Arkansas

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 17 December 2016
goodsteel posted this 12 January 2016

Is there an Arkansas chapter, or competition? Perhaps at the Benton Gun Club? Thanks

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
John Alexander posted this 12 January 2016

I think the nearest CBA matches to Arkansas are at the Pioneer Gun Club 20 miles east of Kansas City.  We are also are having our nationals there next September.

Your mention of Benton brought back memories.  We lived there for awhile in 1961.

John

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 12 January 2016

goodsteel, We are holding cast bullet matches on the third Saturday of the month starting in March going through October. We have not been running registered matches but hope to this year, not enough CBA members. Sometimes we will have 5 or 6 shooters show up. Kansas city would be a pretty good run for you for a day of shooting 60 rounds. We shoot four 5 shot groups for average group, two 10 shot groups for average group, and 20 shots for score. This year we plan to shoot at 100 yards on the odd months and 200 yards on the even months. We also shoot a 60 round military match.

Richard

Attached Files

What if I can drum up some shooters locally?

Traveling 6 hours insists that I leave the day before and spend the night, shoot the next day, and probably spend a second night before leaving the next morning. Can't see that in the budget or the calendar. Actually, if I were to look at the time and money spent on that trip and instead focus it on an add in a few papers, and a prize, I might be able to pull in more than 6 shooters I would think.  Just brain storming. 

Attached Files

fa38 posted this 12 January 2016

You could probably join the Twin Lakes Gun Club near Mountain Home. You would probably have to run the matches yourself or maybe they already have some CBA members that could help you.

http://www.twinlakesgunclub.com/

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 12 January 2016

goodsteel, PM sent

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 12 January 2016

goodsteel,  Ed Krasny our Director of Registered Competition could give you details on setting up a registered match. [email protected] 734-971-5077.

We have over 20 members in Arkansas including one hard core competitor.  I suspect Phil Bergholt of Bull Shoals would be interested.  Four CBA members are needed as shooters for a registered match.

Since it is early, we could put a short notice in the Fouling Shot with your contact information in addition to notices on the forum.  We will help from afar as much as possible.

John

Attached Files

Thank you gentlemen. I'll see what I can do. I'm in a tough situation. On one hand, I need to shoot with other people because I have never competed before (with a rifle. Did quite well with archery). But on the other hand, I cannot afford to travel to the nearest shoot.

I'll make some phone calls and see if there's a path forward. Thanks again!

Attached Files

Newt posted this 14 January 2016

I am in Arkansas also and would love to find a match to shoot at. Looks like going north would be closer for me than going south though.

I am not a CBA member as of yet. I have eyed it for years but never heard of anything in my area. 3 hours is a ways to drive, but not unheard of.

I know, the guys from up north and the ones from down south could all meet here in the middle where I am. :)

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 January 2016

The postal matches are another.option.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Newt posted this 15 January 2016

Who do you contact for the postal matches? Are they a regional thing, or is it a separate thing altogether because its not used for National records?

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 16 January 2016

Our postal matches have a lot of  categories in addition to the regular CBA classes.

You can find out more from Mike Kastning, our postal match director.

[email protected] 

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • rhino72
John Alexander posted this 16 January 2016

Welcome Newt. 

As an introduction to our association,I would be glad to send you a couple of digital issues of our journal <i>The Fouling Shot</i> so you can take a look at what we have to offer if you PM me your email address. &nbsp;We promise not to bug you further and you email address will not be given or sold to anybody.

John  

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 16 January 2016

Goodsteel / Newt,

Good to see you guys coming over here from the other forum. You are very welcome.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

goodsteel posted this 17 January 2016

I shot my first NRA sanctioned match today. Still not totally clear on all the details, but there were two matches back to back. One was shot with lever action 22RF at silhouette targets 25-50-75-100, and the next was shot with rifles using pistol cartridges at the same range. I used a friends guns, and I shot AA with score of 22/23 respectively. Got a couple cool little pins for clearing the deck a couple times. Pretty darn fun I tell ya! I need to save up for one of those Rossi 92's in 357 magnum.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 17 January 2016

when i wuz young a friend had a genuine win. 92 with a tang sight in 32-20 ...we shot about a thousand rocks with it ... what a sweet gun ..... i bet you could hang some posters in your local gun/hardware/hot rod shops and get a couple dozen inquiries for fun shoots .... great big active targets that blow up or clang and fall over ...

ken

Attached Files

billglaze posted this 17 January 2016

Ken, I envy your experience with some of the older guns--I had once, an original Savage 99, .30-30 half octagon barrel, steel curved buttplate, all the good stuff, including a buckhorn rear sight.    My folks bought a place near 29 Palms; it was the estate of an old Desert Rat.  I think I was about 14 years old or so.The place came complete with the Savage which I got and a Model 97 16 gauge shotgun, which my brother wanted. I had the Savage for years, until my youngest son wanted to “borrow” it.  I asked about it several years later, and he casually remarked that he had given it to a friend of his, and he no longer knew of the “friends” whereabouts.  I still haven't gotten over it. I've been looking at some of the Gun Shows and all the “older” stuff is either priced sky-high, or just plain junk.  Sigh.  Oh, Well. Bill

In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is. My fate is not entirely in Gods hands, if I have a weapon in mine.

Attached Files

Sgt_Mike posted this 29 January 2016

interested as well, even if I need to reconfigure a rifle or two. But looking over the rules four CBA member must fire in that event. that part confuses me probably because I'm overthinking it I am sure. So if a match is held on a day that encompasses unrestricted and production class is it four must in each class or 4 shooters total. Say 1 in unrestricted and three in production rifle for example. Thank you

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 29 January 2016

4 shooters total as long as they are all shooting in one of the official CBA classes.  It could be LRH also.  They all need to be CBA members.

Attached Files

Sgt_Mike posted this 29 January 2016

Goodsteel, Newt, I talked to another caster here at work. He would be Highly interested in such a event and willing to join such as I would, in order to do this. Figuring that my son turns 18 this June guess what.... another shooter. and I'm sure there would be others as well if we network this correctly.

Location for Hosting will be instrumental as well as ripping through the rules for course of fire, support staff etc.

What I noticed is that it highly resembled NRA High Power /military EIC in a lot of respects i.e Protests, penalities, and basic conduct such as time limits.

Ok went back and read again... and confused myself

Attached Files

Newt posted this 29 January 2016

I think your right. Location, location, location. I think that's the key. I see that most matches happen once a month. I don't think that that one day will matter to most of us as much as what that day entails.

It also will make a huge difference if everyone involved really wants to, or if they just kind of want too. Hate to show up only to find 2 or 3 guys there.

I'm all about just shooting for the fun of it, and even getting together with guys just to shoot for fun. But having a place out my back door to do such things makes it hard to travel hundreds of miles and hours away to do the same thing.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close