.350 Legend Looks Interesting

• Last Post 26 August 2019
MarkinEllensburg posted this 21 August 2019

I am intrigued. Has anyone tried this new cartridge with a cast bullet? Seems like it might be a good choice for Hunter or Production class.

I doubt there is any load data yet but treated as a wildcat someone will I am betting.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Fitzpatrick posted this 21 August 2019

I've been considering it or the  357 ar in a savage rebarrel project get a 1 in 14 twist with a long throat i think it would like cast just fine

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 21 August 2019

Mark, but I am not seeing any with heavy barrels that you would need for hunter or production class. A six pound rifle is going to be hard to shoot off the bench.

Attached Files

Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 21 August 2019

... the rimless 350 legend depends on the end of the case ( no neck ) for headspacing ... the 357 maximum is only 1/10 shorter and uses the rim to headspace.   of course, if you have an auto-loader, the Legend would be great;  i can't imagine a 100 lb. whitetail with 16 or 20  350 Legend slugs through him getting very far.

ken

Attached Files

MarkinEllensburg posted this 23 August 2019

Good points Ken and Ric.

Headspacing on the casemouth seems to work out just fine for the .45ACP, just saying.

I have witnessed some great shooting in Spokane by some with sporters, although they have been wood stocked ones and likely did weigh more than 6 pounds.

My thoughts are along the lines of a larger diameter bullet is an advantage when shooting score.Plus the smaller capacity case I think is an advantage.

Fitzpatrick if you use it for a rebarrel project please let us know how it works out.

Attached Files

M3 Mitch posted this 26 August 2019

I'm thinking the 350 is, effectively, a .357 Maximum made for AR type platforms.  Should have the advantage of the brass, which is essentially .223/5.56 brass without the neck, being relatively cheap. 

It should provide an AR round that will "run" with a cast bullet.

As for benchrest shooting, there are people out there that will make whatever you want in terms of a barrel.  Most factory guns are coming out light and short for hunting.  But if you want a longer, heavier barrel for target shooting, they should be available soon or already. I know some people who have a gun room full of upper and lower receivers in various calibers, almost like a Lego set that shoots. One of the advantages of ARs.

Attached Files

Close