Marlin model 36 30-30

• 7K Views
  • Last Post 15 May 2010
Beans posted this 07 April 2009

I want to start shooting  ONLY cast bullets in my Model 36 Marlin 30-30, it has a 24 inch barrel and iron sights

In asking the experts, what bullet mold and load data would you suggest for the best accuracy  ???

I have used the search option and I failed :X

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
AMMOe posted this 07 April 2009

Check out the RCBS 30-180-FP old style if you can find one. My elderly Marlins love it. Really though, any good FP design will work well.~AMMOe

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 08 April 2009

My 1893 and 36 Marlins have 4-groove barrels of Government form and ten-inch twist similar to the Krag or '03 Springfield. Agree on the 30-180FN RCBS being a good choice if you can find one. The Saeco #315 will also work well. Size bullets to .310-.311 and cast of wheelweights, try 21 grs. of RL-7 or 12 grs. of #2400.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

KenK posted this 08 April 2009

If you should want a plain base bullet; I have had good luck with the RCBS 150 grain “Cowboy” bullet with a Marlin 30-30 as well as in a 30/06.

Attached Files

Beans posted this 09 April 2009

The hunt is on :-)

Saeco #315 or

RCBS 30-180-FP old style

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 10 April 2009

I posted a question about favorite .30 molds some time ago, with the intention of using it in Springfield 1903s. The saeco 315 is a favorite of many shooters in a variety of .30 chamberings. I have a 30-30, 308 Win and a couple 30-06s, so the only dilema now is, 2, 4, or 6 cavity mold?

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 10 April 2009

Bill, the question now is how strong are your arms and wrists? At my age, 4 cavities are pretty hard to work for more than an hour at a time. Even then I have a sore arm for several days. But I can use a 2 cavity and cast all afternoon and not have to take any pain meds. Ric

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 10 April 2009

Get you good quality aluminum gang molds.

It's like being in  a bullet maker's Heaven.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 13 April 2009

Good point, Ric. I've had surgery on my left elbow and need it on my right. Think I'll stick to the 2 cavity mold. Giorgio, do you use the Lee gang molds for your pistol bullets?

Attached Files

EdS posted this 13 January 2010

How can I identify an “old style” RCBS 30-180-FP mould? What am I looking for? Thanks, EdS

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 13 January 2010

Before I got my Saeco 315 mold I bought 500 from Meister Bullets. Found out about them on this forum. They sell them as cast only, either lino or HT. Good quality.

Attached Files

CB posted this 14 January 2010

If you could find them, Ranch Dog Outdoors had a series of molds for the Marlins with Microgoove rifling, I realize that your Marlin doesn't have this style of rifling, but those bullets work great in some of my other rifles, like my Spanish FR8.

Jerry

Attached Files

sabbatus posted this 21 January 2010

does anyone have a load for the 30/30 using imr3031 pushing the lee 150 gr gc, cast of wheel weights

thanks

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 22 January 2010

Start at about 24 grains and stop about 28, or just go ahead and load 26 and be done with it.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

RiverRat posted this 28 February 2010

Dosen't the Marlin 336 have their “Micro Groves"? I read somewhere that they degrade in accuracy as you shoot lead. Marlin changed their rifleing on the 1895 Guide Guns so they could shoot the big 45-70 lead slugs.

Attached Files

cat1870 posted this 01 March 2010

Beans.

Wasn't that Ohaus bullet we cast last May 180 grains.  Round nose too, wasn't it?

Attached Files

giorgio de galleani posted this 01 March 2010

I have,among others ,two marlin 95 ,in 45/70,one with migrogrooved and the other with the “new” Ballard rifling.

I shoot in both my 460 dia -400 grains LBT bullet and both guns ,having not read the old wifes tales in the Lyman manuals,shoot merrily the same potent  load,with honest levergun accuracy,and good effect on game.

To declare that “micro groove barrells are inaccurate", means,that microgrooves are inaccurate wity their bullets and their favourite N°2 alloy. 

Have those fellows partecipated with their thirty-thirty carbine in the Palma Match?

Use a correct design30 bullet,with generous diameters on the bands and nose,of hardness sufficient to resist the load's pressure,and you'll see accuracy at leverguns woods distance ,with iron sights..

The big mould makers will never admit that cast bullets accuracy comes with custom,well designed,and well made CUSTOM MOLDS.

They make bullets that will chamber and go bang in most guns,but if you want real accuracy  just spend your money once,and get a custom mould.

Last year I sold dozens of iron molds,I had a real collection of them ,and got some 4 cavity from Veral Smith ,and I am very pleased with them.

For loads that require low accuracy levels,as in Cow boy action shooting,or steel plates or pigeons in the barn,I still use,causing Veral's wrath, the Lee tumble lube bullets,using their cheap six cavity moulds.

And in my experience,the six cavity moulds are made better than their single or double cavity moulds.

Attached Files

JSH posted this 01 March 2010

I read somewhere that they degrade in accuracy as you shoot lead. Marlin changed their rifleing on the 1895 Guide Guns so they could shoot the big 45-70 lead slugs.

A myth. I had heard for years that CB's were only good for plinking loads and under 1300fps. AND, that they were good only for handguns and then they would leave you a mess..................all BS

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 01 March 2010

I've shot Lyman 311041s in my Marlin 336 with micro-groove rifling for 20+ years. Cast from Lyman #2, they provide sufficient accuracy over a hunting season. I shoot 3 foulers, then don't clean till after the season is over. At the end of the season, after maybe 5-8 shots at game, they still shoot 2.5 MOA for 5 shots.

Extended shooting or 10 shot strings may show some degradation in accuracy, but I don't use them that way. I believe that with a bullet correctly fitted to the throat and of the proper hardness, shot at lower velocities, should deliver good results over longer strings.

There not bolt action target rifles, but hunting rifles pure and simple, well designed for their intended purpose. Havinf said that, I have high hopes for the SAECO 315 @ 1500fps or so, cast 13-15 BHN.

Attached Files

RiverRat posted this 01 March 2010

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I have been shooting my Winchester 30-30 but I perfer to shoot my Marlin 336 so I am thrilled that the lead bullet thing is a myth!

Attached Files

mtgrs737 posted this 15 March 2010

I have the Lyman 311041 mould that I cast for my Marlin 336 micro-groove. I cast using wheel weight + plus about  1/2% tin and size them to .310” with a 10 to 11 grain charge of Unique and a WWLR primmer to light the powder. It seems accurate enough and is very pleasant to shoot. It also feeds well though my rifle and so far no lead fouling with the 50-50 alox/beeswax lube. This bullet was designed for the 30-30 and I find that the front driving band on the bullet is just starting to engrave the rifling when chambered. This one works well for me.

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close