used bullet mould prices??

• 3.8K Views
  • Last Post 09 July 2008
Jsam posted this 07 July 2008

My stepfather, Victor Bill Rhynerson, was a member of the CBA. He passed away recently and my Mother has asked for my help to identify and sell some of his 117 bullet moulds. I have no real idea what any of his moulds are worth. Does any one have any advice on how to procede?     I have gone through the moulds and have a written list containing all the information I could get from the moulds.  Some of them I have no problem understanding such as     RCBS     30 cal    180gr. SP        2 cavity.     Others such as             saeco    221F5K            2 cavity make no sense to me. Is there a reference to help me figure out the naming conventions of a mold like this???     any advice will be appreciated         thank  you Jace Samsel    

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
454PB posted this 07 July 2008

Wow! That's a lot of moulds.

Unless you are willing to educate yourself, my suggestion would be to take some good close-up digital pictures and post them on a selling site or e-mail them upon request to the membership here (and some other cast bullet forums). I would be interested in seeing the pictures.

Attached Files

JimmyDee posted this 08 July 2008

Identifying molds can be tough.  Some manufacturers use the bullet diameter and weight to identify the mold; some use a diameter and sequence of numbers; others simply assign serial numbers.  Sometimes “extra” numbers are stamped onto molds.  Sometime mold numbers change.

The “single cavity,” "double cavity” part is simple: it is simply the number of bullets that can be simultaneously cast.  But not all molds with two cavities, for example, are double cavity molds: sometimes two different bullets can be cast from a single mold.

In all cases, the manufacturer has to be part of the description.  Besides that, include all the numbers stamped onto the mold and make a list.  I think most of them can be identified from that.  It may seem that pictures are a needless hassle but, if you want to sell them on the web, they help prospective buyers see what condition they're in.

I wish there was one spot you could use as a reference.  I suspect that a collection of that size holds some old, discontinued molds that would be hard to find on the web.  Some of them might be very desirable, some of them virtually useless.  On line auctions might be the best way to get what they're worth out of them.

If he's got that many molds, I'd bet he's got lots of other reloading equipment and supplies lying about.  Can you run down a local friend of his who can help catalog it all?

Attached Files

Tycer posted this 08 July 2008

Hi,

Sorry for your family's loss.

The molds will be worth between $15 and $55 with a couple maybe bringing $100 or more.

Pictures tell 1000 words on molds. Casters are a finnicky bunch and the molds need to be very well taken care of to be of any use. If you would take the time to photograph the inside of each mold and list all the numbers on the outside we can give you a pretty good idea.

All the other loading equipment has value also, no matter how old it looks. Some of the older stuff is quite desirable.

eBay is a good place to sell these items, but I would think Bill would not mind you giving us first crack at his treasures.

Where do you live? Perhaps one of us lives nearby and would be able to help.

Good luck.

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 July 2008

I have had a conversation with Bill once or twice.. I am truely sorry for your loss, I had no idea he had passed.

If you would like I would be happy to help with cropping the pictures and getting them on a web page for you. Ebay is great, but you will chew up a lot of the proceeds in fee's. I think you would do better selling them to CBA members and avoiding as much of the fee's as possible, similar to the way we did the gas check transaction, if this is favorable to you.

Let me know.

Jeff

Attached Files

sundog posted this 08 July 2008

Jsam, condolences to you and your family.

Several years ago, with the help of a couple other folks, I put together several pages of mould information that may be helpful.

http://www.castpics.net/

On the left side go down to 'Moulds' and click once.  It will expand and you will see listings for several mould makers.

Attached Files

Molly posted this 08 July 2008

Hi.  If I may make a suggestion, why not make up a list of the molds, mentioning their general condition, and post it here for bids?  I've used this technique to move some older molds and reloading equipment with considerable success. 

This web site (and “Cast Boolits") has as concentrated a clientelle interested in your molds as you are likely to find.  Putting them up for bid may not give you the absolute top dollar, but it'll move them quickly, as well as insure that nothing is sold for much less than a fair price either.  It'll also save you fron the aggrivation of trying to decipher manufacturer designations, some of which (for some odd reason) have no apparent correlation with the caliber or bullet weight that the mold makes.

If you decide not to post for auction, I'd also like to be copied with the list when you get it done.  I suspect you will have a goodly number of other interested parties.

Regards,

Molly

Attached Files

lordgroom posted this 08 July 2008

I also offer my condolences.  It is difficult enough dealing with the loss of a relative and helping your mother through the emotional pain, now you have the difficult burdon of selling of some of his property.  That is not an envious position to be in.  I cannot offer too many suggestions for information.  I find the members of this site and on cast boolits to be an invaluable resource. You can always look at prices for new moulds on midwayusa.com for a comparison.

Right now, Lyman 2 cavity moulds are on sale at Midwayusa for $55.  Nonsale price is $60-$65 (I think).  On this site I recent committed to buy 2 Lyman 2 cavity moulds for $45 each with shipping included.  I am not certian this helps.  Saeco moulds have a greater value. 

Hope this helps and again I am sorry for your loss.

I feel terrible telling you I would be interested in looking at your list to purchase some moulds, but it's true.

Scott

Attached Files

CB posted this 08 July 2008

It saddens me to hear that we have lost a fellow cast bullet enthusiast. My condolences go out to you and all family members. Met Bill a few time at the National Tournament held at Pioneer Gun Club just North of KS. A very likable and easy going gentleman. Bill also shot in the postal program.

If your not in a hurry to dispose of the moulds, you may want to bring them to the CBA National Tournament that will be held at the Pioneer Club again this year. I'm sure that many would be interested in buying some moulds. But there would be a lot of helpful people to give you and idea as to what you have and also what to ask for them. Out of that many moulds there almost has to be a few rarity's.

Sorry to hear of your loss, Larry Rickertsen

Attached Files

Jsam posted this 09 July 2008

Thank you for the good advice from all who have responded. Since there is no hurry to sell I will most likely try to put them up for bid on this web site a few at a time .

Thank you Jace Samsel

Attached Files

Molly posted this 09 July 2008

One more suggestion if I may:  When you are ready to sell, come back to this thread and post an announcement.  That way, everyone on this thread will  know to take a look.  If you don't, some of us may not get the word in a timely manner.

Regards,

Molly

Attached Files

CB posted this 09 July 2008

Jace, sorry to hear about Bill. We camped at the NT05 at Pioneer and had a couple of visits. Bill was a good shot and a good guy.

Its good the hear you're not in a hurry. I bought some molds at a public auction a year ago for pennies on the dollar's worth. Not a good way to sell. If you sell them here, I'd say the members would give you a fair price and I'd think Bill would be happy the molds go to shooters, with similar in interests like him............Dan

Attached Files

Close