Bird Shot

• 1.9K Views
  • Last Post 11 June 2015
Revolverman posted this 08 June 2015

Transfer station attendent gave me two cans of various sizes of shot.  Wondered whether this was safe to melt in with WW or not.  I have no idea of the compostion.  I've picked over the WW pretty carefully and going to melt it well below 700 degrees.  Safe to add the shot or am I liable to melt something I don't really want in the mix?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
358156hp posted this 09 June 2015

Melt it. You may have to crush the shot against the side of the pot, depending on how hard the graphite coating is, I've seen the graphite harden to a shell on some older shot. Standard chilled shot normally has no tin in it, about 2% of antimony, a trace of arsenic, and the remaining 97 or so percent should be lead. Magnum shot is quite a treat, 6% antimony, 1.25% arsenic, and the rest is lead. Just make sure there's no bismuth shot in it. I'd melt all the shot together, add a couple percent of tin, and see how it casts. Magnum shot responds nicely to heat-treating.

Attached Files

rockquarry posted this 11 June 2015

I was given some old shot; tried melting it but the melt was incomplete. Perhaps this is the “shell” coating of graphite? Stirring seemed to have no effect on a breakdown of the mix.

Attached Files

Close