Buffalo

• Last Post 13 November 2020
Gunslinger posted this 19 October 2020

I just bought some Buffalo powder,a shooters world powder.It'ssuppose to be similar to 5744&4759,there is little data for it.I have not tried it yet but will do so soon.Shooters world states it is good for reduced loads and cast bullets.I believe I'll start out using low end 5744 data in 30/06,308,&35 remington.Has anyone tried this powder before.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Gunslinger posted this 19 October 2020

I have a chrnograph and recorded data from the other 2 powders,so I have a base of reference for potential velocity&pressure.

Attached Files

GP Idaho posted this 19 October 2020

Gunslinger. It is my understanding that Lovex was the manufacturer of 5744 and their Buffalo Rifle powder is one and the same. Lovex has a down load PFD .I've used 5744 data with no problems. Gp

Attached Files

John Schauf posted this 19 October 2020

I have used 20 gr. 5744 in my 30-06 with a 205 grain bullet at 1605 fps.  I bought Buffalo Rifle and had to increase the charge to 22 gr. to get the same point of impact.  The load data in my Lyman 49th addition shows a beginning charge of 21 grs of "XMP" 5744 which I believe is the original formula for 5744 and matches the formula for Buffalo Rifle.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
Spindrift posted this 19 October 2020

Lovex D060 is identical to Buffalo. Here is the Lovex manual

https://explosia.cz/app/uploads/2019/07/EXPLOSIA_reloading2019_en_new.pdf

I have some limited experience with Lovex D060. It needs a bit of pressure before it burns completely. In my .30-06, 25-26 grs with a 170grs bullet (Arsenal HVTH1, which is a splendid bullet by the way) was good.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Geargnasher
David Reiss posted this 20 October 2020

I have used all the Shooters World powders and they have been very good. The Buffalo is as advertised.

David Reiss - NRA Life Member & PSC Range Member Retired Police Firearms Instructor/Armorer
-Services: Wars Fought, Uprisings Quelled, Bars Emptied, Revolutions Started, Tigers Tamed, Assassinations Plotted, Women Seduced, Governments Run, Gun Appraisals, Lost Treasure Found.
- Also deal in: Land, Banjos, Nails, Firearms, Manure, Fly Swatters, Used Cars, Whisky, Racing Forms, Rare Antiquities, Lead, Used Keyboard Keys, Good Dogs, Pith Helmets & Zulu Headdresses. .

Attached Files

shootcast posted this 26 October 2020

I was hopeful it would be a good replacement for 4759. Equal grain loads that I chronograph showed 200 FPS slower. Not to say it may not work with proper loads. Did this out of curiosity.

Attached Files

Gunslinger posted this 27 October 2020

I'm going to do a test between Buffalo,5744&4749 in my Sako 06 using Lee 165 gr tumble lube,and maybe Lee 180 gr bullets.I have a chrno and am always curious about close powders and burn rates.A moot point I guess concerning 4759,but I have 2 lbs left.

Attached Files

M1fuzz posted this 13 November 2020

Doc at the Hawkeye shoots Buffalo Rifle. Said it is like the old 5744. He likes it and does well with it.

Attached Files

Close