41 Mag Ruger

• 6.3K Views
  • Last Post 10 October 2010
hunterspistol posted this 30 December 2009

Well, I ordered a New Model Blackhawk today. I'd like to know what everybody thinks of this transgression.  Is the Blackhawk capable of handling 41 Magnum with a 1 in 20” twist?  Of course, I'll be loading for it, that will be adjustable.  The barrel length I chose was 6&1/2", just liked the long range look.  How do I get the most from this caliber?  Surely, you gents have shot this more than I have and will know.  I appreciate any input and tips.

Seems I jumped into revolver territory now.

Ron

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
tturner53 posted this 31 December 2009

Never did have a .41 Mag., but I believe when you get one you kinda become sophisticated and such, a conisuers gun. I do have a .41 AE I really like, sort of a .41 Special short. I'll send you some Lee 195 gr pbs,if you like. I just got a mold from Shastaboats. Can't go wrong with any Blackhawk. Congratulations.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 December 2009

A subject near and dear to my heart! I bought a used RBH in .41 with a 4 5/8” barrel back in the late 70's. I've had limited success, mainly due to my limited knowledge. Since joining the CBA, I've learned about stuff like measuring throats. My barrel slugs at .410, cylinders @ .4105, bullets at .411. The only sizing die available is .410. That, and the only mold I had is a Lyman 410459. 6gr WW231 has been my target load all this time, and it shoots well. Full power loads are 20-21gr H110, but accuracy runs about 5” @25 yds. Our most gracious friend in Italy, Giorgio, has kindly sent me 2 RCBS molds, one PB and the other GC. I'm currently searching for someone to open up the throats to .411 and openning up the sizing die to match. Since just becoming active (which means casting and shooting more than 100 rounds a year), I'm interested in trying some of the heavy weight bullets Veral offers. That 265 WFN looks like a great one to me.

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 31 December 2009

Like an Idiot I have had and let two of these go. The .41 is the mostly nearly perfect revolver cartridge IMO. All guns chambered for this round are accurate, strong and have no issues such as old guns that will take the round. This is an accurate and easy cartridge to reload. Granted brass and bullets are sometimes hard to find. The cast bullet shooter can really make this a flexible round. Cowboy action to polar bear loads. This round is never a mistake.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 01 January 2010

Thanks guys, I'm still impatiently biting my lip. I just can't wait.  I thought I might double up on it like the 9mm, using a TC barrel to test loads.  The 41 Magnum has a solid reputation in silhouette shooting and hunting both. This is going to be fun.

Tim, if I get sophisticated, does that mean I have to scape the mud off my boots before I get back in the pickup?  .>

Rest assured, there is more to come on this one.

Ron

Attached Files

Notlwonk posted this 01 January 2010

Dollar Bill wrote: . I'm currently searching for someone to open up the throats to .411 and openning up the sizing die to match. 

I've opened up a couple bullet sizing dies using abrasives imbedded on the bullet surface. Smear some 400 grit on a steel surface, roll the bullet back and forth a few times to imbed the grit using another piece of steel on top of the bullet. Run this bullet into your sizing die a several times and do the same with maybe a dozen or more bullets and it will open up the die. Check the progress frequently , every couple bullets or so. You also want to run the bullets deeper than your normal depth to get away from any taper, maybe a 1/8 to 3/16” deeper.

This system was recommended by another CBA member on this forum and it is a cheap way to make a custom size. 

Attached Files

offhand35 posted this 02 January 2010

I have had a 4/58” NMBH for approx 5 yrs. now, and have done a lot playing around with it. I had not gotten better than the 5” groups with it with full house loads like Dollar Bill's, with both jacketed and cast. I wanted it for a carry gun for hiking, but could not count on it taking out a racoon sized rabid critter with those groups! Then, after reading all sorts of articles in regard to the 44spl, I decided to load some up in that power level. It completely changed my opinion of this revolver. Now I can get 1-2” groups at 25yds depending on the bullet and lube. Velocities run 875 with a LEE 210 TLLSWC to 880 with a LBT 220 BBWFN. PLENTY of punch for my purposes. My std LEE .410 sizing die leaves bullets @ .411, and I have a custom LEE sizer in .412 that leaves bullets at .413. You can get LEE to make nearly any size you want, for a small fee. BTW, my NMBH slugged at .4115, cyl mouths were .410. I enlarged the cyl mouths making a mandrel for my drill and wrapping it with emery cloth, working down to 600 grit wet/dry to polish. This method is described in Veral's book. I'm not sure how much difference this made in accuracy, but I could not chamber .412-.413 bullets until I did it. Enjoy your .41!

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 02 January 2010

offhand35 wrote: Now I can get 1-2” groups at 25yds depending on the bullet and lube. Velocities run 875 That was what I thought also. Shooting the 410459 with 6gn WW231 runs about the same velocity, is a very comfortable load to shoot and is very accurate. It just never made sense to me that I couldn't run faster cast loads with a fair degree of accuracy until I read some of the issues others had with Rugers and slugged the throats.

Ron, not to highjack your thread, but I think I'll go ahead and open up the throats and sizing die as suggested by our fellow members. First step will be to make a plug gage. Easy enough with a good drill press. Then I can tell when the throats are at the right diameter.

Ron, you'll enjoy the .41 mag. It has been a challenge, but it's still my favorite pistol calber. Long relegated to the backwaters by industry, as evidenced by the limited availability of bullet weights, it has proven over time to be a vey flexible chambering and with the availability of bullets from 180 to 280 gr, coupled with the knowledge of how to get the most out of RBHs, you'll have a blast!:lovecast:

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 04 January 2010

:coffee  Bill, I have found quite a bit of info on gunsmiths for the Blackhawk single action, Alan Harton and Bob Munden are two of the top names in pistolsmiths.  Trigger and Action jobs, etc.  You're not hijacking the thread, you are educating me here.  I've found the guys at Cast Boolits to be really helpful, they already have a couple of cast iron molds for me. Of course, by now my lower lip is bleeding! Nah, not really but, sure feels that way. I still can't wait to set my peepers on a 41 Mag that is mine.

Ron

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 04 January 2010

My ..41 mag started out as 6.5 in. and is now 4 .5 a(about).  It makes it easier to cary for long periods.  The barrel doesn't dig into the seat of the truck or stick out from under my vest.  The prefered load is an LBT 250 gr. GC and WW 296 powder.  Extremely accurate and not unpleasant to shoot.

Good luck I'm sure you will enjoy yours.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 20 January 2010

:shock:      It's here, and I've stopped biting my lip.  I picked up the CMA reloads with it for $40.  A little cleaning and I went shooting.  My first cylinder full went to 15 yards, the standard concealment range.  That's shown in a paper target, the old grocery sack target.  First shot went way high, must've been set for 200 yards, the next few went left as I got comfortable with it.  The last two went to center bullseye, I really liked the way it shot by then.  I got my little screwdriver out of the range bag and went to the 50 meter pigs (javelina) rack.  I lowered and lowered the rear sight until I popped a pig right off the stand! 

Then, I look down and I've shot half a box, 24 rounds in a row. Not bad, when I got over the idea that it wasn't going to kick like a .357 (and I was anticipating that) it was really enjoyable to shoot. I think I've fallen in love with it. Now, I just have to come up with cast for it. I really love this gun.

http://www.gunblast.com/AlanHarton.htm>http://www.gunblast.com/AlanHarton.htm

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 January 2010

That's a beauty, congratulations!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 21 January 2010

She looks real pretty.  If you decide to go to heavy loads and to shoot a lot of them you may want to get plain smooth wood grips that will slide smoothly through your hand on recoil as the barrel rises.  I once had a SBH 44 maqg with pachmyre rubber grips on it.  Developing full power loads gave me blisters.  Going back to smooth wooden grips cured that problem.

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

41mag posted this 28 January 2010

Well the first one I had was very similar to your only it was a 3 screw flat top. It was the first handgun I purchased when I turned 21, in fact I had found it that week at a pawn shot and had them hold it for me.

I ahot all sorts of loads through it, and it was very accuate even with store bought lead bullets. There was also a shooting range nearby that offered reloads for about $10 for 50 which were all cast loads and they were pretty peppy.

My desire however was to own one in a Redhawk, and after being on several waiting lists for a new one, I finally found one at a gunshow around 87 or 88, and swapped even plus 10 or so to cover the paper work.

Since then I have shot every type bullet at least one through the RH, and evn ordered some heavy custms jobs from somewhere that leaded it so up bad it literlaly had strings coming out the end. LOL Of course it was a lighted range but the shooting area was dark so I didn't quite notice it until after a couple or rounds.

Nowadays, I mainly shoot only the Remington 200gr SJHP's out of it over a load of 20.5gr of 296. It wil shoot very well out to 100yds and does wonders to hogs out as far as you can hit them. The load is really nice as I don't have to emember but the one charge to load the 200, 210, or 220gr bullets, but like I said the 200's are the mainstay.

One thing I can tell you is play with your crimp, it wil make or break your loads. Don't just simply decide that one particular crimp looks good and will work on every bullet or with every powder. Heck I had some 180gr Unicore bullets deisgned for eh 41 AE that shot extremely well and weren't even crimped.

Just as a comparrison here is a target shot free hand at 40 yards, same everything for both groups except for the crimp. This was used to illustrate to my bud, how big a difference it made.

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 02 February 2010

A little off topic...just took delivery on a new Ruger BH Flat Top in .41 Magnum. Don't know how many they made but this one is in the safe for the time being. I've got a S&W M-57 6” and another Ruger NM BH in .41 as well, so it's not like I'm hurting for toys. I do like the caliber...lot's of punch with a lower level of recoil than the .44 Magnums. This one's got the steel frame that balances better in my hand than the alloy ones which seem a little too muzzle heavy. The pic below shows a less than pristine finish mostly due to the heavy oil I've wiped it down with.

Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 04 February 2010

41 Mag: That's some really good shooting there! Does illustrate that the crimp makes a difference. Hope mine will get close to that when I get into developing loads for it.  Right now, 40 yards is a long way off!  Thanks for the reply and the tip.

Rodfac: Believe it or not, you just taught me the difference between a Blackhawk and a Flattop, nice pistol, thanks.

Attached Files

41mag posted this 05 February 2010

Hunter,

Thanks for the compliments on the shooting. It does get better than that, but I had a set of Tru Glo sights installed when I shot those which besides covering the whole dot up at that range, were doing some other weird stuff. Normally when I am on the groups will be simply a ragged hole for the most part. I swapped the sights back out with the Ruger target set I shoot on my GP's and my other RH and things are back to normal now. Well I say that, I haven't been out shooting in a couple of months so all bets are off on my part. My hunting pardner and I were shooting quite a bit when I shot those groups, and I generally try to get at least 20 or so rounds through a weekend, just to keep up the eye hand coordination. With other things taking precidence, I haven't shot anything of late, but hopefully that will change this weekend.

The crimp thing was found pretty much by total accident. I had a 4x scope mounted on my 44 RH, and had a load which for years shot the bull out at 100yds from a home made rest. I had a chance to head to WI for a handgun deer hunt, and was working up loads for the two of them. I was having a pretty hard time just keeping the 44 on paper at 50 while the 41 was simply drilling holes. During a cease fire, I happened to notice the differences in the crimps between the two. When they opend the range back up, I backed my 44's crimp die up a half turn and started easing it down until it matched the 41 loads. As they say the rest was history, my groups once again went into the ragged holes at both 50 and 100.  It was really bothering me as for years the 44 had shot so well and all of a sudden it was whack. But it did illustrate how much differenc it made even with a full case of 296 and a heavy bullet.

Bottom line is you might have to check as you shoot to be sure you have enough to keep the second and third rounds from jumping the crimp when you fire, but you definately don't need to squash it any more than necessary.

Somewhere floating around on the net is a free target which is divided up like a pie. I have seen it called a couple of things but for the most part it is a handgun training target. Each slice shows a different fault caused by the shooter. There is both left and right hand versions. It looks cheesy as all get out but trust me, it will help stretch the range out on your groups pretty quickly. I have it saved on file, and have given it out to several friends who were having issues with just keeping shots together and were burning through factory ammo trying to find something accurate that the handgun liked. Fact is the handgun shot most of it well it was the shooter having the issues. Not saying your having issues but it helps out quite a bit showing the little things, like squeezing the grip, or rolling wrist and such. If you use it start in close, and move it out and your will see how well it works.

Rodfac,

That's a beauty for sure. Brings back a lot of memories shared with a great friend who passed a few years back. We both had them and hauled them everywhere we went while in the country. Thought we were cowboy's I guess. LOL

The only issue I ever had with mine was that darn cylinder pin retaining screw kept backing off and would eventually fall out. No telling how many times I had to replace the spring or part of the screw assembly. Sometimes out in the field I would draw it out of my holster, and plop on the ground my cylinder would go, and the pin and screw would be in the bottom of the holster, if I was lucky. Finally found some lok-tite that actually held it together.

hunterspistol wrote:      41 Mag: That's some really good shooting there! Does illustrate that the crimp makes a difference. Hope mine will get close to that when I get into developing loads for it.  Right now, 40 yards is a long way off!  Thanks for the reply and the tip.

Rodfac: Believe it or not, you just taught me the difference between a Blackhawk and a Flattop, nice pistol, thanks.

Attached Files

shastaboat posted this 05 February 2010

My favorite load was 410610 with 20 gr H110. Chrono. to 1300 fps in my 6” Model 57. 18 gr 2400 shot to same pt at same velocity.

Because I said so!

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 05 February 2010

41 Mag, thank you very much for all the info. It appears that the round can be made Very accurate.  I do know the chart you are talking about that's floating around on the internet, included it below just for reference.  I really need to shoot this pistol more in order to get used to it. The weather has really been slowing me down, it's snowy here right now.

In the meantime, I have two molds and some time to work up loads for it.  I hope I can get something accurate going on with it soon.

Ron

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 17 July 2010

A neighbor had an OM .41 BH 6.5 inch. He used Speer 210 Half jacketed SWC, which is no longer made. He used IMR 4227, but I will not repeat the amount since its been so long. I twas not a top load. One day he was coming from the woods and happened to come up behind a fox. He held the trigger down and cocked the hammer. Thus, there was no click-click. The fox never knew what hit him. But the first OM .41 BH I ever saw was carried by a Methodist minister on a church camp trip into Northern Minnesota. He liked the 6.5 inc BBL too. Nothing happened this time, but he said he had killed two bears with it. He shot one of them at night in his undershorts. How the bear got into his undershorts, he would not say! This was more than 40 years ago. This is probably highly illegal now. It is strange that the .41 is not more popular. It is flatter shooting that a .44 Mag, easier to shoot, and is just as effective in most cases. There are no weaker older guns, the specs are top notch (accurate), and it is easy to load for, from plinkers to mastodon loads. You can make shot loads out of .30-30 cases and .410 wads. I gave them up because, like the .44 Mag and .357mag, recoil and concussion were very unpleasant! In those days I loaded to the top, what else would I load for them? I discovered that .45 ACP and .45 Colts got the job done without blowing my head off.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 17 July 2010

A neighbor had an OM .41 BH 6.5 inch. He used Speer 210 Half jacketed SWC, which is no longer made. He used IMR 4227, but I will not repeat the amount since its been so long. I twas not a top load. One day he was coming from the woods and happened to come up behind a fox. He held the trigger down and cocked the hammer. Thus, there was no click-click. The fox never knew what hit him. But the first OM .41 BH I ever saw was carried by a Methodist minister on a church camp trip into Northern Minnesota. He liked the 6.5 inc BBL too. Nothing happened this time, but he said he had killed two bears with it. He shot one of them at night in his undershorts. How the bear got into his undershorts, he would not say! This was more than 40 years ago. This is probably highly illegal now. It is strange that the .41 is not more popular. It is flatter shooting that a .44 Mag, easier to shoot, and is just as effective in most cases. There are no weaker older guns, the specs are top notch (accurate), and it is easy to load for, from plinkers to mastodon loads. You can make shot loads out of .30-30 cases and .410 wads. I gave them up because, like the .44 Mag and .357mag, recoil and concussion were very unpleasant! In those days I loaded to the top, what else would I load for them? I discovered that .45 ACP and .45 Colts got the job done without blowing my head off.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close