Do you test accuracy with a scope, Red Dot or Iron sights?

• 3.3K Views
  • Last Post 07 March 2009
AzShooter posted this 21 January 2009

I've been playing with different bullets lately and testing for accuracy. 

I normally shoot USPSA and ICORE with my revolver with standard iron sights but for testing I first put a red dot on my Model 627 S&W and then mounted a Leupold 2x LEE pistol scope.

I'm getting better results with the scope, although the red dot is pretty good. The dot just covers the x ring of my sight in target at 25 yards.  I think I hold the scope more still since my groups are about 1/2 to 1/4 in better on the average.

Since these old eyes aren't near what they used to be, iron sighted tests open up about another 1/2 to 3/4 inch over the red dot sighted groups.

Once I have my testing done I'll put my iron sights back on for competition.

What do you like to do and why?

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 21 January 2009

I use all 3.. Depending on which handgun I am using. I dont shoot in competition but I do hunt with the pistols. Generally I look for 1st shot accuracy because that is most important when hunting. I do experiment with different bullets and in all cases I have found that the LBT WFN / FN bullets shoot best. I sight my pistols in at 50 yards and get 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups.

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 21 January 2009

I use all 3 also. In particular, the best sight available that will mount on the firearm without modification for load developement. Then I switch back to whatever sight I'll be using normally. I've benn contenplating mounting a scope on my Browning BPCR, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

Attached Files

CB posted this 21 January 2009

I use all three. In handgun load development at 25yds., I find using the scope to be the most precise over the red-dot or open sights. Shooting off-hand though the 0-power red-dot is more comfortable, or even standard irons.

With rifles I have found while shooting minute-of-angle or more hunting or military type rifles, I can do reasonably well after switching back to iron sights as I can with a scope.

Target peep-sights on the other hand on a target rifle with the proper target for sight picture can shoot equally well. I've seen more than one time competitors to shoot a better score with 'irons' on the 1,000yd NRA High-Power match while shooting under a bad-scope condition day..................Dan

Attached Files

BruceV posted this 21 January 2009

For my pistol and revolver I still use and prefer standard iron sights. I do like a rear sight that allows a little more light than was necessary when I had 20 yr. old eyes. I like the iron sights because they allow me to carry the pistol or revolver in a standard hip holster, they are sufficiently accurate enough for me to get hits out to normal hunting distances and they are sturdy giving me no cause to worry about them being bumped out of adjustment.

For rifles I really like a plain blade front and a aperture rear sight. I find that I can with good loads produce excellent on target results with either the 03 or 03-A3, but for hunting I prefer the 03-A3. In vintage military rifle matches I have had very good success with my Rem. 03 using the small aperture rather than the notch (battle sight). With this arrangement I have averaged 97 for the last 18 strings of prone slow.

For my hunting rifles I use good quality scopes exclusively. Occasionally I will carry my 03-A3 match rifle on a hunt. It has always given me perfect results. However, much of my hunting now is done in the early morning and late in the afternoon and evening when shadows and poor light conditions make using irons sights less useful. Given that I want to make a clean kill, I prefer to use a scope as I think it more likely that I will make an effective first round hit. Sincerely. Bruce.

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 07 February 2009

Um, guess what?  I use a scope, don't have a Red Dot, and shoot some iron sights too. For load development, gimme the scope!

Attached Files

Brodie posted this 07 February 2009

I use iron and glass both, don't have one of those fancy dot dealies..

B.E.Brickey

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 10 February 2009

With handguns I test them using the sights they have on them and which I would use in the field. Same goes for hunting rifles. If I am in the pure ammo test mode, I use a 10X scope on the best rifle I have in the caliber. I'm not into benchrest shooting anymore, and am more of a tinkerer and experimenter.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Dew posted this 12 February 2009

Jeff, "I sight my pistols in at 50 yards and get 1 - 1 1/2 inch groups."

Is that with scopes or open sights? That accuracy will put you in the winning circle at 50 yard bullseye competition.

Thanks.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 07 March 2009

Since I nearly lost my sight in my right eye (my shooting eye) I have discovered Red Dot sights. I am “back in the game", more or less. I no longer shoot competitively, but I shoot frequently. When the weather permits I like to shoot AT LEAST twice a week and prefer three times.

I have Red Dots on my 617, 16-4, 686, and both 625's. I thoroughly enjoy watching those big holes appear in the “x” and “10” rings with the .45's and also get almost an equal thrill when shooting the .32's.

Last year when I thought I was loosing my sight I got a bit down. So-o-o, I REALLY enjoy shooting again (thank the good Lord for Red Dot Sights :dude:).

Dale53

Attached Files

DonH posted this 07 March 2009

Dale53 wrote: Last year when I thought I was loosing my sight I got a bit down. So-o-o, I REALLY enjoy shooting again (thank the good Lord for Red Dot Sights :dude:).

Dale53 Great feeling isn't it Dale? Great to hear you are back at it!

Attached Files

Dew posted this 07 March 2009

Dale 53...

What brand of red dot scopes do you like the best?

I have the same guns as you and might try a red dot.

Attached Files

Close