NOE Pointed Cast Bullet Design

• 3K Views
  • Last Post 18 January 2016
Loren Barber posted this 06 October 2015

I primarily use and Accurate Mold (31-235H) in my 30 BR.  It is a rather typical rounded nose design and weighs 216 grains with lube and gas check.  Has anyone had experience with the NOE pointed cast bullet 311-198 SP and compared it to a more traditional rounded or truncated cone shaped cast bullet of about the same weight in 30 caliber?  The very pointed projectile should have somewhat higher ballistic coefficient.  Has this shape demonstrated advantage particularly at longer ranges as one might expect

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
OU812 posted this 06 October 2015

Here is a good tread on this bullet.

http://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php/topic,800.msg7010.html#msg7010

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 02 November 2015

Using 12bhn lead/antimony alloy bullets cast .3127 diameter at bands. Weight is 200.7 grains. Gas check shank is slightly large, so gas checks do not fit easily. Mould is a little difficult to cast with (must cast HOT for best fillout). Soon I will ladder  test using 4759 powder. Leade in 308 chamber is cut “lots” longer and at .310 diameter. Throat has a .75 degree per side angle. Shilen short chambered barrel has a 1/10 twist (I like a 1/12 twist)

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 08 November 2015

Loren, I can cast you a few of these to test if you like. I know you use linotype. Just let me know.

Attached Files

Loren Barber posted this 09 November 2015

Providing a few, maybe 25 or so would be extremely generous and greatly appreciated.  I think I could do some careful comparative work, share it with you and write a note for the Fouling Shot with any significant results. Loren Barber4995 Jamaca Ave NLake Elmo, MN 55042

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 November 2015

I plan on testing this NOE design against the Accurate design below. I cut 308 leade deeper so that most of bullet is supported in throat. History repeats itself. 

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 January 2016

Loren I just bought a copy of that mold.  The NOE 311198 sp is a copy of the old Lyman 311365.  I have about 150 bullets laying around right now.  They have all be sized and lubed but I can easily make a fresh run.  I would be happy to provide you with a bunch. Jim Scearcy

Attached Files

Scearcy posted this 16 January 2016

PS:  I think they re going to need to be tapered for most rifles.

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 17 January 2016

Sorry for the delay, but my range has been closed and just opened after remodeling. The Accurate mold pictured above shot very well in my long throated 308. I have not tested the pointy NOE one yet. These heavy bullets recoil or kick like a horse from my 12 lb Remington VS.

Attached Files

Artful posted this 17 January 2016

Can you use a PAST recoil pad or lead shot sack?

Attached Files

OU812 posted this 18 January 2016

The gun jumps all over the bags...recoil does not hurt much.

Attached Files

Close