#9 lead shot loads/technique for 45Colt Revolver

• 2.2K Views
  • Last Post 10 July 2010
jwiota posted this 22 May 2010

Does anyone have references re: loading 45 Colt Revolver with lead shot?  Specific to type of powder, wt. of shot etc.  I am assuming that most popular powders for 45 colt would suffice, so long as the shot load for standard length shells would be less than solid lead projectiles.  Rather than starting from scratch, would appreciate any advise from those who have done this.    The gun to be used is S&W Custom shop N frame (unfortunately it came from S&W with ported barrel).  Sincerely, J. Wiota

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 22 May 2010

My choice for snake loads in .38/.357, .44 Special/Magnum, and .45 Colt is to use Speer shot capsules and as fine a shot as I can find (#12 is best with #9 trailing but usable).

Speer has full loading information on these calibers in their reloading manual. HOWEVER, they do NOT recommend shot capsules with ported barrels.

For the NON-PORTED barrels, you can use most any of the fast burning powders like Bullseye, Titegroup, 231, or Unique.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

jwiota posted this 23 May 2010

Dale,  I did a test several years ago with the 38/357 Speer factory loads with capsuled lead shot while in rattlesnake country in central Oregon.

A card board box, at six or seven feet from muzzle, the lead shot did not penetrate through to the second ply of the cardboard, only the plastic cup penetrated one side of the cardboard and was laying inside the box.   The pattern was extremely sparse, and doubt if more than one or two pellets would have hit the head of a snake...... I decided that an accurate 2.8 grains of B. Eye with wad cutter would be better snake medicine. This was in .38 S&W with 3inch barrel.  

Thinking that I could load up a lot more shot in a 45 colt, gave me reason to want to try that --- also, such a load  could serve as close in sitting ruff grouse or cottontail load.  I have not tried any of the Speer factory loads, other than the 38/357, so maybe if the 45s are available, the pattern density would be greater?  Sincere thanks for your reply.  Jim

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 24 May 2010

I really cannot tell you what size shot factory shot loads have. I have tried most of the common sizes. The finer the shot the denser the pattern. That's why I like #12. However, you have to order #12 from Ballistic products and it is EXPENSIVE. On the other hand, you don't need many shot shells.

The ideal is to have a buddy share the expense and split the cost.

9 works pretty well and I have used it successfully in .38/.357, .44 Special, and .45 Colt. Speer makes shot capsules in all of the above. They are easy to load, if you have normal dies for the caliber. The shot capsules will hold considerably more shot than you can load in the shell alone and they do NOT lead your barrel.

You might want to load your own in .38 caliber (using the Speer capsules) with fine shot. I have had excellent results with them. I have even killed small game at up to 20-30 feet or so with dispatch.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

jwiota posted this 24 May 2010

Dale,  Thanks for the reply --- in re-reading my previous message, I mentioned using the speer factory loads, which really were the CCI brand (now same company) with Blazer type aluminum cased with the plastic shot capsules.   I will take your advise and order some of the capsules and try loading with them.  Sincerely, Jim Wiota

Attached Files

Dew posted this 01 June 2010

I also have used the #12 shot in the capsules for the .45 Colt... plus the other calibers that the capsules are made for. Before I went to the capsules I did the various things such as gas checks and cardboard plugs. The key is to use the #12 shot. All of the various shotshells I've made will work much better than the #9 shot. About 10 to 12 feet is about the limit of pattern that will do any good.

But, inside of that distance it is one dead snake. I carry a couple of shot loads first up in my revolvers and then it is easy to simply rotate them past firing when needed.

Attached Files

Steve E posted this 03 June 2010

I use a gas check loaded with the cup up and put in the shot then put a gas check cup down over the top of the shot and give it a slight crimp to hold it all in. Unfortunetly I can't find any of my load data at this time to give you the powder load. I know it was a lighter load than with regular bullets and the bottom gas check was seated down almost on the powder. They worked very well and provided good coverage out of my non ported Blackhawk. Sorry but that is all I can remember without my data.

Steve E.........

Attached Files

Steve E posted this 03 June 2010

I use a gas check loaded with the cup up and put in the shot then put a gas check cup down over the top of the shot and give it a slight crimp to hold it all in. Unfortunetly I can't find any of my load data at this time to give you the powder load. I know it was a lighter load than with regular bullets and the bottom gas check was seated down almost on the powder. They worked very well and provided good coverage out of my non ported Blackhawk. Sorry but that is all I can remember without my data.

Steve E.........

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 04 June 2010

when fishing, i always carry my 45 cal derringer in my fly fishing vest loaded with 30gr FFG and same volume of #4 shot with wonder wads. works very well in the 3-7yd range with good penetration of a soda can at that distance. makes a nice snake load for the 2 legged variety also.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 09 June 2010

Improvised shot cartridges can be assembled with a standard charge of fast-burning pistol powder, such as Bullseye, appropriate for a normal lead bullet load.

In the .45 Colt I would buy Walters wads from Midway as they seal better than a gascheck. Place a 1/16” card over the powder, then a lubricated Ox Yoke Originals wad same as used for cap & ball revolvers over that.  The lubricated wad will reduce leading. Fill the case to about 1/16 inch below the mouth with No.9 shot and crimp another Walters card wad over that. You could use gaschecks, but they are more expensive than the card wads, the bore will lead more and patterns are less effective.

These improvised shot loads kill snakes and rodents IF range is less than 10 feet. Loading shot larger than No. 9 defeats the purpose, as it reduces the pellet count is needed for adequate patterns.

In the .45 Colt use 6 grains of Bullseye.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

jwiota posted this 09 June 2010

Ed, Thank you.  This sounds like a very sensible loading plan, without a lot of hassles or expense.   Sincerely, Plinker Jim

Attached Files

WadePatton posted this 10 July 2010

out there on the interweb somewhere is a great “how-to” for roll-your-own shotshells for revolvers.

i was hard to find last time i went digging for it...

but here's the gist of what the guy was doing: he used styro-type (take-out food boxes) material for over/under cards, filled the case then elmer's glued the top card. he adjusted a very light, fast powder to give penetration through a couple of aluminum cans.

then he shot carpenter bees on the fly.

iirc he also enlarged the flash holes to keep primer “push out” from binding up the cylinder.

with those details you'll know if you find the same article. it's dated.

the only “major” expense is the bag of ultra-fine shot. split a bag of that with three or four guys and bees, snakes, scorpions, horseflys, be forewarned.

i'll do it when i get around to acquiring the shot.

Attached Files

Close