Twist for Win 1892 25-20 barrel

• Last Post 28 May 2017
Balhincher posted this 26 May 2017

I recently bought a 92 Winchester (1898 vintage according to serial no.) I measured the barrel twist with a brush on a cleaning rod. I am getting something in the 18" to 19" range and that seems slow to stabilize the bullets often used in a 25-20 (eg 86 gr factory ammo or 85 gr cast).  I'm just wondering if anyone knew was what the twist "should" be for this 1892.

i would also welcome suggestions for mold designs (available now, not old obsolete ones) that work well in 25-20. I believe I'd prefer to have a gc design to allow velocities in the 1500 fps range without lots of tweaking. I've been looking at the NOE 80 gr and 85 gr molds. Any experience with those?  Apparently the RCBS mold is only plain base.

Any comments or hints about getting this rifle going would be welcomed. 

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
bushranch posted this 27 May 2017

Twist - 25-20 Winchester of this vintage is likely 1 in 14

Attached Files

rmrix posted this 28 May 2017

I have the NOE 80 grain in a 4-cavity. 2-PB - 2-GC. A nicer bullet you could not ask for. I am pleased.

I drive the GC bullets fast with some  AA2200 obtained cheap from years ago, and the plain base version, slower with 5.5gr Hercules 2400 and a 0.3gr  tuft of Dacron.

Attached Files

John Alexander posted this 28 May 2017

Mine is ten years newer than yours and has a 14 inch twist.

I asked Veral Smith to send me what he considered the best mold for it and received an 82 grain mold that casts bullets that look like NOE 26080RF GC but with a slightly longer nose.  They shot well from the start and I would have won several of the CBA's Lever, Pump, Auto postal matches if it hadn't been for Dan Hudson and his danged remington pump.  Five shot group averages are about 2" or a little smaller at 100 yards. Mine have all been of COWW or softer.

I would be glad to send a batch or you can cast your own when you drop by. 

John

Attached Files

Close