Trail Boss in .308 Win.

• Last Post 3 days ago
Shuz posted this 3 weeks ago

Has anybody tried Trail Boss in the .308 Win. with cast boolits in the 170 to 180g range? If so, I would appreciate your sharing your results.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
sergeant69 posted this 3 weeks ago

i use 12 gr TB w/180 bullets thru a can. works great

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • blackout52
Shuz posted this 1 weeks ago

I tried 12g of Trail Boss with a NOE 311-165 in a .308 Winchester MDL 11 Savage and got a 10 shot group of around 2 inches at 100 yards. There was 2 shooters involved in the 10 shot group. My son fired 5 shots and then I fired five shots. We each had a flyer and eliminating those two shots the 8 shot group measured 1.7" This load needs to be tried again, but this time with a Lee clone of Lyman's 311041.

Attached Files

Shuz posted this 3 days ago

I used Trail Boss yesterday in CBA competition in my Savage mdl 11 and found it to be very inconsistent. I would get flyers out in the 3 ring right after putting 2 or three into the 9 or 10 rings! 1 ten shot agg was 5 inches and the other was 2.75 inches. My score was only 147 due to several hitting the 3 ring! My 5 shot groups were mostly all over 3 inches. Interesting but frustrating day! Only consolation was there were guys shooting AR platform rounds with cast boolits that did even more poorly!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Little Debbie
John Alexander posted this 3 days ago

This may not be relevant, but I tried Trail Boss in a 223 with 80 grain CBs.  The variation in muzzle velocity both ES and SD were the smallest of any powder I had tried.  But I couldn't get it to shoot decent groups. Maybe too different from 45 Colt.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
RicinYakima posted this 3 days ago

Another case of ES and SD having little to do with accuracy, except for very long range where bullet drop is greater than group size. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
Close