NEAT OLD IDEAL ARMORY MOLD

• 3.4K Views
  • Last Post 24 March 2008
linoww posted this 15 February 2008

Just bought this thing for my plinking '06 loads.It is a 308241(PLAINBASE) in 8 cavity.Casts nice and round within about .001 and only one cavity is off from the rest.That one is .315/.302/153g while the others are .313/.301/151.5g.I just hope it shoots!!!My single cav. 308241 sure does well.

George

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
Mark Wakefield posted this 25 February 2008

Hi;

I'm new to this. Were did you find the Lyman stile 308241 mold in 8 up? 

That is to say who made such a mold in 8 up?

Did you say you had the same mold Lyman stile 308241 in one up?

I'm looking for a plan bace .313 DIA bullet. Or a plan bace 313 DIA bullet of some kind. 

I don't know if I'll ever find my way back here. Soooooooooo [email protected]/

By BY Mark           

Attached Files

linoww posted this 25 February 2008

Found it on Ebay of all places.I paid $81 plus shipping.Why nobody wanted it i'll never know.it casts very nice bullets.

Geo.

Attached Files

Mark Wakefield posted this 26 February 2008

Hi, George;

Did you say you had the same mold Lyman stile 308241 in one up? 

WOULD you sell the same Lyman stile 308241 mold to me?

Well now that you have the gang mold.....? Y not !!!!!!!!!!!!

George ya got good look'n littel people I see.   :- 0

Mark

Attached Files

linoww posted this 26 February 2008

That single 308241 casts .315 in linotype and is good in my 7.62 x 39's Not up for sale for any price.

George

Attached Files

C1PNR posted this 18 March 2008

Lyman says that mould will go either 125 or 155 grain.  Which one did you get? 

Let me guess, by the looks of them, they're 155 grain.  That should be a real FUN plinker in just about any .30 caliber!:cool:

Attached Files

linoww posted this 18 March 2008

I got the “heavy” I have a light one,but have never tried it.

The mold is doing Ok so far.I shot the 308241 8 cavity this weekend and shot groups with one from each cavity for 8 shot groups. I never could see a pattern, but many had 5 or 6 of the eight under MOA. Most groups were under 1-3/4â€? total. This is with 7.5g of new Unique and a 30BR 22â€? Shilen 1-12â€? twist barrel. When “all the planets were alignedâ€? shooting unsorted bullets from the batch some 5 shot groups were much less than 1â€?.So I at least have a baseline for accuracy for the bullet. It does as well as I had hope for.

geo.

Attached Files

klw posted this 20 March 2008

linoww wrote: Just bought this thing for my plinking '06 loads.It is a 308241(PLAINBASE) in 8 cavity.Casts nice and round within about .001 and only one cavity is off from the rest.That one is .315/.302/153g while the others are .313/.301/151.5g.I just hope it shoots!!!My single cav. 308241 sure does well.

George

Is it marked Ideal or Lyman Ideal?

Those Ideal moulds appeared, I think, in the 1890's.  When Lyman took over they too made them for a while.  Not really sure when production stopped but I would assume that it was in the 1950's.  There were four sizes of these Ideal Armory moulds, six, seven, eight and nine's.  The larger the bullet the smaller the number of cavities.  Back around 1900, I think, all Ideal gang moulds had six cavities.  When the mould design was updated they dropped the 6 and added the 7,8 and 9 cavity sizes.  Of those three the 9's are by far the rarest.  I've never even seen one.

Mould like you pictured show up on E-Bay a couple times a year.  Sometimes you can buy them for almost nothing.  Sometimes they sell for well over $400.  The prices fluxuate wildly.

Because they are at least half a century old most don't produce very good bullets.

Attached Files

linoww posted this 20 March 2008

Is it marked Ideal or Lyman Ideal?it is not marked at all except fot the mold design number.Some I have seen are marked on the Sprue,but not this one.It is the later style with the “stop" by the sprue cutter at back if you noticed.

Not really sure when production stopped but I would assume that it was in the 1950's.  I have a  gun rag from 1954 that Lyman notified the of new 4 cavity mold and the Armory being discontinued.Mould like you pictured show up on E-Bay a couple times a year.  Sometimes you can buy them for almost nothing.  Sometimes they sell for well over $400.  The prices fluxuate wildly.

Because they are at least half a century old most don't produce very good bullets.I got lucky and mine does.But they are very delicate molds with only one alignment pin and the hinge up front doing more than it should.lately the trend seems to be in the $80 to $100 range.But that changes daily<G>                                   George

Attached Files

6pt-sika posted this 22 March 2008

I'd love to have one of these Armory moulds for say the 311041 or 311440 !

Or even better yet the 321295   :dude:

Attached Files

linoww posted this 24 March 2008

I'd love to have those numbers as well.

A friend has a 4-cav 311041 and what a beauty. When he kicks off I'm knocking on the widows door to collect that mold he “borrowed” from me.I hope Bill Anderson isn't reading this. Really the Armory molds are pretty darn delicate.I wouldn't buy one unless you could cast with it first and had a money back guarantee.  

Geo.

Attached Files

Close