The .270 Winchester

• Last Post 11 March 2024
Pigslayer posted this 07 March 2024

I've been hunting whitetails for many years. In my early twenties I found the money to buy my first new deer rifle. A Ruger Model 77 .270 Winchester. I can't think of a finer caliber for hunting deer. I have never tried to use cast bullets for this caliber. In fact I have never read any comments having to do with cast bullets in that caliber. I'm thinking that the long neck might be an issue. So if anyone has any comments, suggestions, load data etc. I'd love to hear from you.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Order By: Standard | Newest | Votes
pat i. posted this 07 March 2024

Are your plans to hunt with cast bullets in the thing?

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 07 March 2024

Maybe. Gotta get it to shoot cast first.

If someone else had of done to me what I did to myself . . . I'd have killed him. Humility is an asset. Heh - heh.

Attached Files

Pigslayer posted this 10 March 2024

Thing??

Attached Files

Idahocaster posted this 10 March 2024

I have shot cast bullets in the 270. They work just fine. The only problem I've had is that the only mold I've had access to is a lightweight 115gr loverin design. Shoots great, but not a hunting bullet! Unless you can find something north of 150gr with a flat nose or hollow point I would think hunting might be tricky.

One thing I have put together but not had a chance to shoot yet (waiting for the snow to melt) is a paper patched 6.5 cast bullet.

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • Pigslayer
Ken Campbell Iowa posted this 10 March 2024

just a thought on a slow Sunday ..

i wonder why that a 115 gr bullet in a 25-06 is a sure death killer on deer ...  maybe even over-kill ... but a 115 gr bullet in a 270 ( 0.010 fatter on a side )  is not just as good .... ? ...

ok, maybe my Sundays should speed up a little ...

ken

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • mashburn
Idahocaster posted this 10 March 2024

In my experience light bullets need velocity. Most of my cast bullet rifle loads are around 1800 fps. The 115gr bullet at that velocity would work well for small game I expect, but I'm not sure how well it would work on deer size game without the ~3000 fps you would get with jacketed bullets. I fully admit to not being a real experienced hunter, so other's opinions may carry more weight than mine.

Attached Files

SkinnerD posted this 11 March 2024

Its a conundrum that has long puzzled me. If a 100gn SP FB bullet in one calibre at 2900FPS will do the biz, why won't a 100gn SP FB do the same in another calibre at that same velocity? Ok, with a wide gap in bullet dia the BC will be lesser on the larger cal, which speaks to accuracy, but if the two bullets can be expected to perform similarly on impact in terms of penetration and wound channel...

John - New Zealand

Attached Files

• Liked by
  • delmarskid
Close