Accuracy of Savage 99 .308 win

• 4.1K Views
  • Last Post 25 September 2009
robertwilliam posted this 22 September 2009

This weekend I was trying to get my 99 to shoot to a level of accuracy and at a cost I could be satisfied with. I think I am on the cusp of succeeding. I was loading a 180grain cast and GC'd WW, lubed with LLAlox over 12.5gr of Unique in a Lithuanian GGG 7.62 case.  I seated and crimped the bullet at the second groove so that the GC would stop at the bottom of the neck so no lead would be exposed to the hot combustion gasses. The level of accuracy pleased my, 1.25 inches at 50 yards with factory open sights. I have two problems however that kept me from declaring it a success.

The group was 12 inches low, with the rear sight set as high as it would go. Fixable, I can order a lower front sight to solve that problem. The big problem however is that when closing the lever, excessive force is required as the bullet will engrave upon the rifling for about .075.  I fear that if I back the bullet up to clear the rifling I will expose the lead fwd of the GC to the powder gasses and end up with terrible leading.

Any ideas?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
billwnr posted this 22 September 2009

I don't think you'd have a problem with the bullet base below the base of the neck. I've shot some loads that way and didn't encounter any accuracy problems

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 September 2009

Like Bill, I have not had any problems as long as the bottom lube groove is above the bottom of the case neck. That is assumeing you are using crimp on gaschecks.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 September 2009

Just curiosity, what bullet are you using? Are you sizing them? I know that doesn't have anything to do with the issue you have, just wondering. I'm storing(long term) a Savage 99 for a friend, but it's a .300 Savage, not .308. He said I could play with it if I want, was thinking of trying it in the postal lever match coming up.    EDIT; Does anybody know if I can use my 30-06 dies to reload the .300 Savage?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 22 September 2009

Nope, you can't because the body is too long. You could dummy up some 30/06 in 300 Savage dies, but not the other way around.

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 22 September 2009

Thanks Rick. I just remembered I have .308 Win. dies(haven't used 'em in a long time), could I neck size a .300 Savage with those?    EDIT; Hey, what if I just try it and see? Shouldn't be rocket science, a quick look at the cartridge specs oughta tell me something. I've tried to get my friend to just sell me the 99, no dice. They really are nice guns.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 23 September 2009

I shot the RCBS 180FN and had to seat the bullets below the base of the neck. They shot good, about 1.1 to 1.5” at 100 yards.  this was in a Remington 788 in .308

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 23 September 2009

I don't know about 308 dies. The 300 Savage has such a sharp shoulder, I don't know if it will go into a 308 die enough to neck size or not. Ric

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 23 September 2009

Well if it's a no-go worse case is I buy a set of Lee RGB dies, they're pretty darn cheap. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files

robertwilliam posted this 25 September 2009

TT I am using a lyman 311291. It is the only mold I have right now for .30 cal. I use it in my 30-06, 30-40, 7.5 and .308. It works great in the 06. and 30-40.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 25 September 2009

You are just on the edge of the starting loads for a .308 with Unique. The Lyman 48th shows  12.2 to 15.5 grains of Unique for a 180 grain bullet.

However, the most accurate load shown is 21.0 grains of XMP-5744. 

Attached Files

Close