30-40 Krag sizing diameter

• 5.1K Views
  • Last Post 07 January 2013
Chargar posted this 28 December 2012

I spent a little time this morning going back over my loading records for the 30-40 Krag. I have been loading for this round for 50 years, so there is lots of records.

I have three military Krags, a Winchester 95, a Japchester 95 and a Krag with an 03A3 barrel set back and rechambered.

In all of the military Krags, best accuracy in every one was with bullets that are .314 is size. Barrel groove diamters doesn't seem to matter as they are .308, .3195 and .312. The ages are 1895, 1899 and 1901 of these Krag rifles. Logic would tell us these military Krags have fat throats like prefer big bullets.

I don't push these old brittle metal rifles hard with 16/2400 being the most used powder charge. I have used lots of different bullets, but my fat 30 molds that throw bullets .314 - .315 is a Lyman 311291 and a Lee 311407 Modified. They both do very well.

I have a record of every round loaded and fired since 1958 and that is allot of paper! Sometimes, just going back and reading proves to be helpful thing.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Ed Harris posted this 29 December 2012

It would be really wonderful if you would glean the best lessons learned from your notebooks and compile an article for The Fouling Shot. It should be pure gold!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 30 December 2012

charger, are you asking for others results or are you just saying that you have a welth of info on the 30/40. if thats the case i would also like to hear about it as well as the grouping for your most sucessful loads and the distance shot. 200 yard results would be of most interest.

frank

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 30 December 2012

No, not asking for others results. Just passing on what I have learned over the years.

16 to 18 grains of 2400 with a bullet of your choice will group well at 200 yards. If you really want to reach out there (300 - 600 yards) 50 grains of WC872 will give velocity pretty much the same as the old 200 grain military load. Of course at that distance, bullet shape, length (weight) become important.

Krags are fun old rifles, but a run-of-the-mill 03/03A3 will outshoot a run-of-the-mill Krag by a good margin. The Krag gets the nod for slick action, but the 03/03A3 is much stronger and more accurate in most cases.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 30 December 2012

Agree with all the above.

I also had good luck with about 40-43 grs. of H414 or W760 with WLR primers in either the Krag and .303 British with #311299 or #314299 as needed to fit the particular rifle. Or 50 grs. in the '06...

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 30 December 2012

In the for whatever it is worth department on Krag bullet sizing diameters, I have two Ideal No. 3 tong tools with the bullet sizing holes in them. One is an older Marlin tool and the other is an Ideal New Haven tool. Both tools size bullets .312.

I have no idea what that factoid is worth, but there it is. You might win a gun trivia round with that bit of information.

When it comes to primers, I use Remington 9.5 for all my Krag loads. No particular reason, but I “think” if is easier to find a good shooting load with those primers. No impirical evidence to back that up and I am probably a little deluded on the issue at hand.

I bought 64 pounds of WC772 back when it was dirt cheap, well cheap anyway and it have proven to be a pretty good cast bullet powder with a couple of quirks.

1. Don't use in any case with less than 40 grains capacity, it won't burn well.

2. Trickle or settle the powder in the case and have the bullet give light compression on the powder charge.

3. If you don't use enough powder for the bullet to give light compression, top the powder with a little shotshell buffer until it does.

In the 30-06 round, a charge of 50/WC872 with .5 to .75 CC of PSB (buffer), depending on bullet weight, will shoot amazing groups, with any decent bullet. You can quickly tell which bullet your rifle likes with this load. It is sort of my “proof load". Not proof in terms of pressure, but proof in terms of bullet performance.

50/WC872 (without any buffer) also does very well as a cast bullet power in the 308 Win./7.62 round.

In the 30-40, .308/7.62 and 30-06 rounds 50/WC872 will give a velocity of 1.8K to 2K fps depending on bullet weight, rifle barrel length and all of that stuff. I am talking 160 to 220 grains weight bullets.

This powder burns a long way down the barrel, so be careful about picking the rifle up by the barrel after a few rounds, it is HOT. Pretty common to leave some unburned powder, but who cares if the groups are small.

I have had super good luck with the long Loverin 311467 bullet with one proviso. I size the top two bands 300 - 301 to ride the lands. This makes a huge difference in both the performance and seating depth of this bullet. This bullet has worked well for me in both the Krag and 30-06 rounds when everything else is put together right.

Have I mentioned, I like US 30 caliber military rounds and rifles? Krags, 03s, 03A3s, 1917s and Garands tend to accumulate around my house. I would not swap a good example of any of them for the fanciest bug hole bench rest rifle out there.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 05 January 2013

It's off topic but, I have a related question to ask of Charger, Ed or anyone else.

My 1898, Redfield sighted, 26” barreled rifle has a change of POI of about 3” when I go from cast to 150 gr jacketed.

My cast load is 190 gr bore rider, 18.5 gr 4759 and my 150 FB jacketed is 42 gr 3031 (top end I know)is the increased RPM doing it?

Frank

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 06 January 2013

IMHO, it is metal flexing in the stock. It is not tied down very well, and without a barrel band, they wiggle like snakes when you light the fire. My fake carbine did the same thing until I got a rifle barrel band and a shim of leather between it and the barrel. Clamped it snug, and it setteled down nicely. And that was only with 200 grain lead bullets and 150 grain lead bullets, both at 1600 f/s. Ric

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 06 January 2013

frnkeore wrote: It's off topic but, I have a related question to ask of Charger, Ed or anyone else.

My 1898, Redfield sighted, 26” barreled rifle has a change of POI of about 3” when I go from cast to 150 gr jacketed.

My cast load is 190 gr bore rider, 18.5 gr 4759 and my 150 FB jacketed is 42 gr 3031 (top end I know)is the increased RPM doing it?

Frank

You don't mention the range at which you had this 3” variance in POI. At 100 yards, I would not consider that to be anything strange considering the difference in bullet weight and velocity.

The Krag rifle, due to it design with both action screws being held in the trigger guard, can give accuracy problems if the not held down by a barrel band or some kind of retaining divice. On my built up Krag, I drill and tapped the front receiver ring for another screw and inlet an eschutcheon into the wood to hold it. Seems to work fine.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 06 January 2013

This is the rifle, I have not bedded it.

The range that I was talking about is 100 yds. i don't record anything under that range.

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 06 January 2013

This is my other 30/40.

Attached Files

Chargar posted this 07 January 2013

It has been so long (over 40 years) since I fired a jacketed bullet load in one of my Krags, that I don't remember the POI varience, but I don't think you have an issue. I would not worry about it. Nice rifles by the way...

Attached Files

frnkeore posted this 07 January 2013

thank you.

Frank

Attached Files

Close