Looking for a Lyman mould

• 3.5K Views
  • Last Post 16 July 2008
Chip posted this 04 January 2007

I am looking for an older Lyman mould #311291 that will throw a 190 grain bullet. Need this too load up some 303 Savage ammo.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
shooter44 posted this 06 May 2007

I have a 311299 if you interested

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 29 June 2007

How about the 314299?

Attached Files

WILDCATT posted this 02 July 2007

lee has a double cavity+#90371 at $17.37 from midsouthshooter.com has handles built on. get cat on line

Attached Files

jerryb posted this 07 July 2008

I have a couple of 311291 moulds, but they throw a 170gr +- bullet.  never heard of an unaltered 291 that casts out at 190gr.

Jerryb

Attached Files

jhalcott posted this 07 July 2008

http://www.castpics.net/molds/Lyman_moulds.htm>http://www.castpics.net/molds/Lymanmoulds.htm  Here is a list of old Lyman molds. Are you SURE of the ,old number? as was said , the 311291 is a 170 grainer.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 08 July 2008

Chip wrote: I am looking for an older Lyman mould #311291 that will throw a 190 grain bullet. Need this too load up some 303 Savage ammo.

The 311290 is well over 200 is this the mold you are looking for??It would be long for the magazine spool  though.The RCBS 180FN's seem to run over 180 (mine is 185 out of lino/ww mix) and it would fill the ticket well enough in your 303 Model 99.

The suggested Lee mold from WILDCATT is a pretty good one as well.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 11 July 2008

MY rcbs 180FN   casts at 195 using WWs + 50-50 Bar solder to add a bit of tin and lead. Been shotting that out of one Win 30-30 and Win 95 in 30-40  for three yearts now with great satisfaction . OH thats wth lube and gas check .

Should be ideal for the Savage    I also bought the identical mould  in RN  to try that since the fn shot so well   Have not tried it yet  but figured i'd mention it in case you were looking for a rn   instead of flat nose.  same bullet just different nose.  

Attached Files

linoww posted this 14 July 2008

Bluehawk wrote: I also bought the identical mould  in RN  to try that since the fn shot so well   Have not tried it yet  but figured i'd mention it in case you were looking for a rn   instead of flat nose.  same bullet just different nose.  

Was the RN an RCBS? I haven't seen this one.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 15 July 2008

yes it was RCBS  actually  i ordered it by accident   thinkng i was ordering another flat nose     it came in and at first i was dissapointed . then figured hmmmm    might just work well in the  30-40    I then did not use it cause dummy me i accidently ruined the sprue cutter plate on the flat nose mold  did not have the adjsutment  set screw  set correctly and is seized and i broke it off and screwed up the plate   theni figured hmmmsame mold just a rn the plate and set screw could be   jsut switched and id be back in business   .  woRked  fine  now I have to remember to oirder another replacement for the originalo and have them both working again

Ill look up the numbers and see what it is and re post it tomorrow 

Dan 

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 July 2008

Have you contacted RCBS about replacement parts?

They generally will send you parts at no cost even if you caused the failure.

Attached Files

Bluehawk posted this 16 July 2008

NO I have not     YET   I will.   

JUst one of those things that  i have not got around to yet due to the otherthings going on and since I have the one I really use   up and running Its not on my mind.

Got a new ranch dog mold  a week or so ago and im working with that

The RCBS mold im talkng about turns out to be  the  180 SEMI POINT   not a RN   I had only cast a few dozen when I first got it  and they looked like rns to me at the time its been over a year.  I REALLY want to  shoot some of them again . I had loaded a few up  ( maybe  15 or so ) and shot them with some Varget in the 30-40 and was  happy with the preliminary results .

So sorry to get your hopes up that they had a  RN that was out there.  it is  closer to a Rn IMHO than a  spire or semi spire cut off .    I need to get off my butt and  get to RCBS and get the replacement parts and get those molds into work again   I did look into it once and dont remember why I didnt order them then . Problay the same reason I wont tomorrow    I am currently waiting for the  MIdway order to get here and then when it does I have to break the news to the wife that there will be a  96 dollar bill on the next  credit card  bill.

Next over time I get ill order the parts

Attached Files

Close