Xmas Lunch and Skeet Shoot

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 20 December 2013
6pt-sika posted this 14 December 2013

Provided the weather stays good like the forecast I'll be heading down wednesday to the little one field skeet club I belong to close to Richmond Virginia to cook some tenderloin , green peppers , onions and mushrooms for a little pre Xmas celebration and of course we'll shoot a bit !

I'll carry along my circa 1930 Utica AH Fox A grade 16 and 3 boxes of handloads . Also plan to drag along my Philly Fox Sterlingworth 20 gauge IC/M gun provided I get a box or two loaded for the little gun tommorrow !

The little one club field I belong to down there is “supposedly” the oldest skeet club in Virginia , dating back to some time in the mid 30's I believe . We have 36 members I think . Quite a bit different from my local gunclub that sports 400 members !

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Shadowdog posted this 15 December 2013

Good luck, have fun, and God bless! I can't shoot a SXS to save my hide!:(

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 December 2013

I grew up with side by sides !

Graduated from a single barrel to a side by when I was about 14 .

When I was coming up my father didn't like pumps and the only semi auto's he liked was the Browning A-5 . So if one brought a shotgun home it better be a nice old side by side or a Browning Superposed . When I was 16 I bought myself a rather nice mid grade WW Greener 12 gauge . This one had a tang safety and rather nice engraving on the boxlock action . Paid $425 for it with a leather leg o mutten case in 1977 . Took it to Clark brothers the biggest gun shop around here and they offered me $1500 for it . Also found out it only had 2 1/2” chambers which they opened for me at a cost of $30 . Gun was choked light IC and full . Later in life I had the full opened to modified . I rarely shoot that gun anymore and I should . But at the moment I have far more fun shooting the 10's , 16's and 20's !

Attached Files

There's a young fellow who just finished Gunsmith school in Pittsburgh about 7 months ago that works with us now . He going to go with me as he lives about 10 miles from the club .

But the young man just got himself a nice old Ithaca “Flues” 20 gauge side by side in fixer up shape and I think he going to bring that along to shoot .

Attached Files

I like doubles, I just haven't what ever it takes to shoot them well. I've tried some English doubles from the 19th century, a classy German pre-war sidelock, as well as the likes of L.C.Smith, Fox, a few Parkers, a hardware grade Stevens, a Churchill Flyweight 20ga, and various others. Just no real good luck with em.

Some were okay, but nothing outstanding. An O/U, yeah I can hit pretty regular with one of them. My personal favorite's are the fixed choke Ithaca '37s.

Attached Files

I first shot skeet with a Browning B-SS sidelock 12 gauge and that thing would rock you with standard skeet loads . I graduated to a Browning Citori 4 barrel set and in a year or two went to a Remington 3200 with Purbaugh subgauge tubes . After another year or so I went to a Krieghoff K-32 with Kolar subgauge tubes I bought new from John Allem in Zionsville PA .

After geting the K-32 I swapped stocks a couple times until I got a very nice monte carlo Bavarian Grade K-80 wood set . With that stock set and the addition of two trap barrels I shot everything with that K-32 . By everything I mean competitive NSSA skeet and competitive ATA trap as well as some NSCA events to boot .

That K-32 with the K-80 stock was my ticket . Shooting that gun in that configuration I was able to reach AAA in all 4 skeet gauges as well as AA at 16 Trap and 25 yards at handicap before I stopped shooting .

Over the course of time I was able to shoot O/U's , SxS's , pump's and auto's equally well at both games .

One of my proudest memories was when I was out shooting for the heck of it one day . We shot a round of skeet first and I was using a field grade Winchester Model 12 16 gauge that had a 28” barrel with a solid rib . I shot 25 straight on the skeet field then my friend wanted to shoot a round of trap . I shot 25 straight on that one as well . I might add when we shot the round of skeet I put 25 black clouds in the sky . After we were done my friend asked to look at my Model 12 . After looking it over he asked me if I knew the gun was choked FULL and I said yes I did , hence the 25 black balls when I shot the skeet targets .

My point being after a person has shot enough targets and as long as the gun semi fits you the action doesn't really make alot of difference .

Usually when I go to a dove shoot I take one side by side and one over and under . And over the course of getting my 15 birds I'll shoot them both .

Attached Files

Kinda reminds me of my 1953 Ithaca '37 Field model, plain old 30” full choke barrel. That thing fits so well and swings so nice, it's hard to miss with, (kind of restrictive to hunt with though, makes a mess of game unless ya let em get out a bit).

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 16 December 2013

Well I loaded about 105 of a lighter standard load for the little 20 gauge Sterlingworth and went outside to try a couple . Sounded okay and knocked bark from a tree about 25 yards away so they should do . I suspect the velocity is down around 1100-1150 but thats fine .

Attached Files

Shadowdog posted this 16 December 2013

There's a lot of choke compensation that can be accomplished with load adjustment all right. I found this out reading the BPI Advantage manual, haven't tried any yet though as I've been too busy playing with round ball, buck and ball, and sabot loads using .58 Minie bullets. I think I even have the wads around here someplace.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 17 December 2013

Shadowdog wrote: There's a lot of choke compensation that can be accomplished with load adjustment all right. I found this out reading the BPI Advantage manual, haven't tried any yet though as I've been too busy playing with round ball, buck and ball, and sabot loads using .58 Minie bullets. I think I even have the wads around here someplace. I don't drop back on the loads because of the chokes . I generally do it to lower the pressure some for damascus barrels but in this case that little Sterlingworth is kinda light so a little less recoil isn't such a bad idea !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 17 December 2013

Well I have about 8 pounds of tenderloin marinating in my home made italian salad dressing concoction . Also have a fair amount of sliced onions green pepers and fresh mushrooms ready for the second pot !

I'll need to get some bread tommorrow and I should be good to go .

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 December 2013

Well my shooting wednesday was okay but not great !

The venison tenderloin marinated in home made italian salad dressing was very nice and tender . The sauted onions green pepers and mushrooms were also a hit !

Got some King Hawiann rolls and a pound cake for desert .

Think there were 7 of us there and it was all eaten or taken home by someone other then myself .

Overall a rather nice and pleasent day . We did however loose an 80+ year old member a week or two before when he finally gave up the ghost to cancer . And I was informed by one of the memebers thats about 77 that is has alzhiemers now and it's getting steadily worse although he remmemebered me that day . He told me since my friend that took me to this club the first time maybe 6 years ago and died this past spring that he thought they would never see me down there again . As I had not made the trip since Bill passed .

Anyway I hadn't planned on re upping my membership but I went on and paid it wednesday .

Attached Files

Close