reload cart. for trapping

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 22 December 2009
Coydog posted this 20 December 2009

I like to know from anyone what cart. I could use that I can reload and cast my own bullets to use on my trap line? I use 22 rims long ,I use the cheap ones . I am thinking of haven some reload cal . on hand . I do not want much pelt damage. I will be the max of 10ft. from the trap animal. I was thinking of a 25auto. . what do you have a idea of.The price of rims are not like they where years ago and with ammo like it is .

Thank you

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
KenK posted this 20 December 2009

A .32 H&R magnum or the new .32 (I forget the name) magnum would be versatile.  You could carry it will full power loads and have some .32 long cartridges in your pocket for dispatching animals in the trap.

Or, just get a .32 S&W revolver.

With the cost of primers these days I'm not sure you can reload anything as cheap as cheap .22s.  I maybe wrong, I don't shoot many .22 rimfires and haven't bought any in a long time.

I do like .25 autos, I'd love to have a nice old Colt or Browning.

Attached Files

Duane Mellenbruch posted this 20 December 2009

I would think that a semi-auto reload, used out in the fields, would get lost every time you shoot.  How about a revolver? 

Something in a 32 or 38 caliber revolver would do well.  Primers at 38.00 per/K?  Powder at 22.00 per pound.  Home cast bullets, but a Lee mold about 20.00.  There may be other expenses if you have to purchase brass, lube, or size dies.

For the first thousand it would cost about 38.00 + 20.00 + 9.43 = $67.43.  The next thousand would only cost 47.43 per thousand. 

I would think that you could get two bricks of 22 LR for about half that.  Your local prices may vary and the primers are still seeking a normal level as they become more available.   Duane

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 20 December 2009

Coydog,

Back, oh so many years ago, in the hills by the Ohio River, I ran a trap line also. If I were doing it again, I'd look for an adjustable sighted 32 long or 38 special. Flat nosed bullets tend to punch holes in the pelt, so consider a round ball or round nosed bullet at about 500 f/s. Then you only have a slit of bullet diameter to fix. Round ball moulds are cheap to buy used, don't take much lead and use a few grains of Bullseye powder.

Primers are going to be the biggest expense, about $0.03 a shot. And, as you know, you will have to shoot a lot as you need pin point accuracy from 5 feet to 20 feet.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Ric

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 20 December 2009

Thank you for all your help , I do have the primers aready since I reload 38spl,357mag . and powder I would use what I have aready . Yes i would have to buy case and dies and sizen dies. Also molds . I case my own bullet and slugs and 00 buckshot. For your help tell me basic what I need to know . thank you all again

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2009

This sounds like a perfect application for the .32 S&W Model 1903 Hand Ejector.

For trap line use any of the roundnosed bullets which are traditional in this caliber will work fine, and you could load as little as 1.5 grains of Bullseye.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 21 December 2009

After answering another question on the forum about loading for a reproduction .36 Navy cap & ball, this would be perfect for your trap line, 80-gr. lead ball and about 12 grains of 3Fg would be about 600 f.p.s. and accurate enough at short range. And if you didn;t want to shoot the critters you could club'em!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

bruce posted this 21 December 2009

Using a cap & ball as a production tool, it might make sense to use a Remington style where the cylinder can be swapped quicker. Indeed, there are the pocket Remingtons in .31 caliber! Minimal lead and powder. When my tap-O-matic arrives, I will report on the toy cap-powered percussion caps. Who know, maybe we could whittle the price per shot down below .22 LR?

By the way, my 1851 Navy is the historically inaccurate .44.

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 21 December 2009

i met a gun one time who decided to kick a coyote to death in the trap instead of shooting it. Hi had a hard time getting the animal to let go of his boot and found out that yes teeth will go right through a leather boot. He had moved from New York City and decided to become a mountian man. Well he learned a bit about those cute little dogs that day. joe gifford aka argie1891

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

argie1891 posted this 21 December 2009

cant type should have read i met a guy not met a gun.

if you think you have it figured out then you just dont understand

Attached Files

Coydog posted this 21 December 2009

Thank you again for your help. I have been trapping since 1984 . I started in MA the state I am from before I move to Iowa in 1995. I have club some but some you are better off to just out right shoot them . I did come close of haven an coyote get me when it jump at me short of 2ft. then then got out of the trap it only had 1 toe it held. But one month later I caught it in a snare at the orther farm down the road.The pic of the target help . by the way I also have 2 live coydogs I caught one as a puppy and the orther stay with his brother. now they are just over 8yrs old. Thank you

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 21 December 2009

Nice group Ed, offhand? That little Smith kinda makes me jealous, but soon I'll have my Ruger SSM to console myself with. I already have two Single Six .22 combos, one blue and one SS. I'll have to admit they are very nice to shoot, sometimes disposable brass is a good thing. I read about a guy who made steel bullets on a lathe and loaded them in pulled down rimfires, he did it in .25 acp too. I seem to remember something about legal issues, can't say what, but they would penetrate like hell. The Aguila .22 subsonic 60 gr .22 might be good for dispatching trapped 'yotes.

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 December 2009

tturner53 wrote: Nice group Ed, offhand? That little Smith kinda makes me jealous, but soon I'll have my Ruger SSM to console myself with. I wish it was offhand, but it was fired off sandbags on an indoor range, pre-cataract surgery.  I might be able to beat that now with my new lens. 7 yards DA with 2-handed hold it shoots a ragged hole.

Attached Files

bruce posted this 22 December 2009

Here is a link to a picture of what Sam Colt's idea of a trapper's revolver should look like:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/trapper01-1.jpg

Still on the percussion theme

Attached Files

Close