APERTURE SIGHTS

• 2.3K Views
  • Last Post 24 March 2010
CANADIAN BACON posted this 22 March 2010

HOWDY:D I like to shoot offhand. Most of the time I use a aperture rear and a post front sight. That is all the local clubs will allow in military style matches. I installed a double aperture/globe sight on one of my rifles. From the bench it shoots 1 inch at 100. I have a 10 inch gong that I can hit regular with a scope but I have trouble with the double aperture sight. I recon I may be a little to close to the rear sight and not centering the two holes. Are there any tricks some of you/all can share about the successful use of this set up.  I can figure this out in time but a little help from those who know would be nice.

:dude:

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JetMech posted this 22 March 2010

To me, the key is the front insert. When you sight the target, you should see light all the way around the target. If not, the front apeture is too small. HTH.

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 22 March 2010

I like to do the same but I have found that when using the front aperture that I spend too much time trying to center up perfectly the target in the front aperture while shooting offhand. Now off a rest the double aperture works great but not offhand for me. I have gone back to the simple post for the offhand shooting. Maybe if you go to a large enough front aperture it would help you, I tried that and eventually went back to the post for offhand. Good Luck!

Attached Files

THANKS Guys:D

I guess I'll just have to invest in a set of rear and front inserts. I have a Central on the rear and P/H on the front. I know there is a certain distance one should keep their eye from the rear sight but I can't remember what it is. Iam thinking the holes are to big or they are not the same size. Should the front and rear be the same?  Looking forward to the nationals in June:cool: THANKS AGAIN:)

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 22 March 2010

Find an eye MD that is shooters friendly in that he will allow you to bring your rifle into his office.

If you are 40+ and wear glasses a shooting Loop will aide in seeing the front sight over what the rear appature  does.

Attached Files

Wayne S posted this 22 March 2010

Find an eye MD that is shooters friendly in that he will allow you to bring your rifle into his office.

If you are 40+ and wear glasses a shooting Loop will aide in seeing the front sight over what the rear appature  does.

Attached Files

grouch posted this 22 March 2010

Sounds to me like your back aperature is too small. You should see about 5” on each side of the 10” gong, which looks awful big - but it's clear enough that you can react to your changing sight picture. Grouch

Attached Files

grouch posted this 22 March 2010

Make that your front aperature probably too small Grouch

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 22 March 2010

grouch wrote: Sounds to me like your back aperature is too small. You should see about 5” on each side of the 10” gong, which looks awful big - but it's clear enough that you can react to your changing sight picture. GrouchMake that your front aperature probably too small Grouch Or both! I was thinking that might be my problem, that the rear is too small also. That, and Wayne's suggestion to see the optomotrist. It's kind of like my pilots. Some are 60+ and need bifocals that focus, on the low side, at 24” or so to read the instrument panel. It's different than what people normally need, but the Doc can fix you up.

Attached Files

Thanks for the reply:D I have already gone to the optometrist with a old air pistol. We came up with a pair of shooting glasses for service pistol. I can see the holes fine along with the target but some where I run into a parallax problem. I think I'll install a front post and leave it at that. Iam getting too far ahead of myself trying to shoot three different styles and different sight patterns. Thanks for the advise. I'll try different sizes front and back along with a post. Maybe I'll get it figured by June:D Thanks Again

Attached Files

72coupe posted this 22 March 2010

Try keeping your eye 2 to 3 inches behind the rear sight. Also try keeping the flat side of your cheek flat against the stock so that you are looking straight out of your eye and not across the bridge of your nose.

The size of the hole in your rear sight should vary with the amount of light available. Lot of light small hole, little light larger hole. I never use a hole smaller than 0.40 but I shoot outdoors in Texas where there is usually a lot of light.

I read the other day that turning your toes in slightly after you have assumed you offhand position will stabillize you somewhat. I tried this at the range Sunday and it did help. 

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 23 March 2010

Ajustable rear aperature, fiber optic bead front sight and 6 oclock hold.

mrbill2

Attached Files

CANADIAN BACON posted this 24 March 2010

HOWDY:D Good points guys. I'll install the adjustable rear and Iam going to try a lace-on GI cheek rest. Shooting this gun off the bench goes pretty good but everything falls apart, after I hoist it onto my shoulder:) However things are slowly coming together thanks to all the good advise.:cool: Thanks Again:D

Attached Files

nimrod posted this 24 March 2010

Nothing beats PRACTICE! and PRACTICE and more PRACTICE!

Attached Files

Close