What to do?

• Last Post 2 days ago
Pigslayer posted this 2 weeks ago

I have on hand 1000 small rifle primers (bought by accident) and nearly 1000 large rifle magnum primers. I was wondering if it would be advantagious to use them in my small pistol cartridges and large rifle cartridges. Would there be issues in doing that?

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
RicinYakima posted this 2 weeks ago

Used Federal SR primers for the last two years in my revolvers without issue, until I bought some Norma SP last winter. No knowledge with different brands of LR Magnum primers. 

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 2 weeks ago

I have used LRM primers in LR cast bullet loads. I would hesitate to use mag primers in any loads that are remotely near max with standard LR primers.  

Attached Files

Aaron posted this 2 weeks ago

I would use what was on-hand bearing in mind what Mark says above. Use what you have so long as you are barn busting. Test a few first to see if the hammer has enough "umph" to light them off.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • pat i.
Bud Hyett posted this 2 weeks ago

The Magnum cups are stronger, either in the alloy or thickness. You'll need to experiment to see if the hammer or striker will reliably set them off. . 

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

Wm Cook posted this 2 weeks ago

The Magnum cups are stronger, either in the alloy or thickness.

Isn’t the hardness of the cup the only real difference between standard primers and magnum primers?  Bill C.

A “Measured Response” is as effective as tongue lashing a stuck door.

Attached Files

Tom Acheson posted this 2 weeks ago

When I was using 300MP powder in my 38-55 Rolling Block, it was suggested (ASSRA forum) to use magnum primers with that powder. To use up the too many that I bought (R-P 9 1/2 Mag) I just use them with other powders. I wish I had some FC 210match primers to use with other powders. I do have quite a few CCI BR-2 primers.

For quite a few years I've been using FC 150M (large pistol match) primers in my Model 74 Sharps with black powder. That combination works well. And....no breech block face damage.

I was running low on small rifle match primers but a friend rescued me. The back-up,plan was to use standard small pistol primers. 

Flexability seems like a trait most of us will be employing. However, stories of people recycling spent primers is not a plan I'll be trying.

Tom

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • pat i.
Aaron posted this 2 weeks ago

Flexability seems like a trait most of us will be employing. However, stories of people recycling spent primers is not a plan I'll be trying.

Ditto.

With rifle in hand, I confidently go forth into the darkness.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
fa38 posted this 2 weeks ago

In my Smith 638 J frame 38 special the small rifle primers don't go bang. It has the original springs.  Small pistol primers always work. 

The small rifle primers work in my k frame and l frame revolvers.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • RicinYakima
Bud Hyett posted this 2 weeks ago

Flexibility seems like a trait most of us will be employing. However, stories of people recycling spent primers is not a plan I'll be trying. - Tom

I concur. Having a degree in chemistry with working in laboratories and having worked with explosives in my younger years when working construction, there is no way I would want to mix the ingredients for priming compound in a home lab setting. There are too many chances for error in the mixing, the drying, and making the pellets. Restamping fired primer cups is not advisable since the metal has already been stressed and deformed. This creates stress risers in the metal where the pressure will open the primer. Manufacture of new cups with anvils requires consistently operating machinery beyond the scope of most people.

I'd rather play Russian Roulette with a Thompson submachine gun than remanufacture primers.

Farm boy from Illinois, living in the magical Pacific Northwest

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
Buttersdad posted this 3 days ago

I di a test with some large rifle magnum primers that I had bought that were miss labeled. Since I couldn't return them, I decided to test using them in place of large rifle standard primers. 

I reduced my powder charge by 10% and loaded with the large rifle magnum primers. I did this in 5 rounds for each of my large rifle primer rifles. There were no bad results at all, no heavy recoil and no high pressure signs. Keep in mind my regular powder charges in all of my rifles is well below maximum to begin with.

Attached Files

beemer posted this 3 days ago

Like some above stated, fire a few SRP's in your pistol. My small frame revolvers will not fire them reliably so I don't use them at all if it can be helped. If that is what you have then they can be used with appropriate loads.

As far as LRM, I would use them with slightly reduced loads, might not make any difference but why take chances.  I like mag primers anyway if I am using ball powders.

Dave

Attached Files

delmarskid posted this 3 days ago

SRP’s run fine in my handguns with hammers. Double action revolvers are iffy if I’ve lightened the pull in double action. Military type SRP’s are a coin flip but seem okay in my 92 clone.

Attached Files

Rich/WIS posted this 2 days ago

Have used LR mag primers in rifle loads when using ball powders like BL-C2 and Win 748 to get reliable ignition.  Have never tried the SR versus SP swap so can't offer anything on that.

Attached Files

Close