” twist is way faster than most B.R. 30's today). I'll find out one of these days.

Attached Files

Reg posted this 15 January 2014

Made up such a thing for a friend up in Rawlins a few years back. Cases were formed from 30-06. He did quite a bit of shooting with it and the overall opinion was it really didn't do much more than a normal .308 with proper bullet and load selection and there was more work involved. I asked if he would do it over again and he replied “No.” The long neck idea pops up from time to time and I don't think I have ever seen where anyone has ever proved beyond doubt that it has merit. If it did then why would not the 30-40 Krag out shoot a .308 ??

Attached Files

Close