PROBLEM SOLVING STOCK MODIFICATION

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 31 October 2013
joeb33050 posted this 30 October 2013

PROBLEM SOLVING STOCK MODIFICATION

During a 15 minute relay I can fire one warmup shot and either two or three five shot groups. In the warm months, most of the months down here, the barrel gets hot for the third group and accuracy of that third group suffers-third groups are bigger.
While there are many solutions to barrel heat, including mine of pouring water through the barrel, none are entirely satisfactory.
Sportery rifles with thin forends impose at least a psychological disadvantage on their shooters who see the wide-forearm guns shooting.
Free floating barrels are those passing the “dollar bill” test. I've always wondered if some barrels don't thrash about more than a dollar's worth, and touch the stock.

Many Savage rifle shooters replace stocks, so that “tupperware” stock stocks are commonly available for little cash.
Here are pictures of a stock modification engineered to improve barrel cooling, widen that forend and eliminate any barrel-stock contact.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

Inside with loading ramp

Attached Files

Anti-wobble screw. There are two screws, left and right, to keep the flat wood from wobbling on the rounded stock.

Attached Files

And that's pretty much it. The barrel cools faster/better-I think, and the gun is much more stable on the front bag. There's a lot of interest at the range, “Ya gotta see this!” is heard. Now the checkering.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 30 October 2013

I love it! I've been thinking something along those lines for a while mainly to really irriate a certain benchrest shooter that seems to think that I have to go by the same rules as he does when I'm shooting Plain Base Breech Seating. He doesn't seem to understand rule books and I was thinking more like a Four by Four.

RB

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 30 October 2013

Good thinking Joe. You've accomplished this for a lot less money.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 30 October 2013

Now that is what I call a free floating barrel. Good out of the box thinking. Yea!!!

Attached Files

RDUPRAZ posted this 30 October 2013

Either that or returning debris dicovered after the last moon shot!

RD

Attached Files

delmarskid1 posted this 30 October 2013

Another half inch off and you can get at the barrel nut with out dismounting the stock! Hmmmm.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 October 2013

I am waiting to see the checkering. I think a wraparound point pattern would look good.

Forty coats of hand rubbed tung oil and an buffalo horn forend tip will finish the job up just right.

John

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 31 October 2013

That thing needs wheels. Nail an old skate on the bottom and it can double as a skate board.

Attached Files

Close