New vs Old Molds

• 2.1K Views
  • Last Post 10 November 2008
CB posted this 08 November 2008

Most of my molds are Lyman or Ideal. My question is if you were to puchase a mold say .30 cal would you rather buy a new mold or a used mold in great shape. What might be the advantages of both.

Stephen Perry:fire

Angeles BR

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

If you can find the mould you want used in great shape buy it to save the money. Can't think of a bigger advantage than that. 

Attached Files

Pat

To be more specific I have a chance to purchased a used Ideal mold 311284. The mold is listed new in  Midway also. Any advantage in puchasing a used mold over a new one, cost is about the same.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire 

Attached Files

hunterspistol posted this 08 November 2008

Moulds here: And check Pics and For Sale (it's his current inventory)

:coffeehttp://www.hollowpointmold.com/>http://www.hollowpointmold.com/

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 November 2008

Stephen Perry wrote: Pat

To be more specific I have a chance to purchased a used Ideal mold 311284. The mold is listed new in  Midway also. Any advantage in puchasing a used mold over a new one, cost is about the same.

Stephen Perry

Angeles BR:fire 

If I had to pay 55 bucks for a mould that I could get at Graf and Sons for 62 shipped I'd probably buy new unless I already tried it and it shot great in my rifle. If the used mould was in good condition and the guy wanted 35 or 40 I'd buy used . I think the bigger question is why would someone think they could sell a used mould for the same price as a new one?

To answer your question though I see no advantage to one over the other except price. A good used or a brand new will both throw bullets.

Attached Files

To answer the question on why someone would think a used mold is worth as much as a new mold is simple.

Just look on Evil Bay..

I see people trying to get more than new price for everything.

However you can still find tthe occasional good deal. I picked up a  used lyman 4 cavity keith style molds for 357 mag this past summer and also an ideal keith style for the 44 mag. I think I gave around 30 bucks each plus shipping. I also got a lyman mold for the 45 acp for about the same. The bonus was they both came with the handles!

Attached Files

I've had pretty good luck recently posting a Want To Buy ad on a few of the cast bullet forums when looking for something. I've found everyone I've dealt with to be more than fair with pricing and totally honest on condition if that's an issue.

Back to Steve. There's a possibility I have a 311284 or 311335 laying around here somewhere that's lightly used. I'll give you a good price on it if you take some of the savings and put it towards a membership in the CBA. If you're interested give me few days to search because I'm a slob and have things everywhere. 

By the way, are you ever going to reunite with Journey?? (Sorry but I could only hold back for so long:))

Attached Files

mrbill2 posted this 09 November 2008

Midsouth Shooters    Lyman 311284 2 cavity New $46.55

mrbill2

Attached Files

Guys

Maybe just maybe I started this Thread out wrong. Forget the price. My question is are there any advanatages or disadvantages in buying a old mold that appears in good shape compared to buying the same new. In other words are Ideal molds of the same quality as Lyman equvalents. I have 22 molds mostly Lyman, couple Ideal and a few Lee. I have been casting since 1963. I was a sprout when I started. Just trying to get a take on what you guys feel about buying old molds compared to buying the same new. A better question is do molds wear out with normal use.

Thanks Bill for the line on MidSouth I will check them out.

Stephen Perry :fire

Angeles BR

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 09 November 2008

Stephen,

1. Moulds do not wear out, if used properly. However, mis-use will damage them. Not noticed is alignment holes and screw threads. Also peening of the sprue cut off plate scoring the top of the mould.

2. After a couple of thousand heat or casting cycles, the metal will stabilize. Some adjustments are necessary after that.

3. Quality varies with the day the mould was made, and what employee did it. I don't know if new ones are CNC made or not.

4. Moulds that accumulate a lot of dirt and are never cleaned don't cast that well.

5. Ideal moulds tend (!) to cast bigger bullets than the newer Lymans.

I have a fixed cavity Ideal that cast perfect bullets even though it is over 100 years old. I have some new Lyman moulds that don't make good bullets. Each one is an individual, and it is just pot luck on buying one.

HTH, Ric

Attached Files

runfiverun posted this 09 November 2008

sometimes changes have been made to the molds over time. some of the changes are desirable to fit your particular gun. some times they are just things like rounded lube grooves instead of square.  or a driving band has been changed some.

just look at the keith molds and how they have changed and back again.

Attached Files

NoDakJak posted this 10 November 2008

I buy and use both new and used molds, depending on price and availability.  I prefer buying new.  If you get a lemon just send it back to the maker.  Usually no problem there.  I have sitting in front of me at the moment a Lyman 457125 that casts a bullet so undersized that it is worthles and is also five thousandths out of round.  I bought it at a gunshow several years ago and have no recourse.  Ah well!  I just purchased a couple of molds sight unseen.  The old boy has never cast and doesn't even really know what they are although he thinks that they are 30 caliber.  He bought them at an auction about thirty years ago and has had them stored in fruit jars ever since.   I will pick them up over thanksgiving holidays.  Sure be nice if they are B&M or Modern Bond!!!    Neil

Attached Files

Close