What sizing die should I use for 45 ACP?

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 20 July 2010
kolar55 posted this 23 March 2010

Hi all. This probably has been discussed before. I did a search and really couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I poured a chamber cast and muzzle cast with Cerrosafe in my Gold cup .45ACP and both measure about .4505. I will be shootng the 452460 SWC. Should I get a .451 sizer or .452? Thanks Lonnie

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 23 March 2010

I size mine at .452 and that is about what the bores on all three of my 45's measure.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 March 2010

If a fired case, un-resized, will accept a 0.452” bullet, that is what I would use. This seems to help center the case in GC's with their tighter chambers, and doesn't effect feeding. HTH, Ric

Attached Files

kolar55 posted this 23 March 2010

OK thanks. I guess I never would have thought to use that method but it makes sense I guess. I just re-miked the cerrosafe caasting and both are right at .453. I've noticed this before that that stuff seems to expand a lot a few days after casting. When I miked them the first time it was right after they cooled enough to touch. So the original dimension of .4505 was probably about a half thou. smaller than actual. I'm not sure I am all that impressed with Cerrosafe for this. I think I will just get the .452 and be done with it. A bit large is better than a bit small.

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 March 2010

Cerrosafe has has its limitations, and time from casting to measurement is one of them. Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 23 March 2010

My understanding is you measure it about 45 min. after the cast for most accurate number. Must have read it somewhere, (or dreamed it?). Anyway, I size my 452460s to .452 also.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 31 March 2010

I have three 1911 platforms (two “built up” full size .45's and a Kimber Ultra CDP II with 3” barrel) and two 625 .45 ACP's as well as a Ruger SS Bisley Convertible. They ALL respond VERY well to .452” sized bullets. I have loaded well over 100,000 rounds in .45 ACP and they have ALL been sized at .452". My .45's (except the 3” Kimber) shoot under 2” at fifty yards. The 3” Kimber is not quite that good but it does extremely well for a pocket pistol (under 2” at 25 yards).

My favorite bullet for the .45 ACP has to be the MiHec H&G #68 Clone mould. With that wonderful six cavity mould I can run 20lbs+ of finished bullets in a hour of casting time. That amounts to about 700 bullets. I'm not apt to run out...

I'm so confident in that size that when I recently got a Ruger Convertible SA, it wouldn't chamber a .452” bullet in a loaded round. Rather than changing my sizing die, I reamed the cylinder to fit (it was undersize and needed reamed).

YMMV Dale53

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 31 March 2010

I am very happy with Dale's recipes,on sizing and reaming cylinders.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 21 April 2010

I have always used a 0.452” sizer for 45 ACP.

Attached Files

TonyT posted this 18 July 2010

I have always used a 0.452” sizer in my Star for all 45 ACP bullets.

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 20 July 2010

To day, weather being too hot,I am more mean and wicked then  usual.

Do not assume that a 452 marked is 452 or gives you 452 bullets.

I used for years a Lyman 311 die,and when I measured the bullets sized in it they were 312,using a quality Borletti micrometer,not a Chinese cheap tool.

My old US GI  .30 caliber barrels  love this 312 diameter bullets.

Never assume anything,measure everything tvice.

And most surely a nice charge of fast powder will take care of plus or minus .001 in your bullets.

My 45 ACP barrels,US made ,Chinese and Italian swallow ,cycle and shoot well all diametrs bullet ,from 451 to 455.

While two Armando Piscetta 45HP,want 451 bullers or Lee factory crimp die.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 20 July 2010

kolar55 wrote: Hi all. This probably has been discussed before. I did a search and really couldn't find the answer I was looking for. I poured a chamber cast and muzzle cast with Cerrosafe in my Gold cup .45ACP and both measure about .4505. I will be shootng the 452460 SWC. Should I get a .451 sizer or .452? Thanks Lonnie

Correct sizing diameter for an M1911 pistol is 0.0005” under chamber throat size.

Chamber body diameters of military pistols are large enough to accept .454 or .455 diameter bullets without having to use the Lee Factory Crimp die to profile the case body after bullet seating. In new after-market match barrels with short throats accompanied by an abrupt origin of rifling, seating depth and overall cartridge length must be carefully adjusted to prevent the ogive of the bullet from impinging against the angle of the forcing cone.  In match guns it is common to control headspace of loaded rounds by regulating exposure of the front driving band so that it just barely makes contact with the origin of rifling.  This must be done carefully without causing any resistance to chambering or extraction.  Getting reliable function requires brushing the chamber as needed and 100% check of rounds in a drop gage.  

The easiest solution is not to worry about as-cast bullet diameter. Instead adjust bullet seating and crimping so that rounds fall completely into the chamber of the barrel removed from the gun, of their own weight.  Visually confirm correct headspace by holding a steel scale across the case head to observe that the cartridge head neither protrudes above, nor falls below the face of the barrel hood.  Some people do a simple fingertip check.

After-market match barrels of minimum dimensions are more prone to functioning problems caused by variations in case body wall thickness and mismatch of bullet diameter.  Use a Lee Factory Crimp die to full length loaded rounds so that they enter the chamber fully without resistance.  On test dummies mark the exposed front driving band or ogive of the bullet. Adjust seating depth and cartridge OAL by trial and error by hand functioning inert DUMMY rounds to be sure that rounds feed, chamber and extract freely with only minimal visual marking of the bullet. 

If loading ammunition for several guns, tailor the ammo for the tightest chamber with the newest barrel and moderately soft alloy such as wheelweights will work fine with any bullet which fits from 200-230 grains using normal wadcutter changes in the range of 4.5 grs. of Bullseye or 700-X, or 5 grs. of W231.     

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Close