WTB 6.5x55 Neck Sizing Bushing Die

• Last Post 4 weeks ago
Oldman 1950 posted this 5 weeks ago

ooops I did it again. This time it is a Swedish 1896 Mauser. I have most of the stuff I need to reload with cast bullets but I'm in need of a neck bushing die. If you have one that is surplus to your needs then let me know and we can talk.

I am also needing a bullet mold but I don't have the rifle yet and will need to do a chamber cast to find out what size bullet I will need.

Thank You,

A. J. Palik

Any day you wake-up sucking air will be a good day

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
MP1886 posted this 5 weeks ago

Probably your best bet is to buy the closet size bushing and then open it up to what you need. Remember that is very dependent on what size case bullet you are going to shoot.  You first have to see what your groove diameter is, but actually you should shoot a cast bullet closest to your throat size.  Remember what ever size your bullet will end up being you only want a inside neck diameter 1.5 thousandths smaller. 

As far of bullets you have to determine what velocity you will be shooting it.  The best bullet I found for all around use is the 130 grain Kurtz. It's a Loverin type bullet, but it doesn't have the narrow bearing bands like Lyman Loverins do.  It think that's what makes that bullet better. 

You're also want to learn how to use 30-06 brass and how to prepare it for use. Best person to talk to about that is Larry Gibson as he knows more about the 6.5 Swede then anyone on the planet including some parts of the Universe.  

Attached Files

pat i. posted this 5 weeks ago

I'm pretty sure I have a Lyman 6.5 mold around here somewhere but would be afraid it'd cast too small for a Swede. I think it might be 140 grs, haven't looked at in a long while. If you’re interested at all drop me a pmband I'll look for it.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 5 weeks ago

Why not a Lee Collet die? You only need one no matter if you decide to size to a different diameter. No lube, no lube removal. 

Attached Files

linoww posted this 4 weeks ago

the NOE version of the Lyman 266469 in .270 diameter made my Swede come alive. Drive them about1400 fps and just smile. The Lee collet die works great as John suggested.

Brass is readily avaliable for the 6.5x55 so making from 30-06 isn't necessary.

"if it was easy we'd let women do it" don't tell my wife I said that!

Attached Files

Oldman 1950 posted this 4 weeks ago

I am waiting for the rifle to arrive. I will do a chamber cast first and then see what I have to work with. I do have my eye on the NOE 270-136-fn-al5. I always said that I don't want a military rifle as I have 6 rifles in 32-40. My CPA also has barrels in 25-35 and 30 Wesson but a year ago I bought a 1895 Chilean Mauser in 7x57. Don't tell anyone but I like to play with such things. I have the 1895 dialed in with an NOE bullet, cast in W/W + 4% tin. The brass I use is 270 Win modified, powered with 4227and running about 1800 fps and on a good day it will shoot 1.25" @ 100 yds off the bench with a 6 power scout scope. These old eyes would like a higher powered scope but the rules are the rules. I have bitten the bullet and have 100 Lapua 6.5x55 brass on the way. 

P.S. I don't wait very well.  I want it NOW.   LOL

A. J. Palik 

Any day you wake-up sucking air will be a good day

Attached Files

MP1886 posted this 4 weeks ago

I'm going to save you some time Oldman.  Here is the CIP (that's the European version of the U.S. SAAMI specs).  As you can see the chamber neck dimensions is very fat.  I've converted the mm's to decimal for you. These are shown on the drawing under chamber dimensions as H1 and H2 as the 6.5 Swede has a tapered neck section in the chamber.  Those measures are:  7.65 mm = .3033 and 7.55 mm = .297.  I can tell you the groove diameter is going to run around .265 or larger. 

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • RicinYakima
  • Ken Campbell Iowa
Close