Hodgdon TITEGROUP in rifles 308.223 rem

• Last Post 12 February 2024
joethereloader posted this 31 December 2023

any  advice

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Aaron posted this 31 December 2023

Don't.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
hporter posted this 31 December 2023

I have no personal experience, but Hodgdon includes both of the calibers you asked about in their online reloading calculator for Titegroup under the subsonic loads tab with the following bullet weights.

I use Bullseye a lot for subsonic "Cat Sneeze" loads with cast bullets.  But I recall reading that Titegroup can be temperamental, but don't recall the particulars.

I would love to be educated though, as I recently found a stash of this powder that I had set back.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Wm Cook
Tom Acheson posted this 31 December 2023

John Alexander has used loads of 5.5-grains of TG in a .223 with an 80-grain NOE bullet. You can see these loads listed in the FS.

I have the same NOE mold and have used 8.5-grains of SR 4756 in quite a few matches, in my XP-100 chambered in .22 BR. That case capacity is slightly larger than a .223. I also tried 7.5-grains of WST and 12-grains of 4227 and 4198, but the 4756 shot the best.

SR 4756 is out of production, so I found some TG locally and bought a pound. Using some direct ratio comparisons of the .223 vs. the .22 BR case, I plan to try 7.0-grains of TG in the .22 BR, after the arctic conditions leave our area.

The .308 case is larger than the .22 BR case. Sometimes we find ourselves contemplating teeny amounts of fast burning powder in a large volume case. Some people stay away from those combinations, while others......

Tom

Attached Files

Wm Cook posted this 31 December 2023

John's load shows he running n 85 grain bullet about 145fps with his .223 hunter class Tikka.  I started sub sonic work using Titegroup with a .308 over a year ago but got side tracked.  From my notes I was gonna start out with the NOE 311-184-PB using around 7 grains and work with it from there.  I slowed down when I found the bullet base was way below the neck and into the case.  Those were the days that I believed that some practices were sycophant and never to be challenged.  Today, I would give it a try but I got a few projects I need to tend to first.  No clue as to how Titegroup would shoot super sonic in 308.  But it works pretty good for JA in the .223.

I always thought of pistol powders in rifle cases if not achieing instantaneoous burn at least a super super fast burn rate.  Nothing but a barrel of monkeys fun.  Shooting a suppresed sub sonic in my K hornet is like dropping a pencil on the floor.  

Hyporter was right about the listings in Hodgdon for sub sonic and tigroup (not sure what velocity you're looking for).  They show 168 gr bullet, 8.0g at 1.064 with the 308.  Fun winter project. 

Maybe it would help if you mentioned what rifles are you using it on, what bullets, what accuracy are you expection at what velocities.  That would start a good conversation.  Happy new year!  Bill Cook.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 31 December 2023

Some low molecular weight stuff coming out of Titegroup will soften the plastic powder hopper at least on Redding measures. Solution --  don't be so darned lazy and put the stuff back in the jug when done. Some other powders may do the same. 

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 31 December 2023

Alliant Bullseye is notorious for eating plastic hoppers.

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 03 January 2024

It is the nitroglycerine doing the dirty work. All the double base powders are guilty but not equally.

It depends on the % nitroglycerine, Bullseye and Titegroup compete for top honors.

Single base powders from DuPont and VihtaVuori do not eat hoppers. It is still good practice to leave the hopper empty, it lessens the chance of a error in powder identity.

Steve

Attached Files

joethereloader posted this 09 January 2024

I found this out the hard way

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
joethereloader posted this 09 January 2024

Bear Creek AR 223 and rock river  308    the 223 sbr with 11 inch barrel, may not cycle .the 308 has  a 26 inch barrel

Attached Files

linoww posted this 09 January 2024

Don't.

why not,?

I've used, Bullseye, Red Dot, Green Dot,HP38 etc for lower power cast loads for prolly 40 years in .308,.223 and similar.I recently used TG in 7.5 Swiss with a stop ring bullet and had very good accuracy 

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Eutectic posted this 10 January 2024

I have used TiteGroup in my 30.06 with good results. 169 grain cast bullet, regular large rifle primer (CCI),5.8 grains TiteGroup gives 1025 fps The difference in average velocity of powder forward vs. powder reverse was 6 fps!

Nice load, burns clean, very little position sensitivity, quiet, inexpensive. What is not to like??

Bullseye performs similarly. I have used pounds of Red Dot in 30-30 and 30.06 at 6 to 10 grains.

As long as you keep to fast pistol powders you should have no problems. Do not use heavily coated ball powders like H-110 and 296. They can give ignition problems at low loading density.

I believe the blow-ups you hear about are double or triple charges. This is something you MUST prevent.

Steve

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • linoww
joethereloader posted this 12 January 2024

thank you all

Attached Files

drone posted this 08 February 2024

Late in the race but iirc in the 223 and 308 you have to be careful as the pressure takes of exponentially when a "certain" level is reached.

I used it for a while in 223, 308 and 357 with cast bullets with gc in the 223 and 308 but gave up on it as that point was darn close to the load hodgdons printed on the bottle for the 223 and so, when I sold my 357, I gave away what was left.

I use 2400 now, much less unpredictable. Single digit loads of which give subsonic ballistics in my 223, 30/30 and 308 with good accuracy.

I've given up casting for the 223 nowadays simply because I bought a rake of barnes varmint grenades, but still enjoy shooting 15 grains behind a 165 grn FNgc in the 30/30 and 17 grains behind a 173 grn gc hardcast in my 308 BLR. They generally have about 1600 fps mv each. 

FWIW my 223 and 308 were ruger #3 and #1 respectively so quite strong actions, much more so than the win 94 AE  I had in 357.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
OU812 posted this 09 February 2024

From my experience of shooting lots of 223 remington and 2400 powder was the worst. This powder is very location sensitive inside the case (wide velocity spread/vertical stringing). Titegroup works waaaaayyyy better...thus (I hate that word) titegroups.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • John Carlson
OU812 posted this 09 February 2024

My favorite 223 powder for higher velocity loads using harder bumped linotype bullets is imr 4198. My older lot of 4198 (year 1995) is different from the newer 4198. The older version groups better...looks a little different also. Both meter like crap though.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
Boschloper posted this 12 February 2024

Eutectic: How is accuracy with your 30-06 loads?  Have you pushed the velocity any higher?  Have you used heavier bullets?

Wayne

Attached Files

Close