Trail Boss in .308 Win.

• Last Post 17 October 2021
Shuz posted this 04 October 2021

Has anybody tried Trail Boss in the .308 Win. with cast boolits in the 170 to 180g range? If so, I would appreciate your sharing your results.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 17 October 2021

Another case of ES and SD having little to do with accuracy, except for very long range where bullet drop is greater than group size. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
John Alexander posted this 17 October 2021

This may not be relevant, but I tried Trail Boss in a 223 with 80 grain CBs.  The variation in muzzle velocity both ES and SD were the smallest of any powder I had tried.  But I couldn't get it to shoot decent groups. Maybe too different from 45 Colt.

John

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Shuz posted this 17 October 2021

I used Trail Boss yesterday in CBA competition in my Savage mdl 11 and found it to be very inconsistent. I would get flyers out in the 3 ring right after putting 2 or three into the 9 or 10 rings! 1 ten shot agg was 5 inches and the other was 2.75 inches. My score was only 147 due to several hitting the 3 ring! My 5 shot groups were mostly all over 3 inches. Interesting but frustrating day! Only consolation was there were guys shooting AR platform rounds with cast boolits that did even more poorly!

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Little Debbie
Shuz posted this 13 October 2021

I tried 12g of Trail Boss with a NOE 311-165 in a .308 Winchester MDL 11 Savage and got a 10 shot group of around 2 inches at 100 yards. There was 2 shooters involved in the 10 shot group. My son fired 5 shots and then I fired five shots. We each had a flyer and eliminating those two shots the 8 shot group measured 1.7" This load needs to be tried again, but this time with a Lee clone of Lyman's 311041.

Attached Files

sergeant69 posted this 04 October 2021

i use 12 gr TB w/180 bullets thru a can. works great

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • blackout52
Close