New "old" guy

• Last Post 17 April 2021
  • Topic Is Solved
Burnside posted this 17 April 2021

Hello to all!  I'm pleased to find this site as I want to get started in bullet casting.  I recently became interested in hand cast bullets after purchasing a .44 special revolver and reading about handloads and what could be achieved by using a prudent bullet and powder combination.  To that end I've learned that to create a accurate load the bullet must be of the same diameter (or slightly oversized) of the chamber throats in a revolver.   My questions are;

if the bullet mould produces bullets of the proper size is it necessary to run them through the sizer and luber?

If the bullet is undersized what does the sizer do?

If the bullet is oversized what does the sizer do?

What creates a oversized or undersized bullet?

Thanks for your input and please do recommend reading material that I could study before attempting my first batch.

Attached Files

David Reiss posted this 17 April 2021

Answers to questions in order:

1) No, you can use them as cast.

2) Only lube the bullet.

3) Sizes the bullet to the size of the die and lubes it.

4) Two things, bullet alloy, and mold cavity size. The mold size is self explanatory. The alloy composition effects the final size. The more lead the larger the size. Many molds are made so that they cast as made using Lyman #2 alloy, 

This may help, look at the alloy calculator. https://castbulletassoc.org/downloads

We may have more info on the site and I will look and let you know, however it sounds like you need our book set, "Cast Bullets for Beginners and Experts" which is sold through our store. It is a must for all casters, I have a copy and the majority of our members also.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

Close