Ruger Convertible

• 3.7K Views
  • Last Post 07 February 2010
acdman posted this 13 May 2009

Have a chance to pick up a Ruger .45LC/.45ACP convertible. single action. Before I open a can of worms, what are the dimensions of the cylinder throats on both of the cylinders? Barrell dimensions? Can correct minor undersize thru reaming to get good matches but can not add metal if there is a bad mismatch - obviously.

Anyone own one they have measured and are willing to share the info? Know dimensions vary from gun to gun but Ruger seems pretty consistant.

Thanks

Mike Christopher

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 13 May 2009

Not in that caliber Mike. I got a 38/9mm convertible, but that wouldn't help you much.

Usually they are 6 inch barrels, but that is all I can offer.

That would be a fun piece to have!

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 13 May 2009

Ruger .45 Colts have, on occasion, had undersize cylinder throats. My Bisley Vaquero was just slightly undersize (.450-.451") and cleaned up nicely with a throat reamer to .4525” (the typical fix for this problem). I haven't heard of a Ruger .45 Colt being oversize.

If this has any application to your potential problem, my new, just acquired Ruger 50th Anniversary .44 Magnum Flat Top had proper throat dimensions (.430-.431") and the cylinders were within .0005” of each other. Very nice, in fact. The revolver shoots, also.

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 14 May 2009

Mike,

My OM BH had a 45 Colt cylinder of .448” and a 45 ACP cylinder of .450". Both cleaned up with a Manson reamer to .453". HTH, Ric

Attached Files

454PB posted this 14 May 2009

I bought mine back in the early 80's. The throats on both cylinders are .4525", the bore is .4515".

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 14 May 2009

Most often you hear of Ruger throats being undersized. Reaming to .4525 or so fixes that problem. I have a reamer designed for this purpose which I am no longer using.

REAMER HAS BEEN SOLD

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

acdman posted this 14 May 2009

Ed

I will take the reamer. Please send details, ie-mailing address, to me.

Mike

[email protected]

Ps - does it come with a pilot bearing? If so, what size.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 17 November 2009

I picked up a new Ruger SS Bisley 5½” .45 Colt/.45 ACP convertible a couple of weeks ago.

As is typical, The .45 Colt cylinder throats were ALMOST large enough (but still undersize) and the .45 ACP was too small to even chamber my .452” bulleted reloads.

I reamed the throats to .4525” (with a Manson reamer it with pilots) and dropped the gun off to my Pistolsmith to do a trigger job on it and two other Ruger single actions.

I got the revolver back, it now has a nice 3lb. trigger pull (my preference) and the pawl was modified to give me a “Free Spin Pawl". Along with my reaming, it was ready to roll.

I got to the range today with a couple of different .45 Colt loads. It shot as well at the end of the session as it did at the beginning and absolutely NO leading!

It is a DANDY!

FWIW Dale53

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 18 November 2009

I own three .45  Colts, a Redhawk, an OM Vaquero, and a Blackhawk, all stainless.  All three sets of throats were undersize.  I used a .4525 throat reamer and all improved in accuracy with cast bullets.  Then a few weeks ago I bought a brand new blue BH with .45 acp/.45 Colt cylinders.  Out of the box, with the .45 acp cylinder, it shoots small groups to the point of aim with 230 Lee TC's and Red Dot!  The trigger and action are wonderfull!!   I have not measured the throats, why should I?  Maybe Ruger got their act together on .45 Colt throats?  This is now my favorite pistol.  :lovecast:

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Clod Hopper posted this 21 November 2009

I forgot to add that last Ruger BH convertible did not shoot either cylinder very well. That was 25 years ago, still trying to buy it back. Of course, i was silly to compare older .45 Colt throat with the throat in my new ACP cylinder. haven't tried the Long Colt yet.

Anyway go for the convertiable. If it don't shoot, it can be fixed with a reamer from Midway. The ACP cylinder is so much fun, I may have more built for my other BH's, Ruger will not retrofit them now.

Dale M. Lock

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 07 February 2010

I had an occasion to get to my indoor range with the .45 ACP cylinder since I last wrote. It is 5 degrees here with 6” of new snow on the ground (more expected Tuesday:(). At any rate, having an indoor range is a Godsend in the winter. Here is a target I shot with the ACP cylinder at 50 feet (six shots off a makeshift rest). 4.0 grs of Bullseye and 200 gr H&G #130 bullet:

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 07 February 2010

Good shootin' Dale. I am also a Ruger fan, although I don't use them as well as you do, the accuracy has always been good enough for me.

Attached Files

Close