New Years Day at the range

• Last Post 02 January 2016
gpidaho posted this 02 January 2016

Friend Wes and I spent the afternoon at the county range.  Face burning cold today here in Idaho with the breeze.  It was the first chance I'd had to have a go with the 80gr. 22s out of the NOE mould that Joe B. sent me.  Thanks again Joe that was a generous thing to do.   Well I've got some work to do, it's safe to say I'm not ready to send in any postal match contentions quite yet.  Shot them out of my 223 Handi “Ultra Varmint” 24” 1 in nine twist.  Bullet nose fits the bore nicely with light rifling marks if loaded round is ejected.  Tried 5gr. TiteGroup and 15gr IMR 4895.  I hit paper but just, more of a pattern than a group.  I'll keep working on it weather permitting.   On the plus side, everything we tried out of our new 45 LC-45ACP  Revolvers worked well enough to keep us banging away in the cold Until we shot up all the rounds we had along.   Happy New Year All.  Gp

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
mike morrison posted this 02 January 2016

try 7.5 green dot. it works for me with a noe 60gr gc. in a handi.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 January 2016

hi gp. it would be interesting if you would stick those 80 gr 225 castings in a lathe and cut them down to 65 or 70 gr.

i would be glad to do some for you if you like. i would need your gas checks if you want to use them .

i suspect we could learn a lot from castings that group a foot or so ...

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 January 2016

Ken, I assume you are thinking that the bullet needs to be shorter to stabilize in the 9” twist.  That could be possible I guess but I have had no tipping out of a 9"twist for bullets of the same length.

Now that I think of it, I'm not absolutely sure I have shot the NOE bullet out of a 9".  I have shot thousands of my similar MOS bullet that is exactly the same length but of a slightly different nose shape.  I will try to shoot some of the NOE 80s out of a 9” twist today or tomorrow.

David Pape is shooting the NOE 80 out of a Savage (9") in the postals and doing well.

gpidaho, Were the holes round or oblong in those patterns?

The evil 22 fairy that torments Joe may live in the NOE mold box.

John

Attached Files

gpidaho posted this 02 January 2016

Thanks for your posts guys.  Ken: Having just tried once so far with this bullet I'm not ready to go to extremes just yet but if all else fails that would certainly be an interesting test. Thanks my friend.  Mike: Thanks I'll give Green dot a try. I believe subtle changes can be made by changing a charge but first you have to get close.  Eight and nine inch patterns aren't going to become one inch groups no matter what powder type might be used. JMHO  John:  The “evil 22 fairy"  This bullet just looks sooooo good seated and fits the bore sooooo well.  But then I guess the “ole Debble” is mush more likely to appear in your fondest dream than in a nightmare. Some of the holes on target were enlarged but this may be because the targets were taped tightly to an oriented strand board backer in the wind. Next time out I'll cut a hole out behind my target so the rounds pass only through paper to check for tipping. I would like to try this bullet in an eight twist but the only eight I own is my AR-15 and I just don't see this bullet as a good fit in an AR platform. I'll keep after it and when I get my alloy worked out where I'm not getting that too much antimony blush I'll send friends some to try,  Happy New Year  Gp

Attached Files

Close