Trail Gun Loads

• 18K Views
  • Last Post 23 November 2009
Grant posted this 01 April 2008

What is your favorite trail gun load? Send me your favorite cast bullet trail gun loads with your comments and I will assemble one or more articles for the Fouling Shot. Email is preferred, macnmac(at)inreach.com. Paper mail may be sent to me, Grant Macomber, at P.O. Box 248, Applegate, CA 95703. Thanks a bunch!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Dale53 posted this 23 November 2009

Don; The .32 S&W Long is a dandy edible small game load. I have a 631 (4"), an SP101 (4"), and a S&W 16-4 (6"), all chambered for .32 H&R Magnum. All of them get shot mostly with .32 S&W Longs.

I have used and enjoyed Wadcutters (both hollow based and solid based) on paper and in the field. However, the last couple of years I have mostly used a Group Buy 100 gr Keith style SWC. My most used load is 2.8 grs of Win 231.

Whether you prefer wadcutters or swc's, the .32 will deliver on edible small game.

Dale53

Attached Files

Don Fischer posted this 13 November 2009

I've never been one to carry a gun along just for the hell of it. If I figured I needed a gun, I took a rifle, usually a mod 660 Rem with 165gr Hornady's. But lately I'm thinking about small game more and just easy walks with the dog's, I got bad knees so need easy walks. Worked up a load for my Smith 38/44 Outdoorsman that's 150gr Keith type HP, mold 358499, that I like real well. 3.4grs Red Dot. Also working on my Smith mod 16 K-32, 32 S&W Long. A 95gr RN From I think it's an Ideal mold #313226. Haven't got quite the load I want in it yet but just started working with some old Dupont #6 powder and likein' it so far. Had a load for it years ago with that bullet and 2.5 grs Super Balistite that was great shooting. Unfortunatelly I'm out of that powder now. That mod 16 is a real joy to carry around.

Attached Files

docbob posted this 11 November 2009

I had a three screw Ruger Blackhawk .357 with 4 3/4” barrel converted to .44 special,using the original barrel. I like the old Lyman 429421 ahead of 7.5 grs Unique.

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 11 November 2009

Rodfac; I am looking forward to your visit. In fact, I noticed that I am about out of .45 Auto Rims. I'll have plenty of those when you get here along with the .44 Specials and .45 Colts.

I hope that you do well fishing. I'm an old fly fisherman, myself, but haven't fished in a while.

Dale53

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 11 November 2009

Geez Dale....how'm I gonna top that target? That's a 50-4x if I talley'd it right! Looking forward to our visit.

Carpenters are about 1/2 done with the reflooring job on our 1st floor as of 4 pm today. I'm leaving for NC and our cabin for some fishing tomorrow leaving momma to oversee the remainder of the job here in KY. I should be back in a week...if the fishing holds up. Taking the Lipsey's .44 and a .357 50th to while away the off stream hours. I'll call you on return. Take care and keep holdin' 'em that tight.

You young turks out there take note...Dale's no spring chicken and that's a 25 yd target shot with his hands, not some stinkin' bench rest.

Regards Rodfac

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 05 November 2009

After dark trail gun load(in cougar country): Mossberg 500, 12 ga buckshot. Daytime load varies from Ruger Single Six ..22 Mag up to S&W M60 with either 158 gr SWC medium power load(any powder handy) or duplicate of old FBI load. After a close encounter with an old maybe 150 .lb cat the hottest trail load I carry was probably in my pants! Anyway, if I'm boonie crashing or rock scrambling in daylight I like my sidearm to be very light. Night time is a very different animal than daytime, when it comes to defensive shooting. Major issues such as target acquisition, sight alignment and muzzle flash ruin all that daytime practiced skills, other than muscle memory. I contacted Speer to get info on their “Short Barrel” loads, they were kind enough to send me a page of load data for their 135 gr. Gold Dot HP.Now beings a cast bullet forum you can easily convert the data to a cast bullet load, but the key points are a 135 gr. bullet and a huge hollow point. For .38 SP+P loads a starting load is Unique, 4.3 gr which achieves 818fps in a 2” barrel. There is loads for the following powders, if anyone is interested; Power Pistol, AA#5,AA#7,HS-6,Viht. 3N37, Unique, H. Universal, PB. Maybe I'm preaching to the choir, but practice shooting at night, that's when threat levels go way up and when it's the hardest to shoot well.    EDIT: My main reason for contacting Speer was to try to find out what powder THEY used in their 'short barrel' loads, which I still don't know. My concern is muzzle flash and how to reduce it. If any of you know more about that I'd like to hear about it.

Attached Files

shjoe posted this 05 November 2009

nice shootin' Tex! i load my 4” S&W model 10 with 158gr cast LRN with 3.2grs bullseye.  or,  my 3 1/4", ported, Ruger 44mag Redhawk with 265gr cast bullets with 20gr 2400. these work in my pistol with very good “trail gun” accuracy out to 25yds. actually never tried them at a greater distance. best, john

Attached Files

Dale53 posted this 04 November 2009

Rodfac; I recently took delivery of a new Ruger SS Bisley Blackhawk 5½” (my preference in barrel length) .45 Colt/.45ACP convertible.

The .45 Colt cylinder throats are just slightly under size and leads with typical .45 Colt loads and the .45 ACP cylinder throats are so under size I can't load my .45 ACP reloads. That will be corrected shortly on both.

I believe this is going to be a fine revolver when I get it “tuned” to my satisfaction.

My .44 Lipsey Special 5½” came with throats perfectly sized and it shoots like a match gun:

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 04 November 2009

This is an old thread but a good one. I've posted before but have another thought to add.

I bought a .45 LC New Vaquero earlier this year but found that it leaded badly and accuracy was in the 3"+ range with good handloads. Slugging the barrel and cylinder throats, I found the throats were on average .002” smaller than the tube itself (.450” vs. .452"). Cylindersmith.com opened the throats up to .4525” uniformly and turn around was about 2 weeks. A great guy to do business with!

Since then I've experimented with Win 231 and Unique, having both on hand in quantity. With Win 231... 6.5 gr works well with any ~250 gr cast bullet I've tried. (A cpl of commercial offerings and Lyman's 454190 and 454424). The old Unique formula of 8.0 gr - 8.4 gr works as well. Win 231 meters better than the Unique through my Dillion press and measure so that's my preference, but Unique is equally accurate.

Packing the Vaquero is a joy on a gun belt with a Threepersons holster (a pic of same in my previous post on this thread) doing the lugging, or more commonly, stuffed into the back pocket of my jeans. I've found the “hog-wallow” rear sight costs me about 1/2” in gp size at 25 yds; but allows the gun to draw well, it never hangs up on shirt cuffs or peels skin off my forearm while riding in the holster and the smooth front sight never has pocket lint or leather dust along its edges. It's a good piece, that Vaquero, accurate, powerful, and fits me to a tee.  The grips are NY Crab Apple cut from a friend's wood pile while still pretty green...shoulda waited another six months to fit them as these have shrunk a bit as they've dried.

Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

crash87 posted this 05 July 2009

Ruger Bisley Vaquero, 44 mag. 4 5/8” with dovetailed front sight installed.

LBT 250gr. LFN gc-air cooled WW-LBT blue soft lube, 10gr. Tightgroup @ 1054fps

With 6 o-clock hold hits to the sights,Interesting is that with this same bullet and 24gr of Lil gun @ 1278fps poi hits 2 1/2” high. Big difference in recoil though but both loads very accurate.

Ruger Bisley, 45 Colt, 5 1/2"

Winchaester 94 Trails end 20"

LBT 250gr. LFN pb.aircooled W.W. 14 gr HS-6 @ 1128fps (Ruger) 1422fps (Win '94)

Bereta Stampede 45 Cot 5 1/2” (I tend to carry this one more than the others)

LBTK 250 Kieth semi wadcutter, 16:1 tin/lead, Blue soft 9.0 gr Univ. Clays @ 830fps.

This load shoots to point of aim about 2” left and as good as I can hold with the sights. Am going to work on this one a little bit yet, but is as good as it gets as is.

Both Ruger have been worked on by a gunsmith who specializes in Rugers. They are both very accurate but, needed work on their triggers and while I was at it stuck a few more $$ in on things like, recut forcing cone, free wheel cylinder, both barrels were cut and custom sights installed, chambers polished, etc. etc.

The Beretta is “as is” the way I bought it except to smoothe up the barrel with lapping. The trigger came, for me anyway, as perfect as the Rugers after I spent the $$.

All groups were were devoloped and shot at 25 yds, only going to 50 and beyond when a good one was found. Eye's it's all about the eye's:shock: While I'm not getting old, they havn't got the message yet;)

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 03 June 2009

Got another good load for the Ruger .44 Special, 6.5 gr of 231,,,moderate pressure signs, Lyman 429215 GC sized .430” with the NRA formula 50-50 Beeswax/Alox. I chrono'd this one at 984 fps. Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 01 June 2009

Dollar Bill, You're right about it being a pleasure to carry, but the weight is considerably more than what Handloader is giving. Jeff Quinn in his article on the piece lists it at 41.8 oz. after measuring it on his scale. I don't have a scale that will do that but it feels the same as my .45 LC Ruger Vaquero in the same barrel length.

Accuracy has been exceptional...I haven't tried a load, in my limited testing to date, that is greater than 1.5” @ 25 yds, sitting with the gun extended between my knees. Lyman's 429215, cast of WW, sized to .432” and lubed with LLA over 7.5 gr of Win 231 or new Unique is the perscription.

I carry it either in a Tom Threepersons type holster of my own making, or stuffed in the right rear hip pocket of my jeans. As Taffin would say, “it's the Perfect Packin' Pistol” for me. Here's cpl of pics if they work...

Regards, Rodfac

Attached Files

JetMech posted this 31 May 2009

Rodfac wrote: S&W M24-3 or more recently, the new Ruger .44 special with a 4 5/8” bbl. Either is loaded with 7.5 gr of Unique behind Lyman's 429215 GC. It's a 950 fps load, authoritative but controllable.

I just read about the new Ruger in Handloader! @ 34oz, I would bet it's a pleasure to carry. How do you like it, Rodfac?

Attached Files

44 Flattop posted this 30 May 2009

Grant wrote: Yesterday morning I was out for my morning walk on a trail in the canyon that was once a wagon road to a mine. On the way uphill, more than a mile from the rim and only one way home, I saw a large, mature bear ahead of me. The bear was unaware of me, having its rear to me. I drew my .45 Colt as I approached the bear. Not wanting to startle it when I was really close, at a paced sixty feet I said, “Hi, there,” in a cheerful voice. The bear looked at me and then lumbered up the trail. I suppose it left the trail when it rounded the next curve, but I watched my back-trail the rest of the way home. I completely forgot that I had pepper spray with me.

A darned good thing you forgot about pepper spray:shock:  You had a 45 Colt! :fire:fire

A few years back the wife and I had a run in with a black bear our own selves.  The doggone critter followed us for about a 1/2 miles in the timber next to us.  When we came to the end of the timber patch he turned and came out of the timber directly toward us with his head down looking directly at us about 20 yards away.  I unlimbered my 44 Flattop with a 270gr cast @ 1100fps and busted him directly in the chest and it came out in front of his right hip.  He whirled and disappeared and I found him about 300 yards away.  First time a bear ever came TO ME when I had a bear tag in my pocket:hunt::D

Turned that tough old critter into about 300lbs of sausage.  Thought about that look on his face when he came out of the timber every time I took a bite!

Attached Files

Grant posted this 30 May 2009

Yesterday morning I was out for my morning walk on a trail in the canyon that was once a wagon road to a mine. On the way uphill, more than a mile from the rim and only one way home, I saw a large, mature bear ahead of me. The bear was unaware of me, having its rear to me. I drew my .45 Colt as I approached the bear. Not wanting to startle it when I was really close, at a paced sixty feet I said, “Hi, there,” in a cheerful voice. The bear looked at me and then lumbered up the trail. I suppose it left the trail when it rounded the next curve, but I watched my back-trail the rest of the way home. I completely forgot that I had pepper spray with me.

Attached Files

aaalaska posted this 21 May 2009

My trail gun is a ruger redhawk loaded with 300 gr hard cast over 20 gr of H 110. Our animals are different than those is the southwest,But if you guys would import a few of our excess griz an turn them lose along the border it might help. Alex

Attached Files

tturner53 posted this 11 May 2009

Great thread! This is one of those topics that really brings out the comments. My favorite all purpose TRAIL gun is a S&W M60, stainless steel, adjustable sights, and a pleasure to carry. It's about as versatile a gun as you get and can be loaded from very mild to fire breather. With the heaviest loads you could penetrate a big bear sideways, all depends on bullet selection. But, for GP use in normal hopefully casual conditions I use the Lee 150 TLSWC over 6.2 grains of SR4756, because it works, the bullets are easy to produce, and I have a lot of that powder. After a terrifying encounter with a big cat in the Sierras I swore I'd never get caught out in the boonies at night again without a 12 ga. pump with night sights. That's my “night” trail gun. You guys in Arizona don't need trail guns, you need close air support!!

Attached Files

Rodfac posted this 11 May 2009

S&W M24-3 or more recently, the new Ruger .44 special with a 4 5/8” bbl. Either is loaded with 7.5 gr of Unique behind Lyman's 429215 GC. It's a 950 fps load, authoritative but controllable.

An alternate is my Combat Commander in .45 ACP with a 200 gr TWC and 5.1 gr of Win 231. Another authoritative load. We live in KY, have a cabin in western NC and like to hike the mountain trails.

Wife carries a 3” Chief Special with adj. sights. Her load is Remington's 125 JHP and 6.5 gr of Win 231. She's deadly, night or day with it..the piece sports a pair of Crimson Trace laser sight grips.

HTH's Rodfac

Attached Files

outsidebear posted this 31 March 2009

For general woods loafing:

1: Colt Single Action Army, .44 Spcl, 4 3/4” barrel, 255 gr flat point or 250 gr Keith or LBT cast bullet, 7.3 grs Unique or Rex 3 powder, standard large pistol primer, 900+ fps, Bob Munden action tuned, very accurate setup.

1. S&W Mountain Gun, .44 magnum, 4", stainless steel, 250 gr Keith or LBT cast bullet. standard large pistol primer, 20.0 grs 2400

2. S&W Model 21-4, .44 Spcl, 4", same load as 1 above

3. Dan Wesson Razorback, 10mm, 1911, 200 gr flat point bullet, loaded to 1250+ fps, a match quality 1911 this is. Will be loading 230 gr cast bullets this spring - a fine penetrating load they should be, at around 1140 fps...

Attached Files

Beans posted this 22 January 2009

"Trail Gun Loads ? Depends on where the trail is and what else likely may be on it. Gotten so dangerous here that the Game Department warns in the annual hunting regulations that anything in Arizona south of Interstate 10 may be a diminished quality hunt due to drug, alien and Homeland Security issues."

Yup I agree. I live 18 miles as the crow flies from the border.:cowboy:

My trail gun in a S&W 657 MG with either 250 Gr SWC or the 175 Gr Winchester Silverips. Depending on if I am going into bear areas or smuggling areas.

Sometimes they are the same area. So sometimes I carry both. the 250 Gr for Bears, The 175 Silvertips for thin skin Predators IE: rabit coyotes, Cougars Etc :fire

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close