Ideal 225415 in the Hornet

• 1.5K Views
  • Last Post 03 December 2015
.22-10-45 posted this 18 November 2015

Yesterday was nice, bright blue sky 59 deg. and calm conditions.  Thought it would be a good day to finally try out the Ideal 225415 in my Hornet.  This Ideal is an early vented block..and only one of two in my collection that drops at proper dimensions and is not egg shaped.  Alloy is a diluted Steriotype metal about in hardness like the old Lyman No. 2.  After weighing & inspection, annealed Hornady G.C. are fitted.  They are then impact coated with NECO moly & carnauba wax., sized .226” dia., 1st. driving band taper-sized to 3 deg. to match throat @ .224” dia.  Lyman Super Moly* ( I stiffen it up with Beeswax & Lanolin) is applied.  RWS brass has parchment paper wad placed in primer pockets & Fed. 205M small rifle match primers fitted.  All charges weighed using Redding No.2 scale.  Bullets seated with Sinclair micrometer-top-Wilson chamber seater with palm pressure.  1st. band fully engraved by rifling when action closed.  Rifle is a 26” oct. Shillen barreled Sharps-Borchardt panneled action sporting rifle fitted with a Leupold 12X CPC.  Setting up at the 100yd. range, H4227 powder loads were first tried.  Loads with charges from 7.0 thru 9.0 were tried..with very dissapointing results..none would group.  I had expected much more from this nicely cast little bullet as this powder and other 225415 bullets..even the egg-shaped ones had given quite good accuracy in the past.  Not expecting much improvement, I then tried loads using Vihtavuori N110.  This is fast becoming my favorite powder in the hornet..clean burning..but for some reason only for G.C. bullets, I have not yet found an accurate load with it for plain-base.

Using charges of 7.0grs. thru 7.2grs., I was getting groups of .625"  This was more like it!  In the past with other 225415 bullets, groups of 1/2” to 3/4” were the norm..using H4227 powder.  Now the puzzle is why didn't H4227 group with this superior dimensioned bullet?   It seems the more I learn..the more I don't know...more testing in the future!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 18 November 2015

I used to shoot that bullet over 5gr of 800X in my Hornet for 1900fps. Went well.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 18 November 2015

maybe we experienced cba guys are getting smarter ... but our bullets ain't following along ... ??

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 19 November 2015

.22-10-45 wrote: It seems the more I learn..the more I don't know...more testing in the future! I think a lot of thoughtful CB shooters sometimes feel the same.

Maybe we should pay more attention when something that shouldn't shoot well does anyway. Whether it is a batch of cull bullets that shoot very small groups or an egg shaped bullet that shoots better than a round one e.g. your example. I think most of us dismiss these events as something not following the principles of CB shooting. But maybe some of the well known principles are wrong.

We prize a mold that drops a round bullet but do we know that is better than one that isn't round. Few of my molds have zero offset and some have quite a bit.  I also shoot beagled bullets fairly often. Some of these match your experience and shoot great. I'm not suggesting that egg shaped bullets are better than round but shooting has made me skeptical that absolute roundness is needed and maybe we shouldn't worry so much about roundness. John

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 19 November 2015

I'd like to see some 5 shot 5 group targets.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 21 November 2015

I shot the 62 grain RN back in the mid-60's. I was getting around a 3' group at 100 yards. I quit on that project.

What's the twist rate in your .22 Hornet? Mine was a 16 inch twist in a Model 43 Winchester.

Attached Files

.22-10-45 posted this 22 November 2015

My twist is 1-14". As to joeb33050 question about groups..I finally have a dig. camera..now to learn how to post photo's! One thing I have noticed lately is that I seem to have trouble aiming that I didn't before. I am using a fixed 12X cpc ret. Leupold and I set crosshairs to line up on bottom & r.h. side of black square...used to be edges were razor sharp..now after 1st. 5 shots or so...not so much. Maybe I just need to take longer breaks between strings..anyway, I still have some nice groups from 18-20 years ago I can try to post.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 22 November 2015

re: better bullseyes for senior citizens .... i have found i see best with hollow circles or squares .... where i just center the crosshairs .... use a big enough whitespace to not strain your eyes ... i find very little aiming error with this .... smaller at least than with trying to center a dark crosshair on a dark bullseye . to test this, make a hollow circle/square about 6 inches diameter ... shoot a group ... you will find very little aiming error .... it must be something like a reverse peep sight ...

if you are using a 10 or higher power scope you could use a 1 inch white space . like joeb's bulls, in fact .

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 03 December 2015

Ain't fate funny. Guess what I just bought my 11 year old daughter to shoot small game with? A Zastava .22 Hornet. Guess I have to bust out the 225415 again.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Close