223 bolt action with 7 twist

• Last Post 15 March 2024
2frogs posted this 08 January 2024

Not sure where to post this.. my 223 has a 7 twist barrel. I have a NOE 60 gr gas check mold. Question is what alloy do you think I should try? I was thinking linotype.. or what a lighter bullet be better to try? I appreciate your suggestions.. johnny

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 08 January 2024

John Alexander does pretty well with the 223 using an 85 grain bullet, dont know the length, cast out of 25 to 1 in an 8 twist so I don't think you'll need a lighter bullet. His velocity is 1450 fps. This is all gotten from the 2023 nationals match report. Not to sound snotty but the best way to find out if something will work or not is to try it. Everyone always says that's the fun part of shooting cast bullets. What Im attempting now might cause me to argue the "fun" part of that statement. Hopefully John will see your question and chime in.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
  • MarkinEllensburg
2frogs posted this 08 January 2024

Appreciate your reply. Can't get in the range right now until they plow the road. But I can get a bunch loaded. Thanks again..johnny

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Bud Hyett
delmarskid posted this 08 January 2024

I’ve shot Saeco’s 60g .225” bullet through my 1/7 ar15 carbine. It’s not a match gun but it didn’t do anything squirrely . I cast them from something like no.2.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
pat i. posted this 09 January 2024

Appreciate your reply. Can't get in the range right now until they plow the road. But I can get a bunch loaded. Thanks again..johnny

Just a suggestion but I wouldn't load a bunch until you find out if they're going to shoot. No sense in wasting components, especially nowadays.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
John Alexander posted this 09 January 2024

The NOE 60 grain gas check is an excellent bullet.   Anything from 1 in 14" or faster will stabilize it.  Don't worry that your 1 in 7" twist is faster than needed.  They shoot great in my 1 in 8 or 9 rifles. See my article in Fouling Shot #261 on shooting them in two rifles with good results.  I think you will have better luck with alloys softer than linotype, unless you are going for high velocity. If the nose is the right size for your bore they will shoot.

John

Correction:  I have edited the above. I was thinking of the similar NOE 72 grain bullet when I said I had shot it in completion.  Also when I said it takes a 1 in 10" twist or faster to stabilize.  The NOE 60 will stabilize in the common 1 in 14: twist.  My testing for the article mentioned above used a load of 5.0 grains of TiteGroup which produced 1,560 fps.  The averages of 5 - five shot groups for gas checked bullets were 1.4 moa for the 1 in 14" twist and 0.98 moa for the 1 in 8: twist. I don't think that means that the faster twist is better, but it does show that what some would call an "over stabilized" bullet does just fine.

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 09 January 2024

The NOE 60 grain gas check is an excellent bullet.  I had good luck shooting that design by NEI in CBA competition in the 1980s -- at least at 100 yards.  Anything from 1 in 10" or faster will stabilize it.  Don't worry that your 1 in 7" twist is faster than needed.  They shoot great in my 1 in 8 or 9 rifles. See my article in Fouling Shot #261 on shooting them in two rifles with good results.  I think you will have better luck with alloys softer than linotype, unless you are going for high velocity. If the nose is the right size for your bore they will shoot.

John

I know where NOE got the design for his 62 grain and 72 grain .224 bullets. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
John Alexander posted this 09 January 2024

" know where NOE got the design for his 62 grain and 72 grain .224 bullets."

Do tell. Why be coy?

John

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 10 January 2024

Well John because of fighting on forums and friendships broken, NOE was given a bunch of bullet design drawings that belong to 45 2.1.  I'm not sticking up for him, but they are his designes.  I noticed this when looking at NOE bullets and mentioned to him and the story came out. NOE does, in some instances, change them a wee bit. I'm also going to tell you how close NOE copied the Lyman 8mm. I have both the original Lyman mold and the NOE copy.  I can cast with both and take a bullet from either mold and fit it into the cavity of the other mold!!!!  How's that for close? I know nothing about whether 45 2.1 had his designs patented. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
  • Bud Hyett
John Alexander posted this 10 January 2024

Thanks MP1886

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 10 January 2024

John I don't have a problem with NOE.  I own a few of them and they are well made moulds that cast very good bullets. 

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 10 January 2024

To correct myself,I mean I'm going to cast up a bunch of maybe 100 of them to try. Not load any yet. Probably powder coat afew as well as install the gas checks. Thanks for your reply. Johnny

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 11 January 2024

MP1886,

I agree. I have several NOE molds and all cast well. Al has preformed a real service in offering so many mold designs, including most of the known successful designs.

John

Attached Files

RicinYakima posted this 11 January 2024

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Glenn R. Latham
  • Bud Hyett
2frogs posted this 14 March 2024

They shot good in my 12 twist 223 linotype and powder coated. I used 4227 powder. Only shot to 50 yards. I will be trying this load again. Thanks for all the information.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • pat i.
Fitzpatrick posted this 14 March 2024

Don't know who or what 45 2-1 is but I have somewhere around 50 of  Al's moulds and every one cast just as pretty of a bullet as any mould I have and some are some well known over priced moulds not being made any more , my hat goes to NOE keep up the great work.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • 2frogs
pat i. posted this 15 March 2024

They shot good in my 12 twist 223 linotype and powder coated. I used 4227 powder. Only shot to 50 yards. I will be trying this load again. Thanks for all the information.

What kind of groups were you getting?

Attached Files

2frogs posted this 15 March 2024

5 shots 3/4 inch. I didn't check the muzzle velocity..

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 15 March 2024

Not much to complain about there. Good shooting.

Attached Files

Close