Casting .22 cal lead balls for air rifle

• 2.5K Views
  • Last Post 03 February 2016
pondercat posted this 13 September 2015

I finally got that .220 buckshot mold from sharpshooters.  I guess their mill was broken down for awhile so it took longer than usual.  Anyways, I got it yesterday and today I cast some,  lubed them up with 45-45-10, and proceeded to shoot them.   My first casting attempts are shooting well. (heavy sigh of relief).  Just like the store bought round balls, those that fit a bit loose shoot pretty much where they want to, but those that are tightest fitting are quite accurate.  

The mold drops 20 shot at a time so it really shouldn't take long to cast quite a few.  The slowest part of the task is cutting the balls from the spru. (shown in the middle of the shot) Sharpshooters included the flush cut side cutters for that task at no charge.  They also refunded the shipping cost to me because it took an extra week to get the mold out.  They seem like a pretty straight up outfit to do business with. 

There will be a definite learning curve to casting these little gems.  Out of 120 cast, I only got about 50 good ones this time around, but as you can see from the image my first good .>(?) ones are quite satisfactory.  I didn't cast more this time because of time constraints and I really, really, really wanted to try them out.  These shot dropped at right around 15+ grains using pure lead with a little contamination from some wheel weight material left in the pot.   After casting a few thousand more I should I should be producing a much higher quantity of good pellets! 

These were shot from my Umarex Octane at 15 yards.  The red aiming point is 3/4 inch.  I have not chronoed these yet.  Those two flyers. . . oh well! Terry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
onondaga posted this 14 September 2015

http://castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=9145>pondercat

I have a Sharpshooters mold also, but mine is “O” Buckshot and I like it a lot.  These molds have to be run very hot. I use good thick glove  on the hand I hold the mold with and cast at 800 degrees F. with pure lead.

I watched all the videos at the Sharpshooter website and tried both pouring methods. The single continuous sprue method works better for me to retain the heat the mold needs.

Some of my “O” Buckshot.

Gary

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 14 September 2015

Have any of y'all tried improving the 'roundess' by swaging or rolling them?

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 14 September 2015

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=97>TRK

I only use my “O” Buckshot in 12 ga 9 pellet Coyote loads in an AA shotcup with BPI particle or PRPSB spherical buffer and I use the shot for slingshot ammo too. The roundness has not been relevant in my applications, 9 of them stack and fit in my shot-shells just fine and my slingshot doesn't care about roundness either. The little sprue nubs cut pretty flush if you work carefully with the tool provided by the Sharpshooter mold maker.

I use certified pure lead (BHN 5-6) to cast “O” Buckshot but have also tried soft range srcap (BHN 6-8) from jacketed bullets. They show no difference on paper or game if pure lead or soft scrap. The Buckshot loads are fired from a Winchester Black Shadow 1200 pump smooth-bore with a Carlson's rifled choke tube and pattern 90% in a 30” circle at 100 yards. This works for Coyote at 100 yards.

Gary

Attached Files

Cary Gunn posted this 28 January 2016

Dang me, Gary,

Ninety-percent patterns at 100 yards?

With a tight, long-shootin' load like that you ought to be able to drop game into next week.

Find a way to patent that load, man.  You'd make a million bucks.

Happy trails,

-- Cary Gunn --

Attached Files

onondaga posted this 28 January 2016

http://www.castbulletassoc.org/view_user.php?id=8800>Cary Gunn

It is an easy load to duplicate: 12 ga AA hull WAA12L wad 9 pellets “O” buckshot 2.5 cc Precision Reloaders PSB  buffer 17.4 gr H Titegroup, Charge is scale weighed within .1 gr. W209 Primer 6 point crimp 1231 fps verified with my stuff listed in the 4th reply in this post.

NOTE: This is not a hot load, a higher charge with H TiteGroup opens the Buck Shot pattern with my stuff.

Gary

Attached Files

Hamish posted this 03 February 2016

pondercat, any updates to report? 

Attached Files

Close