.303 British Lee Enfield accuracy

• 12K Views
  • Last Post 13 January 2010
JeffinNZ posted this 17 March 2009

Team.

Here is an article I had published recently in NZ.

Chasing Lee Enfield Accuracy.
“Psychiatric admission in 6 easy steps” .

See attachment

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
JeffinNZ posted this 17 March 2009

Continuation - see attachment

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 18 March 2009

Outstanding~! Thanks very much for posting this.

It validates my perceptions of a favorite rifle. I posted some pictures of my cobbled up Cdn. Long Branch monstrosity. It has a shortened fore stock and keeps the rear handguard, but discards the upper handguard. The 22-inch Heym hammer forged 7.62 NATO barrel blank is of weight and contour similar to a Remington M40, but the NATO chamber was cut off and the blank rechambered using a .303 pressure barrel reamer.

This was built in Ontario for me when I worked at the NRA and imported through a US dealer. It has an offset side scope mount with rail which accepts Ruger rings. I use a Weaver 4X Classic for hunting, but the rifle can be stripper clip loaded with the scope attached, and I can also use the iron sights, a Pattern 14 front sight, with Mk.I battlesight. It used to have an A.J. Parker 8/53 backsight conversion on it, but I sent that to Italy so our mutual friend Giorgio could enjoy it. I use the rifle as a cast bullet plinker now, but having a barrel of normal 7.62/.30 cal dimensions I have a much wider choice of bullets. So it is sort of a 30-303.

No problem shooting normal .303 factory loads in the tight barrel. Bolt opening is easy with no pressure signs. Velocities are where they should be. When I was at Ruger we made some No.1 and No.3 single shots for the Canadian trade which used normal .30 cal. barrels and we shot pressure tests with test barrels of standard SAAMI .303 British and with tight-bore pressure barrels using .308 blanks. The pressure rise was in the order of +3,000 to +3,500 psi, which is well within the design limits of a sound action. Retired Cdn. Ordnance engineer told me that the sloppy throats in wartime “trench” chambers which permitted bullet bases to upset to over .318 and then having to be squeezed down again were a bigger problem. Having a throat only 0.0005 larger than maximum bullet diameter of the minimum dimensioned normal configuration works just fine with a .308 groove, even with MkVIIIz and AP!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Recluse posted this 19 March 2009

Jeff,

Fantastic article! Well written, easy to understand and very concise. I'm also a fan of the .303 and am in the slow process of rebuilding one--albeit away from the “original” look and form.

I printed and formatted your article and it is going in my notes & data binder for this caliber in the reloading shop.

Well done, sir.

:coffee:

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 March 2009

Thanks Jeff, that is really a great acticle! Sure glad you're here on the forum sharing your neat stiff with us. :dude: 

Attached Files

barney posted this 21 March 2009

Jeff, Ya' done good! I asked for a few tidbits of helpful info and got the encyclepedia of the .303!

Attached Files

JeffinNZ posted this 23 March 2009

Thanks guys.  I appreciate the feedback.

Cheers from New Zealand

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 23 March 2009

Not only a great article, Jeff, but good timing. My local shop just got in 2 LEs I've been looking at and your well put together information gives me the confidence to give one a try. Thanks.

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 23 March 2009

hopefully, the trigger is next? please. my youngest daughter will smack me for asking as she prefers a two stage mili trigger. teenagers..go figure.

Attached Files

pschmidlkofer posted this 31 March 2009

Great article.

It will be printed off and added to my resource binder.

I picked up a Enfiled from a fellow about 6 months ago. It had been bubbasized pretty bad. First thing I did was replace the wood stock that had been heavily modified with a synthetic. Now I'm having to do some gunsmithing on the action. The guy had ground off just about everything up there I could have mounted a scope on. And the last thing I will do is Parkerize it. When finished I hope to have a nice little decent working rifle for knocking around the woods with.

The things I'll do to keep myself off the street corners at night........

Attached Files

mdj696 posted this 12 January 2010

Thanks for guiding me here, lots of study here.

Attached Files

Tazman1602 posted this 13 January 2010

Great article! Just posting so I can be notified when more info comes up.

Art

Attached Files

Close