.308 Winchester v. 30/06 Springfield

• 3.9K Views
  • Last Post 16 February 2009
KenK posted this 12 February 2009

Which is the better cast bullet cartridge?

It seems to me the .308 has a more advantageous powder capacity but the 30/06 has that long lovely neck.

It looks like the .308 dominates the CBA production class but that may just be because of the availability of the Savage rifle in that chambering.

I'm looking at buying another Ruger No. 1 in one of the two.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
linoww posted this 12 February 2009

My 30-06 rifles are mostly older ones,but the throating seems a more forgiving for various designs than the typical 308 Win.  In a Ruger #1. i would bet(not alot of money) it would be  hard to tell the difference in accuracy  between the calibers. For me the 3000 rnds of 30-06 brass i have seals the deal.

I am looking for a #1B 30-06 myself.I have a buddy who just offered me a new 1-14 twist 30 barrel i could stick on another #1 action.I want to  build a dedicated plainbase 30-06 rifle.A stupid plan,but what the heck!

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

KenK posted this 12 February 2009

linoww wrote: I am looking for a #1B 30-06 myself.I have a buddy who just offered me a new 1-14 twist 30 barrel i could stick on another #1 action.I want to  build a dedicated plainbase 30-06 rifle.A stupid plan,but what the heck!

George What I really, really, want is a single shot in 30-30.  That is what I would do if I was going to rebarrel.

Attached Files

Cant argue with the 30-30 SS idea.If i did another 30 from scratch i am would to do a 32 Mag.I had a Martini in 32-20 throated for rifle bullets a few years back witha 1-10 twist takeoff Ruger 308 varmint tube and boy was it fun.I think the 32 mag would hold enough powder to get what i want from a plainbse 170-190 bullet.if not I'll punch it to 32-20.

Geroge

Attached Files

jimkim posted this 12 February 2009

What about the 32 Special.

Attached Files

jimkim wrote: What about the 32 Special.

George

Attached Files

cityboy posted this 12 February 2009

I don't have a 308 but I do have three 30-06s and like the round a lot.  There are a lot of loading data for it in the Lyman manuals plus the round is not tempermental. One of my best loads is 11.5 grains of Unique with the 311284 cast from ww alloy. Accuracy is less than 1.0 in ES at 100 yards with the bullet fitted to the throat (1.5 degree included angle). Velocity is 1250 fps.

Jim

Attached Files

cityboy wrote: I don't have a 308 but I do have three 30-06s and like the round a lot.  There are a lot of loading data for it in the Lyman manuals plus the round is not tempermental. One of my best loads is 11.5 grains of Unique with the 311284 cast from ww alloy. Accuracy is less than 1.0 in ES at 100 yards with the bullet fitted to the throat (1.5 degree included angle). Velocity is 1250 fps.

Jim Hard to beat a load like that in any caliber! I did alot of shooting this year with 12.0 of Unique and the 311466.I loaded them in fullsized cases and used the load in my three '06 rifles and two friends rifles as well.Bullets seated deep to function in all rifles still shot under 1.5” @100 in all of them.Its all the accuracy needed for our 100-200 yd plinkouts.

George Damron V

Attached Files

DonH posted this 13 February 2009

linoww wrote: jimkim wrote: What about the 32 Special.

George  

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #e6eaeb"A distinct advantage to the .32 Spl or .30-30 is the ability to load and shoot fixed ammunition. The .32 Miller is dominant in plain-base bullet competition but is a breech-seat proposition only. That is fine for compettion but not so fine if one ever wants to use a rifle otherwise.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 13 February 2009

I was refering to breech seating when i was talking about the smaller .32 cases.I just fabricated a breech seater for my 30-06 for use with the 308403 Pope bullet.I used a 30-06 case with a sliding rod that allows me to put the bullet a bit into the neck. When the bolt closes the rod is pushed home by the boltface and seats the bullet.If it is a success i'll have my friend make me a nice adjustable depth one.I will be able to use my Pope re-de to load on the bench with one case.I must be board!

George

Attached Files

AMMOe posted this 13 February 2009

I have a couple of each and like them both. I have shot the smallest CB groups with my BRNO M98 actioned sporter that has an FN made, Israeli surplus .308 barrel installed. The barrel was new and in the white when I installed it on a $50 gun-show purchased BRNO action and dropped it into a used Fajen stock. Using heat treated, 30-180-SP's tapered in an Eagan die, it shoots sub MOA for three shots when ever I do my bit. I have fired groups as small as .5 MOA and none larger than 1.2” at high speeds. I have never fired a “target” load with it. Every round fired has been over 2000 fps. A real deer slammer is the 311-407 at 2250. Mule deer hate it.

I have never had that kind of results with any 30-06.~AMMOe

Attached Files

KenK posted this 16 February 2009

I was about to give up on my borrowed .308 but shot a fairly nice group with it this afternoon.  It seems to not like 2400.  Bluedot maybe has me on track.

George, how about an update on your breechseating experiments?

Attached Files

KenK posted this 16 February 2009

The .32 Miller is dominant in plain-base bullet competition but is a breech-seat proposition only. That is fine for compettion but not so fine if one ever wants to use a rifle otherwise. Assuming the bullet fit so that a simple push type seater worked; I believe the Miller Short could be reloaded in the field faster than a muzzle loader.  One 200 grain .32 caliber bullet should be all a fellow would need on a deer anyways.

Attached Files

Close