311467 "HEAVY" COPY BY LBT

• 6.6K Views
  • Last Post 18 November 2008
linoww posted this 12 November 2008

I have had good luck with Lyman's Loverain 311466 and 311467 in 4 groove Springfield's 30-06 rifles.The versions that seem to shoot have the front band or two  undersized to about .304.Not all of them do,some are full body diameter to the nose.I have not had good luck with these versions.I decided to have LBT make me heavier copy of the 311467.(My 311467 is not very round but still shoots well)I just got it, and it is beautiful.Weight is 208 in W/W + tin.Nose is .301,front wide band is .304 and the remainder of the body is .311.Will shoot this weekend i hope.

LYMAN 311467 SHOWN TO THE LEFT

George Damron

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
CB posted this 12 November 2008

George, I think Veral made you a better designed cb. The 311467 and 311466 have too thin of drive bands, not heavy enough for support. Good luck with the new cb.............Dan

Attached Files

Veral Smith posted this 12 November 2008

When you've had a chance to wring it out, please post photos of the bullet and your results.    I think they will be even better than a Lee mold would give!   Veral  at LBT

Attached Files

CB posted this 13 November 2008

George,

Those LBT moulds sure are nice aren't they? 

Attached Files

linoww posted this 13 November 2008

I had three made over the last year and all have been exceptional.As a bonus his mold lube sticks make the casting process smell so darn nice.

George

Attached Files

The 311467 and 311466 have too thin of drive bands, not heavy enough for support.

They have worked OK for me,but i have only shot them up to about 1650fps.My main complaint was inspecting all of those grooves after casting.

George

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 13 November 2008

I'd bet you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope!;)

Attached Files

My main complaint was inspecting all of those grooves after casting.

"I'd bet you'd complain if you were hung with a new rope"

Yup<G>

Its still alot better than going through the 700-800 lyman 225438's I did last night??I stopped at about 200 when i just could find many with flaws.I'll take the occasional flyer in lue of the crossed eyeballs from sorting them.

George

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 13 November 2008

Veral Smith wrote: When you've had a chance to wring it out, please post photos of the bullet and your results.    I think they will be even better than a Lee mold would give!   Veral  at LBT ROTFLMAO!

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

KenK posted this 13 November 2008

linoww wrote: Its still alot better than going through the 700-800 lyman 225438's I did last night??I stopped at about 200 when i just could find many with flaws.I'll take the occasional flyer in lue of the crossed eyeballs from sorting them.

George

I can't make myself do it.  

I look them over pretty good while I'm casting, drop on a towel and roll them over with a spoon and toss any culls I see then.  I give them another look as I'm putting them through the sizer and cull a few more then.

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 13 November 2008

If'n you fill all those lube grooves you'll go thru your lube 10 times faster than the rest of us.

Better put in a lube order right now.:fire

Attached Files

linoww posted this 14 November 2008

I can't make myself do it.  

I look them over pretty good while I'm casting, drop on a towel and roll them over with a spoon and toss any culls I see then.  I give them another look as I'm putting them through the sizer and cull a few more then.

Thats my usual system also,but this is a 4 cavity 225438 and it gets ahead of me sometimes.

George

Attached Files

billwnr wrote: If'n you fill all those lube grooves you'll go thru your lube 10 times faster than the rest of us.

Better put in a lube order right now.:fire I only lube the bottom ones.Funny guy.

Attached Files

snippyboy2 posted this 14 November 2008

I have a couple of comments to make on lyman 311466 and 311467 moulds..

in my experience they are 2 designs that are the easiest to get higher velocity in 30 caliber rifles with gasckecks. they can be a little more difficult to cast due to all the lube groves. I have shot 311466 to over 2500 f/s. 

for several years I used 311466 and 13 grains of unique for sporting rifle comp in an old '06. it would holds 4 inches all day at 200yds and no recoil and very little expence.

while trying to prepare for 1000yd match I used 311466 with no gascheck and 11 grains of unique at 50 yds withthe same sight setting I used for full loads with match 168 hornedy bullets. of course the point of impact was pretty high at 50 yds but it gave cheap pratice and no recoil.

I did take one deer with 311466 in a 30-30 at about 100 yds. not the best choice. but it worked. also  alot of jack rabbits and ground squirrels

Loyde DeVore told me that 311467 was not as critical of  alloy as some other designs.

Jim Wilcox

Attached Files

snippyboy2 wrote: I have a couple of comments to make on lyman 311466 and 311467 moulds..

in my experience they are 2 designs that are the easiest to get higher velocity in 30 caliber rifles with gasckecks. they can be a little more difficult to cast due to all the lube groves. I have shot 311466 to over 2500 f/s. 

for several years I used 311466 and 13 grains of unique for sporting rifle comp in an old '06. it would holds 4 inches all day at 200yds and no recoil and very little expence.

while trying to prepare for 1000yd match I used 311466 with no gascheck and 11 grains of unique at 50 yds withthe same sight setting I used for full loads with match 168 hornedy bullets. of course the point of impact was pretty high at 50 yds but it gave cheap pratice and no recoil.

I did take one deer with 311466 in a 30-30 at about 100 yds. not the best choice. but it worked. also  alot of jack rabbits and ground squirrels

Loyde DeVore told me that 311467 was not as critical of  alloy as some other designs.

Jim Wilcox

My accuracy with the 311466 is similar to yours with Unique powder in hte 30-06,30-30 and 7.65 Mausers.I have a 4 cavity version and it gets the nod as a “have in stock” GC bullet.I had the LBT made to test my theory about the front .304 band being a “good thing".The bullets ends up being “stepped"rather than tapered and seems easier to taper(in an Eagan “T” die) the narrow bands to fit tighter throating.All theories,I have yet to prove. The multiple bands also seem easier to engrave in the larger military throats.I also wanted a heavier bullet for 200 yd shooting out in these winds of eastern Wa.

I may have shot with you In Springfield Or.in the early 90's with the Vancouver WA. crowd with Bill Anderson.I didn't know you moved out to Vale.Did you run the couple of matches they had out there few years back??

George Damron

Attached Files

billwnr posted this 14 November 2008

I take it you are experimenting (as we all do).  Do you think this bullet has any advantages over either a 311299 or its stouter cousin the 314299?

Attached Files

I take it you are experimenting (as we all do).  Do you think this bullet has any advantages over either a 311299 or its stouter cousin the 314299?

Probably not.

I just never liked Loverain style bullets in the past. When i started to have good luck with my 4 cavity 311466 and then the 311467 I got interested in them again.In my 1903's and Argentine the 311467 and 466 did as well as any other 30 i had shot.I figured i might like to have a 311467 in a two cavity as mine was a single and not too round.If i found one on EBay i would have ended up paying close to $80 and taken a chance on an old used mold. If i bought an LBT i would take no chances.I sure liked the two other LBT molds I had made and Veral agreed to make the mold to my rough sketch. I designed it a little heavier, with less grooves,but of similar dimensions.May be a bust who knows??

George

Attached Files

My family has been in this area since a lot of it was sagebrush.

where is burbank wash? an old map sez it is near walla walla but I can't find it. one of my brothers taught at whitman there until retirement.

I did try to get matches going here but there isn't millions of people in the area. most of those guys have kicked off. I do try to make at least one cba match every year but it is a long way to any of them. if god wills I'd sure like to make the nationals in new mexico next year. 3 years ago Dick and I went to the nationals in kansas city. I've been to 2 nationl matches at springfield. every one should go at least once. you get to shoot with the big guys and see that they are human. great group of people. course most don't win but you can see how it's done.

I and  my friend Dick Foster did make the regional at Bill andersons i n august.

to get back to the lovern bullets. when I wanted a load for the hi velocity match. I took some of Verils advice. a bullet that fill the groves. good lube. a slow powder and hard alloy. a 308 and 760 powder will do the trick but how many of those will I shoot? about  4 or 5 for every hundred or so loaded with 13 grains of unique!

Attached Files

snippyboy2 wrote: where is burbank wash? an old map sez it is near walla walla but I can't find it. one of my brothers taught at whitman there until retirement.

II've been to 2 nationl matches at springfield. every one should go at least once. you get to shoot with the big guys and see that they are human. great group of people. course most don't win but you can see how it's done.

to get back to the lovern bullets. when I wanted a load for the hi velocity match. I took some of Verils advice. a bullet that fill the groves. good lube. a slow powder and hard alloy. a 308 and 760 powder will do the trick but how many of those will I shoot? about  4 or 5 for every hundred or so loaded with 13 grains of unique!

Burbank is located where the Snake Riv. meets the Columbia Riv. in Walla Walla Co.its pretty close to Pasco.

I shot in the 1996 or 1997 Nat's in Springfield,maybe thats where i remember you from.I was the only guy under 60<G>

I havent tried shooting the .30 Loverins as fast as you,but the 225438 and 225462 i have launched at 2500-2700 with decent accuracy.i dont plan to shoot the new bullet much faster than 1700,but maybe i should try!!

And i am hooked on the Unique and 311466 combo in the old '06.

Attached Files

I have a 225438 that I used in a cheap 222 bolt gun about 50 years past' it did collect quit a few jackrabbits. I think the load was 8 or so grains of 2400. later I did get 222 contender and with the same load I did break quite a few rocks. I did load some of monotype at near full loads. that shot well. those small bullets have problems. the wind bothers them a lot more than the heavier 30 cals.

if one goes to the lyman cast bullet book and looks at how much a 5 mile wind moves the 22 and look at the 30s it explains why the hotshot match guns are mostly 30 cal. to quote,  with a 5 mile per hour wind  and 2000 f/s vel and 200 yds the 225438 will move over 11 inches while 311466 will move 4.64 inches.

the guys that shot in the 2007 nationals with loads going over 2600 f/s. we would like to know more of their teckniques. I have never been able to get something going that fast with match accuracy.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 November 2008

Shot a few from the new LBT mold this weekend at my range at the cabin.It is about 150 yards.Groups were 1"-1.5” for four 5 shot strings.Load was 15.5 of A2400 and the gun was a Sporter 1903 w 6X scope.Two groups started with the first 3 into a bughole then vertically strung.Work to do,but it seems good so far.Would have posted pic's but i forgot to retrieve the targets before i left.It was a “top secret” shoot as i was supposed to only be installing the wood stove in the cabin not playing.Still i am happy with the bench made of scrap material.

Skinny guy in picture is my neighbor.If you reference my avatar you can tell it ain't me!!

George

Attached Files

Close