Coyote in my back field

• 8.4K Views
  • Last Post 18 November 2009
CB posted this 16 March 2008

I have a colony of 7 barn cats, which is now down to 6 because a coyote got one Friday. I could not get the rifle loaded in time to do this yote in.

So I will look at keep a lever gun behind my door when I am home, here are my choices:

1)Marlin 1895 in 45-70 350 gr RD bullet 2)Marlin 336 in 35 Remington 204 gr Lyman bullet 3)Marlin 336 in 30-30 Win.  200 gr lee bullet

The distance was about 60 yards

I will do a poll to see which one you guys think I should keep at the ready.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes

I wouldn't count on giving a yodel a second chance, something fast like the 30-30 with a 180gr at 2,000fps. They've bred now, so its probably a female looking for a fast easy pickins.

Attached Files

When I have baited yote out, they come and around mating season, I can use my call and they come a running.

I also have the wounded rabbit call, but that seems to work best during the cold and snowy times.

Since last summer, I have taken 9 of them “bad dogs."

Jerry

Attached Files

devin1955 posted this 16 March 2008

I would definately go with the 30-30. Very common caliber, plenty big enough for coyotes, and lower recoil than the others. -Don

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 March 2008

devin1955 wrote: I would definately go with the 30-30. Very common caliber, plenty big enough for coyotes, and lower recoil than the others. Good arguement for the .30-30, however, if you shoot the .45-70 well the range is short and the results more effective with any marginal hits.  Bigger is better.

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

CB posted this 17 March 2008

Ed,

One of my sons, says that gross over kill is the most effective weapon, or was Colin Powell. :)

Jerry

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 March 2008

Actually it's from the SIOP 62  nuclear war plan

http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB130/index.htm>http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/NSAEBB/NSAEBB130/index.htm

73 de KE4SKY In Home Mix We Trust From the Home of Ed's Red in "Almost Heaven" West Virginia

Attached Files

Ed,

That was informative. With the Powell Doctrine, I have to answer these questions:

<>Is a vital http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_security>national security interest threatened? <>Do we have a clear attainable objective? <>Have the risks and costs been fully and frankly analyzed? <>Have all other non-violent policy means been fully exhausted? <>Is there a plausible http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exit_strategy>exit strategy to avoid endless entanglement? <>Have the consequences of our action been fully considered? <>Is the action supported by the American people? <>Do we have genuine broad international support? Which this was based upon Weinberger's doctrine, Powell's former boss.

By the time I answer all of these questions, the coyote will be dispatched. :D

Jerry

Attached Files

Hey Jerry;

We have only killed two coyote here and both were shot with handguns.  My 336 in 35 Rem has brought down close to a hundred deer using 357 cal bullets pushed with either 2400 or 4227. I'm a little biased toward using the 35 rem. 4227 is easy on the ears and the short pistol bullets chamber fast for second shots. For pest type animals I always use hollow points and aim at center of mass. While I haven't used cast bullets for hunting from my micro-groove yet, we are doing some semi-extensive testing and hope to have a usable combination by next season. Here in Florida most shots are taken in the brush so my rifle has never had a scope on it. At sixty or so yds I would think you could easily whack your varmit with the 336. Good luck.

Roy

Attached Files

Roy,

My 336 in 30-30 isn't scoped, but my 35 Remington is. I am planning on using a 357 bullet in the 214gr SWC CB category, or the 204 gr RN CB in the 35 Remington, my 30-30 is load with 170 gr FN CB at the moment.

So I am looking to bait this 'yote out later this week, some old hamburger with a wounded rabbit call should get the pest out in the open.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

Hi Jerry;

It has been only recently that coyote have made a comeback here in Florida so I know little about them. The two we got here had a den and the female had already moved the pups when I stumbled upon it. I expect that there will be a reappearance in the future. The animals we killed went around thirty pounds and were about the same body size of our bobcats but with longer legs. Everything here is smaller than most other places. How big are your critters? One of the dogs I killed with a 44 target load in the chest and my buddy dropped one with a full house 357. You are absoulutly right about them liking cat, especially our yellow ones. We have lost five cats to predation. We have ended up getting a large mongrel because I'm old and lazy and don't like to get up in the middle of the night. I hope you get lucky before the coyotes get full. Keep us posted.

Roy

Attached Files

Roy,

The last male I shoot was 42 pounds. Some get to about 50 pounds, but I haven't seen them. I know the deer in Florida are small, especially the ones in the keys.

I like the one shoot one kill method, so I use a larger more powerful rifle some times, where a hit anywhere can be fatal.

But I am still waiting for when I have my 300 Ultra Mag out, that rifle will turn them inside out.

Take care,

Jerry

Attached Files

Antietamgw posted this 18 March 2008

When I was a kid I used to drag a 700 Varmint in .243 around the home farm. One day, from the edge of the back yard I saw a fox about 250 yds. out. It saw me about the same time and took off giving me a broadside shot. The rifle came up and I managed to roll the fox at a dead run. When my son was 11 or 12, he found a picture of me with my 700 and the fox in an old photo album and asked about it. We were sitting on the back porch after supper overlooking the bottom ground where I'd shot the fox. I showed him the spot, which he knew from the picture.  He asked about lead, which I just didn't remember, probably about 5 feet.  He had been shooting for a few years and was doing well with his .257 Roberts so I posed the question to him - Hey, you see a fox chasing 2 of your Mom's cats across the bottom, where would you hold? He said he'd hold for the fastest cat. I about fell off the porch swing laughing. We didn't realize that Mom was in the kitchen right by the window behind us.  She brought us out a couple bowls of ice cream, which was pretty unusual, and dumped them in our laps. We both got the silent treatment (and no desert) for some time. Hold for the fastest cat has been the standard answer to questions of lead or fox problems since (but NEVER around his Mom!).

So, just shoot the yote with whatever is at hand and don't forget where to hold:)

Keep your plowshare and your sword. Know how and when to use them.

Attached Files

CB posted this 18 March 2008

I have been picking out different rifles every day to have on hand, mostly my Marlin lever guns.

Many years ago I had a 700BDL in 243, went deer hunting with it, great rifle. Wis I hadn't of traded it away.

Thanks,

Jerry

Attached Files

Mnshooter posted this 22 March 2008

Don't overlook the old handy farm gun called a 12 gauge.  They make a special load of heavy shot just for coyotes.  I would keep one handy next to a rifle as sometimes you can use a shotgun where a rifle carries too far.  Little handier on the run too.

Mnshooter

Attached Files

REDTAIL posted this 16 September 2008

put out a critter or a fawn decoy then start calling  like the decoy's are in pain, and see the difference the yotes will come right in, put out some rabbit or deer urine with this setup & good luck and good bye coyotes

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 September 2008

As of today, I have 22 coyote kills on my property. I like the ideal of a 12 guage, but I don't want to be that close to them and in some areas the shot pattern could be too destructive.

If I have a dead G'Hog, I live it own and do my wounded rabbit call, and Wiley Coyote comes out to investigate.

I have been using my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 lately with Thr 350 grain RD bullets, they work very well.

Jerry

Attached Files

CB posted this 16 September 2008

I forgot to mention, that my barn cats have grown to a colony of 11.

Jerry

Attached Files

Ed Harris posted this 17 September 2008

Good on ya!

Attached Files

WadePatton posted this 15 November 2008

Yeah, I'm a day late or two, but I have to say that I've seen photos of a yote popped with a 45-70, and it was not a pretty sight.  Blast them blasted yappers.

I took on a large bobcat with a my 375HH once.  It settled things with authority.  Now I own a naturally bobbed cat--she's safe from my weapons, but I better get a pink collar on her before deer season, dang that's next week.  late again.

WP

Attached Files

CB posted this 15 November 2008

It is never too late for shootin yotes. I am up to 26 as of this week. I have used everything from a 17 HMR to my 300 RUM on them, as well as everything in between.

Jerry

Attached Files

Show More Posts
Close