30 XCB for low-velocity rifles?

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 02 January 2015
Pentz posted this 22 December 2014

Not wanting to hijack the accuracy thread for the 30 XCB, I'm starting this one for low-velocity, specifically 30-06 military rifle match shooting.  Has anyone applied this concept to military rifle shooting in the 1500 fps range?  I prefer a fitted, heavy bore-riding bullet but that is due to “common knowledge” and ignorance on my part of anything else.  Breach-seating is not an option in this case.   It may be that a throat-sized bore rider cut for my rifle's 5-groove bore is as good as it is going to get.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
goodsteel posted this 22 December 2014

I believe it would work quite well. I will be trying it in my M1A soon, and I have no doubt it will provide good results at the speeds you mention. The fourth member of the XCB research team sgt.Mike (not yet a member of this forum) will be ragging it out in several military rifles (03A3, P17 Enfield, for sure) and has already proven it a very effective bullet in the Remington 721 and the 1903-A3. Accuracy was very easy to attain.

Attached Files

Sgt_Mike posted this 23 December 2014

Pentz wrote: Not wanting to hijack the accuracy thread for the 30 XCB, I'm starting this one for low-velocity, specifically 30-06 military rifle match shooting.  Has anyone applied this concept to military rifle shooting in the 1500 fps range?  I prefer a fitted, heavy bore-riding bullet but that is due to “common knowledge” and ignorance on my part of anything else.  Breach-seating is not an option in this case.   It may be that a throat-sized bore rider cut for my rifle's 5-groove bore is as good as it is going to get.

LOL funny you should mention that Yes indeed my load was in the 721 Remington SR 4759 at 20 grs, in my son's browning BBR... Sr 4759 at 21 grains and in the 1903A3 Remington 21 grs of Sr 4759 netted in the 1700ish fps with a good denisty fill, I did not use any filler or dacron.

Worst was my son's Browning 1 inch 100 5 shot group that was with him shooting. In the Remingtons I generally get a pretty consistant sub 1” group for 10 shots. Now that I wrote that my groups will double next time out .....

I have wondered how the load would do with IMR4227 but thus far my experiance with the XCB bullet at below 1800 in the 30-06 has been favorable.

Oh I need to note I used alum Gas checks and White Label 2500 lube COAL was set to lightly engage the rifling in all of my below 1800 fps loads thus far. I had the load worked in the 1903A3 quickly probably 15 min after I sat down at the bench. Both the 721 and Browning BBR took about the same time with the SR4759 powder.

Attached Files

Lar45 posted this 26 December 2014

Attached Files

Sgt_Mike posted this 31 December 2014

For the original poster Just setup 50 rounds of the XCB (NOE 310 165 FN) bullets for use in Bjornb's 1917 that I have been working on, as the rifle was not bedded correctly but that is another story. The bullets I selected varying condition on cast quality yes I included flaws, the alloy was 50/50 water dropped with Hornaday gas checked sized to .310". To discuss the weight variances of the bullet the sample lot Lo 171.9grs Avg 172.9grs Hi 173.7grs That is a 1.8 gr spread low to high. According to my spreadsheet the Std Dev is 0.33

Attached Files

PETE posted this 31 December 2014

Sgt_Mike

Ought to be an interestimg test. But am wondering if you will be trying other powders since SR4759 will no longer be made. I'd sure hate to spend the time and effort on a powder I won't be able to get in the future. Especially if I find a great load combo using it.

Pete

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 December 2014

"the alloy was 50/50 water dropped with Hornaday gas checked sized to .310"

Sgt. Mike, 50/50 of what two metals? Thanks. John

Attached Files

PETE wrote: Sgt_Mike

Ought to be an interesting test. But am wondering if you will be trying other powders since SR4759 will no longer be made. I'd sure hate to spend the time and effort on a powder I won't be able to get in the future. Especially if I find a great load combo using it.

Pete Pete,  if you get some A-5744 let me know if it works close to SR4759. I've heard it works pretty close just none on the shelf locally. Mike:D

P.S. kinda waiting on obtaining the A5744 before shifting to see

Attached Files

John Alexander wrote: "the alloy was 50/50 water dropped with Hornaday gas checked sized to .310"

Sgt. Mike, 50/50 of what two metals? Thanks. JohnSorry John WW and straight lead.

Mike

Attached Files

PETE posted this 31 December 2014

Sgt_Mike

Will do but 5744 is pretty scarce around here too. Two of the big shows in the State are coming up in Jan. and if any is around it'll be there.

Pete

Attached Files

Pentz posted this 01 January 2015

5744 is common out here but it does not perform as well for my '06 as 2400.  It burns quite hot and the barrel is very hot to the touch after a regulation 10 round string.  Don't care for it at all.

Attached Files

Sgt_Mike posted this 02 January 2015

PETE wrote: Sgt_Mike

Will do but 5744 is pretty scarce around here too. Two of the big shows in the State are coming up in Jan. and if any is around it'll be there.

Pete

Pete Just found some AA5744, Goodsteel happened to have some, But he echoed Pentz's statement above being iffy when he tried it in his 45-70. Looking at Western Powder's manual shows 25 grs for a 173gr bullet at 1900 or so fps. Ill give this a go in as time permits.

Attached Files

Close