Calibers for BR

• 8.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 January 2014
Longone posted this 30 December 2013

I've been doing some reading and from what I see of the rules and from the results pages there are all kinds of calibers and cartridges competing in benchrest. Most of the top scores are being turned in from smaller cases like the 32-20, 32-40, 30BR, etc. So is anyone shooting the 300 Blackout? Is there any hope for a case combination like this?  I'm looking to get in the game but as always there are endless combinations of case size and bullets. I'm looking for something that is not going to be a tuning nightmare if you know what I mean and if I need to buy a reamer it won't be 11 months like a Krieger barrel.   Your suggestions please.   Thanks, Longone

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
delmarskid1 posted this 30 December 2013

I have a 30BR and one thing I would do differently is go with a “no neck turn” reamer. Turning case necks to .010” is a PITA. The cartridge is pretty easy to work with other than that. Brass isn't real cheap but it lasts well. I was considering a 30/.223 but a friend has a lathe and the reamer so there we go! Check out Brux barrels. The guys who make them are all F-class shooters and use their own barrels.

Attached Files

Longone posted this 30 December 2013

Does someone make a no turn reamer for the 30BR? I have a pretty good supply of gold box Lapua so that might be the way to go. What twist and bullet are you shooting?

Longone

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 31 December 2013

I am shooting a 1/12 twist barrel. It was drilled .298” and is cut rifled with four lands to .308". I'm still looking for my load and most likely always will be. We are talking about cast bullets right? I went with the 12” twist so I could shoot 180 to 200 grain bullets with out having to drive them too hard if I didn't want to. I'm not a gung-ho bench shooter. I just thought that I should have the rifle and it does shoot well. I've used the Saeco 200g truncated cone, a tapered 165g Saeco, and a custom Accurate Moulds in 180g. I like this bullet. It has a .2” me-plat and tangential ogive. The first three bands are .304,.306,.308. The bottom two are .312” and then the gas check shank of .284. Been using about 30g of 4198 in Lapua brass with Winchester small rifle primers. I neck size with a Redding bushing die and then seat with a Wilson seating die and cheap arbor press. I ended up turning the necks to .009” so that I could size to .311” for the .310” throat. Five shot groups make a little over an inch but there are the ever present cluster teasers in each group. I'll get better.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 December 2013

People ask me the first thing they should do to improve accuracy and I tell them to spend more time at the bench actually shooting.

Attached Files

Longone posted this 31 December 2013

Yes I am talking lead bullets. Are you guys using the newer blue box Lapua or the older gold box? I really don't want to turn necks if I can help it but it may come down to that. I have a 165 Sil., a 180 SP, and a 200 Sil. mold all RCBS. I have shot the 165, and 180 to some pretty good groups with a 30-06 but consistency is lacking, I suspect mainly because of the brass. I'm looking to play around with a 7MM that has been collecting dust and just picked up a couple of molds for that. The OAL of the case in 1.710” so there may be some potential there, time will tell.

.298” to me seems a bit tight but if it's working so be it, who made the barrel?

Longone

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 31 December 2013

i think the 30 blackout cartridge was ” developed ” more to fit those plastic rifles than for accuracy.

ya, i bot a lee longboy mold too, and now am looking for a cartridge ... i think i have a 7.62 x 39 barrel somewhere for a mauser. have to check twist .. and see if extractor catches ...

i think lapua makes x39 cases also ...

ken

Attached Files

Uncle Russ posted this 01 January 2014

Anybody else have the strange urge to shoot 6mm or .25 cal like me? Do we all shoot .30 cal because of the vast availability of equipment?

Somebody straighten me out before another 2-300 dollars disappears! :riflebr:

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 01 January 2014

Paul Pollard has been shootng a 6mm for years and I went a season with a 6.5 PPC. Granted the 30 calibers are the best for the very reason you said but playing with something outside the box is a lot of fun....along with lot of agravation. For someone building a first rifle for BR the choices in my opinion would be the 30BR, 30 BR, and 30 br in that order.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 01 January 2014

I tried a 30 BR, 30 Kern, then went to a 30 PPC and am now using a 30/223. Best so far was the 30 PPC. Might consider a 264 Ultra which is 6.5 mm in a shortened 284 Winch. case.

For the Kern I used Lapua 7.62 x 39 cases (large primer).

Tom

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 01 January 2014

Uncle Russ, I won't disagree with Pat or Tom. About a 30 caliber something or other because of the ease of getting molds and other equipment. But a smaller caliber isn't that big of a deal if you can get a decent mold. So if you have a “strange urge” why not give it a try.  We already have plenty of 30 caliber shooters.

In addition to the two shooters mentioned by Pat, the late Mike Mohler shot very well for years with a production class Ruger 77 in 243 including winning all the marbles at the 2006 nationals and setting several records some of which still stand.  In 2006 Mike not only dominated production class but his scores would have won some aggregates in heavy class.

The late David Crump was also shooting a 6mm last season and doing well.

A 6mm or .25 would be easier to shoot than a thirty caliber because it would jump around and rotate less. On the minus side and bullet would be more wind sensitive than a 30 caliber bullet of the same shape.  See Joe Brennan's post today where he argues that wind is an overrated consideration.

There is no reason why a .25 caliber couldn't be competitive and it would be a hoot figuring out how to make it work.

John

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 02 January 2014

i am spiraling towards a 6mm, mostly because it would be weird, and also because i have lots of 6mm equipment to get started with, mostly 6 ppc.

days are getting longer, be shooting again real soon ...

ken

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 02 January 2014

Ken Campbell Iowa wrote: i am spiraling towards a 6mm, mostly because it would be weird, and also because i have lots of 6mm equipment to get started with, mostly 6 ppc.

days are getting longer, be shooting again real soon ...

ken

Ken, There must be experience out there on the 6ppc and cast.  I believe Glenn Latham, our editor,  shot one for awhile.  

If you are starting from scratch a 6mm Fireball or 6mmBee would be nifty.  But I don't know how much difference, it makes except in theory,to have a “right sized” case that is mostly filled up with powder for a cb load.  The example of Mike Mohler's (243), and Dan Tyler's (308) performances would argue that it isn't as important as other things.

John

Attached Files

Reg Lingle posted this 03 January 2014

Uncle Russ: I took a broken extractor L46 Sako and a 9.5” twist take-off barrel and made a 6mm - 222 Rem standard. It likes the slower burning powders, - like 22gr. Varget behind a 80 gr. LBT spitzer. I liked that cartridge so well I wanted an easier rifle to shoot, I am older and have a trigger hand that hic-ups when I shoot  - the reason for the heavier rifle. This year I built 6mm PPC 10” twist BR and am just now making ammo and straightening out die problems. I have a new LBT bullet mold  making approximatly .9” long 100 gr. lino bullets. If the tests with the 6mm/222 are worth while the 6PPC is going to a great shooter at 200 yds. Just some thoughts from a guy out in the hinterlands. Reg

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 03 January 2014

john A : i have always wanted to build something on a bee case, i had a W.43 bee when i wuz young. i think a 25 Bee would BEE just right ( g ).

however, my 6 ppc is mostly done .. ppg turn neck reamer with separate 1^ included throater, borden rblp action/jewel trigger... i have a borden br stock but think i will see if i can fit it into a bdl remmy stock .. then can take it starling sniping !! oh, a ( one of the not-so-many good ones ) blackstar 14 T barrels, so will be using short bullets ... like those 1/2 moa 22 LR ( g ) .

i got more of the 6mm 21” varmint wt blackstar 14T barrels .. these are the good ones with tough stainless. sell or trade ..

PM WORKS !! THANKS MIKE !!

ken

Attached Files

joeb33050 posted this 03 January 2014

pat i. wrote: Paul Pollard has been shootng a 6mm for years and I went a season with a 6.5 PPC. Granted the 30 calibers are the best for the very reason you said but playing with something outside the box is a lot of fun....along with lot of agravation. For someone building a first rifle for BR the choices in my opinion would be the 30BR, 30 BR, and 30 br in that order. Trying to get a 22 cf to shoot is NOT fun!!! 

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 04 January 2014

Longone wrote: Yes I am talking lead bullets. Are you guys using the newer blue box Lapua or the older gold box? I really don't want to turn necks if I can help it but it may come down to that. I have a 165 Sil., a 180 SP, and a 200 Sil. mold all RCBS. I have shot the 165, and 180 to some pretty good groups with a 30-06 but consistency is lacking, I suspect mainly because of the brass. I'm looking to play around with a 7MM that has been collecting dust and just picked up a couple of molds for that. The OAL of the case in 1.710” so there may be some potential there, time will tell.

.298” to me seems a bit tight but if it's working so be it, who made the barrel?

LongoneTo answer the barrel question it was made by Brux Barrels in Lodi Wi.  A friend uses them for his bench and F-class rifles.  The .298” bit hasn't given me any trouble as of yet.  I have a nose sizing die to use if I need it.  I like the idea of a 7mm bench cartridge. Why not an 8mm for that matter.  With the 7 one could use 7BR brass as is provided it can still be found.

Attached Files

Longone posted this 04 January 2014

As far as the 30 BR is concerned I have all the fixin's for this little 7mm so why not fail there first. I can always get another barrel and have it chambered for the 30BR as a backup plan. I don't own a LBT mold as of yet so if this 7mm shows some promise I might just get some measurements and have a mold made for the barrel. In the mean time while I'm freezing here in the North East I'll just keep dreaming that there will be a 7mm out there giving the BR boys a little run for their money.

Longone

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 04 January 2014

Longone wrote: In the mean time while I'm freezing here in the North East I'll just keep dreaming that there will be a 7mm out there giving the BR boys a little run for their money.

Longone

Dan Hudson has done very well shooting a 7-08 in the last couple of nationals.  Give it a try. Can't understand why you guys down there in the banana belt keep complaining about the weather.  Minus 20 here this morning but they say the warm weather won't last. John Old Town, Maine

Attached Files

Longone posted this 04 January 2014

So much for me retiring to Maine. -20 is what beer is supposed to be served at. Hopefully I have attached a pic of the formed case next to a 308.   Longone

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 04 January 2014

John, If I lived as far south as Old Town, Maine, I'd think minus 20 was warm also! Of course we have 320 days of sunshine here, and that makes it seem much warmer. Ric

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close