Wheel Weights Cost

• 4.8K Views
  • Last Post 07 November 2011
6pt-sika posted this 04 April 2011

"If” anyone is finding wheelweights for sale what is the going rate for raw unsmelted ones ?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
hunterspistol posted this 04 April 2011

:coffee  If you do have to buy them, anywhere from .40/lb to $1.00/lb is acceptable.  You can find ingots for sale on Cast Boolits and vendor/sponsors that sell isotope cores. 

I've found some cheap and some alloy is up to $2.00/lb now! I do end up paying for lead though.

Ron

Attached Files

Yes I was thinking maybe $1.00 a pound !

Attached Files

I sure wish I had gotten all the free ones I was offered 10 years ago :(

Attached Files

cbshtr posted this 05 April 2011

Our local scrap yard won't even sell you ww's. They say they aren't allowed. They also work behind glass and bars. I used to work at a tire store but the owner exchanged ww's for credit for batteries so I couldn't get any there until he sold the place and I could take what was laying around. You might be able to find a local gas station willing to sell them for a fair price especially if you make an offer up front. Years ago when I had plenty of time on my hands I would collect the slugs from the 25 yard range. I would separate the jacketed from the non jacketed assuming the lead in the jacketed would be softer. I would use the jacketed for muzzleloader bullets and would mix 50/50 ww's and non jacketed for my centerfire use. I never knew what the composition was but when I melted the bullets down I would get about 65 lb so I would have about 130 lbs of a somewhat consistent alloy. They were heat treatable and good for at least 2000 fps. When I make my ingots I mark them “ww, non jack, or jack” and date them. That way I know what I am working with when I start casting.

Robert Homan

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 07 April 2011

I got maybe two tons of WW's from a tire dealer friend about 10 years ago and the last few days I've been melting down the last pile I had !

I still have a large enough supply to last me maybe 10 years but it sure would be nice to supplement it with another ton or so .>

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 07 April 2011

The last lot I bought direct from the tyre shop were USD0.51lb. Scrap prices are going nuts here now. Dealers PAYING USD1.00lb. I just secured a deal on 650lb of alloy (lead, lino, WW, solder) for USD0.35 so I am well pleased.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

TRKakaCatWhisperer posted this 07 April 2011

Keep looking - once in a while you'll find a 5gal bucked for $20, or a fellow who is an electrician and get pure lead for under a buck a pound - in ingots.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 08 April 2011

Yeah every now and then a 5 gallon bucket will surface someone had hid in their garage from when they used to cast wadcutters in their younger days !

I would prefer to get a big load all at once and be done with it .

Attached Files

I'm a little curiouse as to what the likelyhood is of getting old wheelweights in the Philippines !

I'm kinda thinking about getting another 444 to take there with me once my filipina wife and I get a house there for vacation purposes . It would be easy enough to cart a couple molds along each time I fly over . And I could ship myself a Lee 10 pound bottom pour and a old Lyman 45 !

No hunting for anything 444 size over there but I certainly could shoot paper !

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 08 April 2011

In the state of washington they just changed to non lead wheel weights, so you cant even go out at night and remove the weights from all the cars in the mall parking lot anymore. argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

I seem to remmember someone actually selling new alloy that was called “wheelweight” .

A ton here and maybe a 200 pounds in PI and I'd be set for a good while !

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 08 April 2011

i am lucky i have a couple tons of wheel weights and 250lb. of lino. not much more than 500lb of soft lead. my goal is to live long enough to shoot it all up. and be healthy enough to shoot the last shot at somewhere over 100 yrs old. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 10 April 2011

Well I am not in bad shape here in Virginia !

And I asked my GF/Finacee/Wife to see if she could find out if I can buy scrap wheelweights in the Philippines . I am thinking 100 kilos (220 pounds) over there would last me several years !

I can't decide now whether to take a nice old Marlin 444 over there or just take a Encore or H&R Handi Rifle with a 444 barrel !

If I loose or it's stolen the two singles mentioned won't bother me so much !

But if I lost one of my children (the 444 Marlin's) I would be more then a little upset :X

Attached Files

pixx posted this 10 April 2011

I have a deal with some of the local tire shops and I get a 5gal bucket full (about 150-200lbs) for $10.00. The deal is that I show up at least every two weeks or they sell them to someone else. You wanna cast boolits with ww's, then get friendly with your local tire shops. Forget WalMart, they sell them to battery companies for battery plates. I have about 500lbs stored and next week will add to it. Store, store, store because like in Washington, they ain't gonna be around for long!

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 15 April 2011

I am getting some strange comments from my wife in the Philippines !

I had earlier asked her to see if she could get any old wheelweights from scrap yards in her city !

I would not be surprised if she hasn't sent her 16 year old nephew out looking for them for me and possibly even gotten me 50-100 pounds for my use when I come for visits !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 April 2011

Well I sent $ over the other day to my wife . She has found me about 150 kilo's which equates into 330 pounds and I think the whole pile is gonna cost me about $75 .

That should be plenty to keep me satisfied over there for a number of years !

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 20 April 2011

Now I need to start thinking about sending a Lee pot and a few other things over to her via UPS International .>

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 21 April 2011

330# for $75, not bad.

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 21 April 2011

hunterspistol wrote: 330# for $75, not bad. Thats 3,300 Philippine Peso's which is a little over two weeks salary for most of those people that have jobs !

Attached Files

chajohnson posted this 13 July 2011

In order to give this thread an update, I will report that I checked with a salvage yard the other day in west Texas and was quoted $0.90/lb. for a bucket of clip on wheel weights. Got some free an a tire store instead. Did note that about 1/3 of the weights were steel or zinc, so you're not getting a whole lot of lead.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close