Ideal angle for revolver forcing cone

• 2.6K Views
  • Last Post 23 September 2010
GBertolet posted this 28 June 2010

What is the ideal forcing cone angle for cast bullets in a S&W 25-2? I just had a new barrel installed. The gunsmith had to shave some off the rear of the barrel to get the proper cylinder gap.There isn't much bevel left, and it spits a little bit now. Brownell's has a bunch of forcing cone reamers. What angle is best?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
frank l jr posted this 29 June 2010

hey  mr G B , i,ve always hade good resulets with a very shallow  cone angle with the brownell reamers. seems the smaller angles do a better job of gently reducing the bullet down to the bore dia. and not slaming it into a very steep. works for me.

see ya

frank l jr

Attached Files

frank l jr posted this 29 June 2010

i,m just a bit comcerned about your gunsmith, one would think he would be able to correct this and then maybee not. frank l jr

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 29 June 2010

I've read that revolver shooters have gone to an 11° angle but, that's just something I saw once.  They do claim it's an improvement.

Hope that helps,

Ron

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 29 June 2010

That's what I had my .41 reamed to, at the suggestion of my local gunsmith (20 years ago). That's before I found out from the good folks here that the primary problem was the cylinder throats. It did help some, as, from Ruger, the forcing cone had some tooling marks that couldn't have been helping the issue.

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 29 June 2010

Thanks all, 11 degrees it shall be!

Attached Files

canalupo posted this 29 June 2010

G

Hate to throw a wrench into the works but the latest and greatest swear by a 18 degree cone.

Bob d

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 29 June 2010

Just to throw a dead fly into the soup, the angle is less of an issue than size. I get better accuracy with the large, rear, of the forcing cone as small as possible. I try to cut mine only .001” larger than the cylinder throat plus any radial slop rotation from the locking lug. FWIW, Ric

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 12 July 2010

RicinYakima wrote: Just to throw a dead fly into the soup, the angle is less of an issue than size. I get better accuracy with the large, rear, of the forcing cone as small as possible. I try to cut mine only .001” larger than the cylinder throat plus any radial slop rotation from the locking lug. FWIW, Ric   Now that makes more sense than anything, keep it as tight as you dare, bullet fit is everything .

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 15 July 2010

As long as the major diameter of the cone is not too large, the cone is aligned and concentric to the bore and the surface finish good, the angle doesn't matter. An 11 degree reamer will usually clean up tool marks without having to set back a barrel with existing 18 degree cone which is why gunsmiths like the 11 degree. Jim Clark and Bob Collins used to use 6 degree cones on their .38 Special PPC guns and Ruger has also used this on the SP101.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

John Boy posted this 15 July 2010

Hate to throw a wrench into the works but the latest and greatest swear by a 18 degree cone.

An 18 degree reamer is for jacket bullets and an 11 degree is for lead bullets

Attached Files

Changeling posted this 16 July 2010

John Boy wrote: Hate to throw a wrench into the works but the latest and greatest swear by a 18 degree cone.

An 18 degree reamer is for jacket bullets and an 11 degree is for lead bullets

I'm interested in who the “Latest and Greatest are"?

Attached Files

GBertolet posted this 23 September 2010

I finally broke down and took the gun to the gunsmith. At over $100 for the tooling to cut the forcing cone, I deceided it just wasn't worth it. What finally got me motivated, was that I did some serious shooting from my Ransom rest. No SWC bullet would group worth a crap. 3 to 4 inches at 25 yds was common. Truncated bullets shot a little better, 2-3 inches. I used Bullseye, 231 and Clays powder for testing, and the Lyman 452460, 452389 as my SWC bullets, and the SAECO 67 as my truncated bullet. The gun spit considerably when fired. I felt the shoulder of the SWC bullets coming out of the .455+ cylinder throats, was cocking slightly going into the cylinder throats causing degraded accuracy with the spitting, while the truncated bullet as it had no shoulder to catch on, it made the transition more smoothly, with less negative effect. The gunsmith measured the forcing cone with his plug gauge and found it was badly out of spec, without hardly any taper. He cut it while I waited, with a 11 degree cutter, and removed a good bit of metal. He only charged me $16 for the job. Next time I shoot it I will give a report.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 23 September 2010

:coffee  I'd be interested in seeing that report.  I have a stock Ruger 41 that has the cylinder done.  I have not had too many issues with it in lead bullets, just having fun shooting it.

Ron

Attached Files

Close